+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Software migration from CC3 to 'a' another provider in Technical; I have a question from a consortia of schools in relation to software licensing and on their behalf looking for ...
    Thank Post

Software migration from CC3 to 'a' another provider

I have a question from a consortia of schools in relation to software licensing and on their behalf looking for advice.

They are moving away from CC3s networks to a Vanilla based platform but have encountered confusion from RM that they would need to re-purchase all of their software including Office, RM Maths etc...?

Can this be dictated or are the reasons to why these licences are not owned by the school?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    For some resold software, such as RM Virus Protect (actually Symantec Antivirus), this is true and is in the licence terms.

For Office, it almost certainly isn't true. I think Microsoft might have something to say about this, so I will point someone this way and see if they would like to comment.

As for other RM software such as RM Maths, Colour Magic, etc, I'm not convinced. If it was, I think RM would have told me when I rang them to cancel my CC3 support contracts due to going vanilla. I even explicitly asked them about things like this since we still use the RM SmartCache.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 8th June 2011 at 06:35 PM.

Thank Post
    I had it confirmed to me that any Select licenses purchased from them (so all of our Office 2003 / 2007 licenses) were invalid after moving away from CC3. It's sold under their own Select agreement and as such you aren't permitted to install it anymore. After pushing a bit further they said that it's only valid on pre-installed RM hardware or when installed from a CC3 server. I them decided that I was installing it from an old CC3 server that I had joined to the new domain - according to my account manager this is good enough. When we didn't renew contracts they didn't mention any license issues, this all happened about 3 months afterwards and we couldn't afford to re-buy it all again.

Thank Post
    Surely moving from CC3 to any other provider would not affect seperate applications such as RM Maths etc since it has nothing to do with the platform license.

Thank Post
    Yes, as far as I know everything else is fine - it's just that RM will sell you Microsoft licensing on their own Agreement which is only valid when using their platform.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    RM will sell you Microsoft licensing on their own Agreement which is only valid when using their platform.
    This is the bit I'm dubious about - what's special about their agreement that ties it to their largely unrelated CC3 product?

Tim Bush (MS Education Marketing Manager) has got back to me on Twitter that he will try to get to the bottom of this from his end tomorrow. I suspect he will update here directly; if not, I'll pass on his response.

7. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

AndrewC (8th June 2011)

Thank Post
    It is on their sales documentation /quotes if you read the small print. The biggest problem seems to be that they aren't making people aware of this until you try to leave or have left.

Thank Post
    Love the small print, fingers crossed there's an amicable solution round this as enough budgeting around cuts is hard enough let alone being told to re-purchase what they already have!

Thank Post
    From a logical point of view, moving from CC3 to another network solution does not mean you have stop using other products that you have paid for.
    The license agreement for Office would be seperate from either your CC3 or CC4 station licensing, and you would imagine that as the select license is for your establishment it would remain yours.
    They are just a reseller of MS licenses, the same as hundreds of other suppliers and I can't say I remember any such clause in our Select paperwork when we started to use one of our other suppliers, but I am glad we're now looking as the EES licensing scheme now.

Thank Post
    EES is very cost effective when replacing a significant quantity of equipment at the same time :-)

Thank Post
    Hi All

I've just heard that a primary school that had a cc4 network now has to re purchase software like clicker 5 as RM sold under some form of oem license

I contacted cricksoft and they agreed that RM do this but don't let the schools know or as mentioned small print

So as per one of the posts if they keep the server on site and just link it to the new server then I see no reason to have to buy anything again.

Thank Post
    This is shocking from RM and something that I feel needs to be investigated further.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To quote the rm website.

Microsoft RM-Select Licences

RM holds a Microsoft Select Agreement for Schools and can sell licences under this, providing that RM install the software through one of the methods below:

Pre-installation on hardware - when software is preinstalled on a PC, laptop or Tablet PC
    Installation over a Connect network - when an RM installation pack is used, such as the Office Application Libraries or Other Curriculum Choice packs
    Installation by an RM installation engineer
    To obtain further advice on whether the RM-Select Agreement will work for your school, please call RM Sales on 08450 700 300

Thank Post
    Yeah, and then right underneath that it says:

Right to run software indefinitely as this is a perpetual licence.
    Misleading a little?

Thank Post
    Here is a response from Microsoft received:

"Schools own the licenses under Select, and don't have to buy them again, so moving away from CC3/4 will not impact on the validity of any perpetual licensing. If schools are licensed under the RM schools agreement then again, moving away from CC3/4 has no impact - but the school will continue to need to pay annual subscription via RM, or another reseller, if they want to continue using the software.

So in summary schools do not need to buy again if they are using select licences."

So a lit more clarity on this and handy to know, hopefully those looking into such systems will find this useful and procure licences directly from an OEM partner or any VL agreement (naace for example) where it doesn't tie any relations to one partner

17. Thanks to AndrewC from:

Butuz (16th June 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast