+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Summer Plans in Technical; Originally Posted by irsprint84 *VLAN No whiteboards this year Oh i forgot to add, Setup Vlans across the school (working ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    *VLAN
    No whiteboards this year
    Oh i forgot to add, Setup Vlans across the school (working out howto first!) for CCTV, IP Phones and another.

Work around builders for installing the 350 new machines as the classrooms are not yet built and manage installation by 3rd party for IWBs.

rad
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    2.unbox/install 350 new machines to desks add to fog and image with new win 7 image.
    3. reinstall further 600 school machines with new windows 7 image.
    Time to get help in, if you have ever done installs to that number, the first 30 are fun, the other 300 odd will be so boring you never ever want to work on a production line in your life.

For me,
    Week 1 - Hol
    Week 2 - Work
    Week 3-4 - Hol
    Week 5 Hol
    Week 6 - Work

3 different holiday locations, Essex, Isles of Scilly and then Greece, bring on the Summer....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    Time to get help in, if you have ever done installs to that number, the first 30 are fun, the other 300 odd will be so boring you never ever want to work on a production line in your life.

For me,
    Week 1 - Hol
    Week 2 - Work
    Week 3-4 - Hol
    Week 5 Hol
    Week 6 - Work

3 different holiday locations, Essex, Isles of Scilly and then Greece, bring on the Summer....
    B******!!

I've got one technician who is leaving on the 22nd July but we have employed 3 of our Student Technicians (6th formers who have helped out throughout the year). This gives that a bit of a thank you and they know have tto install all the machines/ use fog etc already so its them being bored. but they sometimes need to be directed a bit more then somebody with more experience! But it gives them a little boost towards there uni funds.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lordasb View Post
    @ soulfish enjoy ;-) did that when we moved to our new building they are allways running late on building them...

in for 2 weeks this summer - job list will be to hit our helpdesk and clear some of the longer jobs which you cant get done during the normal term as the classes are full...

set some rules on my equitrac and move a photocopier and printer, and montior the apperntice person whos here for a year.

might look at building a webpage which pulls the current loged on persons details via single sign on to show them how much money they have in easytrace.
    @lordasb: whilst we are confident you will be able to get at this info you may be interested that there are reports in Easytrace that already provide this information. But if you like you can use the view - dbo.report_balances_by_customer and copy the query out with a were clause at the end into which you can parse the customer ID from the customer table. How this is identified by your SSO is probably something clever in AD but we do in some instances populate the 'Company' field in AD with a unique idetifier which can be used to cross reference.

Need any more help feel free to post

Regards

Easytrace Support Team

Thank Post
    @ easytrace

its something i was going to bring up at the first user group meeting but dont have a eta on date for first meeting yet. (edit in fact it was down to be voted on for 4/5/6th of may but never had any info on when it would happen)

i have the users student number in both easytrace, cmis and AD with the easytrace csn number now importing ( or be it manually at present to city field in AD ) just need to sort the sso Ident out via a web page.

thanks for the info will have a look see and start a new post as needed

Thank Post
    Here's what I've got so far for my "Summer Holiday" plans.
    This was C&P'd from a Word doc so there might be my own comments/reminders in here as well as an actual plan!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Removing of equipment

Servers, Core Switch and CCTV equipment to be removed from current room

All PC’s removed from benches (14x desktops + Site Agents PC move into new office? Replacement laptop instead? Set up of laptop?)

All laptop trolleys to be removed from the room, stored in corridors (pupils not an issue).

All spares (cabling, keyboards, screens, anything in boxes) removed from room.

All safes, lockable units and anything else left belonging to ICT to be removed from room.

ROOM CLEARED READY FOR BUILDING WORKS TO START.

Deploying of equipment (1) – New Infrastructure and basic storage

Servers to be installed (if possible) into the new Server Room (if it is ready).

CCTV – going into Server Room? Camera relocation, separate switch, networkable?

Laptop trolleys to be positioned in corridors, all together is possible (KS1 and 2 distribution)

Any other equipment to be stored where possible, in new office is it’s ready, with trolleys if not?

[ X COMPANY ] to install all new cabling after ripping old cabling out – THIS WILL AFFECT BEING ABLE TO SET UP SOME EQUIPMENT QUITE SEVERELY, might not be able to get all new kit set up in the holiday if [ X COMPANY ] take too long to get the new network up and running.

Setting Up

Laptops and Netbooks in trolleys need to be set up (standard image, including drivers for digital cameras, microphones, printers in that year group and so on) and deployed in trolleys to correct year group leader’s room. CANNOT BE DONE UNTIL THE NEW NETWORK IS READY, Ghosting will be difficult due to no hard-wired network room, alternatives or use switches for 6-8 machines at a time in classrooms?

6 Laptop trolleys need configuring with power cables as required.

Write “Rules for Use” and place on the side of trolley for pupils? Write basic agreement for staff to sign about usage / responsibility to get key for trolley (no key given out until all members of the year group have signed it). 1 Key per laptop trolley, to stay with it at all times.

Old ICT Suite PC’s – use/place for them? Still some life left in them, small work area perhaps?

Set up my office (if it is ready to do so).

All classes need a Windows 7 profile for using the Laptops / Netbooks.

Check all the GPO’s for Staff, Pupils and Admin. Tweaks needed for Windows 7 machines probably.

New profiles and email accounts for new staff (see attached list)

Set up of new laptops for new staff (if required?)

Printers to be re-located in each classroom and configured to use DHCP with CAT6 cable to wall trucking, removal of wireless print server boxes from each printer.

CAT6 network cable to be deployed in each classroom for teacher’s network port use.

Deploying of Equipment (2)

Any more minor servers or computers that could not be installed due to building work earlier in the summer get done now.
    CCTV cameras to be installed? Cabling to be done at the same time (roughly?) as [ X COMPANY ] data cabling?

Re-installation of projectors / IWB’s into classrooms once work has finished on the refurbishment of the classrooms; depending on the works’ timescale some might have to stay down for the time being.

Housekeeping

Usual server updates, physical clean of all equipment, virtual clean of all management PC’s, Admin/Finance Pc’s, Printers and so forth.

Sort out of recycling, kit no longer required and repair / re-home anything salvageable from classrooms.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's what I've got so far, there's bound to be more come up nearer the time.
    Gonna be an oh-so fun 6 weeks............

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12