+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, New to RM and CC3 - Advice for going forward? in Technical; Thanks for the tip Kili, will bear that in mind. Waiting to hear back from management how they want to ...

Thank Post
    Thanks for the tip Kili, will bear that in mind. Waiting to hear back from management how they want to deal with the fact that we are teetering on the brink of disaster...

One odd thing I've noticed is that after a workstation logs on, explorer.exe will hog the processor for about 20 seconds. It's not a huge deal but it makes the log on process about twice as long as it should be. I don't really have time right now to troubleshoot it (and I have been bugging RM non-stop about much larger problems), just wondered if anyone had experienced anything like that before. Seems to happen on all workstations with all levels of user.

Thank Post
    With CC3, your logon isn't complete until the Logoff button in the bottom right has loaded, and even then the start menu is sometimes still generating.

As for the updates, well you can download them from the RM Knowledge base, and they contain the information on which packages will then need to be deployed out to the stations, and the good news is you can normally get away with running multiple updates without rebooting the server between each set. I often have had to do 3 or 4 months worth of "updates" on the server in 1 reboot as we don't have sufficent downtime available with our users online all the time.

3. Thanks to Boredguy from:

martyarf (16th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi martyarf,

First up, I would make sure that the network is up to Service Release 6.
    Next I would check whether the machines are running XP SP3, if not, I think the best thing to do would be to slipstream SP3 into the build area as the RM SP3 package is rubbish (if you need any guidance with this give me a shout).
    Then wade through all the updates you missed and allocate them out.
    Then I think I would probably work through the machines rebuilding them.

5. Thanks to sparkeh from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by martyarf View Post
    And I'm back!

I have learned one thing so far - never assume anything. Turns out that there have been no security updates applied to either the server or workstation since installation - in 2007. I'm kind of terrified. There are at least 60 hotfixes I need to apply, and figuring out how they intersect with SP3 is going to be... fun. Also, backups were not working. This is going to be "exciting".
    Ok looks like you've inherited the worst case scenario. Your going to need access to the RM website so you can download all of the relavent service releases, hotfixes, service packs and hardware support packs.

Getting the network and workstations up to date is a high priority because without all of the windows updates installed the servers and workstations are extremely vunerable to virus attack regardless of antivirus software. Infact it wouldnt suprise me if you had viruses on the network already, which could explain some of the slow/poor workstation performance.

My Priority list would be this:

1. Change SystemAdmin, Administrator, Setup passwords. Check if there are any other Administrator accounts created.
    2. Make sure you have antivirus and that it is up to date.
    3. Install all RM hotfixes, service packs etc. It will take you a couple of days I recon to install them all on the server(s).
    4. Allocate hotfixes and service packs out to the workstations (test on a couple of stations first).
    5. Run Microsoft Malitious Software Removal Tool across network.

Hopefully by now you should have a reasonably up to date and virus free network.

Now you can focus on more long term problems such as inventories, network / internet speed, slipsreaming SP3 into the RM build area and rebuilding all workstations. (best way of doing it if you can).

Good luck! And if you need more info give us a shout.

Butuz

7. Thanks to Butuz from:

Thank Post
    Hi Martyarf, which school in Bournemouth? I manage the IT at Oakmead College and Elmrise primary. If you need any help just let me know and I can drop by.
    Dan

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Hi martyarf,

First up, I would make sure that the network is up to Service Release 6.
    Next I would check whether the machines are running XP SP3, if not, I think the best thing to do would be to slipstream SP3 into the build area as the RM SP3 package is rubbish (if you need any guidance with this give me a shout).
    Then wade through all the updates you missed and allocate them out.
    Then I think I would probably work through the machines rebuilding them.
    Thankfully they are running SR6. I've also noticed that a few newer machines that were installed separately in classrooms are running SP3. If you have any advice on slipstreaming SP3 that would be great, I'm resolved at this point to rebuilding everything, it's just too much of a risk to do anything else. Management really want me to wait till the end of term, which will at least take the pressure off. I used nLite a long time ago (I think to slipstream SP2 for my own use), how does it intersect with CC3? I haven't touched any of the building tools. The guys up top are more interested in

OakNetMan, thanks for the offer! I've sent you a PM with my whereabouts, didn't want to say it publicly in case of prying eyes.

This isn't in the right section but just a quickie: the setup here is Cisco 877 non-wireless router -> hub? (branded Excel but I haven't looked for a model number) -> Zyzel switch -> workstations and server. If I want to add a wireless AP to this that would have access to the server shares, would it be as simple as hooking it up to the switch and turning off its DHCP? Not something I've done before, and there's no kit around that I can test it with, and its not like anyone knows how this thing is set up lol. I dare not touch the rats nest of cables.

Thank Post
    Download nlite & install it
    Copy the xpbuild folder to the local machine (Can be found in the RMRebuild share)
    Download xpsp3 standalone installer
    Run nlite and choosing service pack option, point to the xpbuild copy on local computer, point to the sp3 update exe, wait for it to complete
    Rename the xpbuild folder on the server then copy back the splitstreamed xpbuild folder.

Now you can either create new locations within the RMMC, and ensure that the old SP1 and SP2 hotfixes are not applied, or you can just rebuild the station into the same location and it will happily list any package it was unable to install with "NOT_INSTALLED (OS VERSION)" in the computers.ini file
    The hotfixes from RM that claim to be for SP2 & SP3 will need a bit of tweaking.
    Go into the \server\packages\tools folder and then into one of the folders (such as XP SP2 and SP3 ATL Security Update KB973908), then the version folder.
    With there you will find a .ini file.
    Edit the file and ensure that the OS line reads as follows OS=5.1.2WS, 5.1.3WS
    The 5.1.3WS will ensure that the package gets applied to SP3 stations. Some of the original hotfixes did not contain this value.

11. Thanks to Boredguy from:

martyarf (21st June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know that this was mentioned in the post above but it worth reiterating: **Take a copy of the current build area before you start** If anything goes wrong you can always go back to the old build area.

13. Thanks to sparkeh from:

martyarf (21st June 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12