+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Ranger V CC3 in Technical; Hi, As you all may be aware, I am currently looking to implementing a new networked system during the summer ...

Thank Post

Ranger V CC3

Hi,

As you all may be aware, I am currently looking to implementing a new networked system during the summer break.

I have now just come across Ranger. How does this fair against CC3 and even a vanilla build?

I look forward to reading your comments.

Thanks

Thank Post

Re: Ranger V CC3

Have a good search for CC3 and ranger and you will find many varied opinions. There are plenty of good reasons for and against and it usually comes down to you kind of institution you are in and you staffing levels/structure etc.

So lets all please play nice and not have the usual flame fest that this kind of topic usually ignites :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

So lets all please play nice and not have the usual flame fest that this kind of topic usually ignites
    Awwwwww

/goes off and sulks in the corner

Thank Post

Never used CC3 but Ranger wins on cost overall and from what limited knowledge I have of CC3, Ranger is easier to administer and configure to your requirements.

We don't use either now, we went native last summer.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I get the feeling that ranger is easier to uninstall and go native. This may not be a problem now but it will happen to you or your successor the solution you buy now will have out grow it's usefulness. Any system you get should have an exit strategy.

Also with CC3 most people buy RM Servers. This means that have to get a someone out to change or replace parts as it a sealed box.

Thank Post

Think of Ranger as a good half-way point between vanilla at one end and CC3 at the other.

My advice is to have a good techie demo of Ranger and then ask yourself

a. What you could do yourself
    b. How much hassle would it be to do yourself

Balance these against the costs and talk to others.

Nicolabs points above are spot-on.

Thank Post

Would go with that view too :-

We're a Ranger school (we've got Ranger for networks & Ranger Remote) and we've had it since around v3 (1998ish i think) - before my time for sure.

We had it with 9x, when it was defiantley needed and we've just of kept it - indeed, we only use it for curriculum desktops now.

Kyle

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 766 Posts

CC3 is about to be surpassed by CC4 which allows the NM to install from DVD on a server of his or her choice. The MMC is now an application which is also installable so you pays yer money and ya makes yer choice.

If you have 2 or more technicians to help you then i would go for vanilla but if you are on your own or have limited technical bodies then a management overlay is the way forward to save time.

I don't want to get into which is best or cost effective as they are all much of a muchness today it's down to your individual preferences and how you want the school to move forward.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nicholab

Also with CC3 most people buy RM Servers. This means that have to get a someone out to change or replace parts as it a sealed box.
    Not technically true RM server you can open up and fix yourself if wish.

Just lot of us be that rm or not rm often have hardware support contracts for critical equipment like a server.

Russell

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Any one got Ranger suite near Kingston upon Thames / Heathrow?

How does that build process for systems go does it build off the network card?

Is the same number of techs required for a CC3 and Ranger system?

What is software deployment like?

Is the level of support as good?

(Sarcasm)*//How do you live with out quality RM server (Intel) behind your system. //*(Sarcasm)

Thank Post

Ranger does not have a server or workstation build process. Most Ranger users use Ghost or RIS to re-image a machine and then install the Ranger client once it has completed with a simple logon.

Package Builder is a good 'snapshot' installation tool but only as good as 'snapshots' installations are. Most sites use this or an MSI via Active Directory depending on the app.

I think the level of support is very good. However, to be fair it is just a software product they need to support as opposed to RM to have to support everything you might call about.

PM me if you want some sites local to you to talk to.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Do people have reliable networks with out RM CC3 and an army of techs. My network manager does not believe this is so. Or what about using non RM hardware with CC3 we this damage the quality support. I would like are next server for SIMS to be a HP as it has a TCP offload engine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@nicholab

Hardware can use what you like don't have to go with rm hardware your choice support still exact same.

As for army of tech's it all depends are we talking two people, 3,4 or like Tony 2989898989 tech's

What else is under your remit do you need to focus on strategic stuff, do you need to focus on successful implementation, vle's ....

No don't need any army but you need to get set-up right and take your time it takes 6-8 weeks to put a stable ice creamed flavoured solution in. Have you got the time..

What ever solution need to look at pro's and con's of all of them and decide what is best for you??

Russ

Thank Post

Do people have reliable networks with out RM CC3 and an army of techs. My network manager does not believe this is so.
    The vast majority of the world has reliable networks without CC3. The ONLY time i would recommend CC3 is when you have the IT Teacher in charge of the network and no technicains, then CC3 takes the role of "Network Manager/Technician". But when you have onsite technicians there is simply no excuse for having CC3. Back in the 90's there was a case for Connect 2.x , as most schools needed to use Windows 9x and they just simply were not designed by microsoft for the school enviroment and they were lacking the tools for managing them in the school enviroment, those tools were with NT (Microsoft Systems Manager) and most school apps would not run on NT 4 Workstation. RM did a half decent job in making tools for 9x clients and made it worth spending the money, even in the older days of Windows 3.1, the RMNETLM system made 3.1 easy to manage. But now NT is on everyones desk almost in the form of XP and the tools are there out of the box from Microsoft, with the exception of print quota.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers
    Do people have reliable networks with out RM CC3 and an army of techs. My network manager does not believe this is so.
    The vast majority of the world has reliable networks without CC3. The ONLY time i would recommend CC3 is when you have the IT Teacher in charge of the network and no technicains, then CC3 takes the role of "Network Manager/Technician". But when you have onsite technicians there is simply no excuse for having CC3. Back in the 90's there was a case for Connect 2.x , as most schools needed to use Windows 9x and they just simply were not designed by microsoft for the school enviroment and they were lacking the tools for managing them in the school enviroment, those tools were with NT (Microsoft Systems Manager) and most school apps would not run on NT 4 Workstation. RM did a half decent job in making tools for 9x clients and made it worth spending the money, even in the older days of Windows 3.1, the RMNETLM system made 3.1 easy to manage. But now NT is on everyones desk almost in the form of XP and the tools are there out of the box from Microsoft, with the exception of print quota.
    ohhh I think we are going over past ground here quackers has his view I have mine...

What will say it all depends on local situation having techies does not mean you should not have or have rm many school have techies and have rm in.

What ever solution you choose should be right for you I know what is right for us I know I have got better things to do than design a network from scratch.

I know for us my time is better spent on strategic stuff.

It all depends on on your local situation...

@quackers can I ask what experience have you had with cc3 just out of interest always interested when people say 'rm no way' what experience they have had with cc3.

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast