+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Moving from RM CC4 to Windows Network in Technical; Originally Posted by Jose Instead of trying to argue with me maybe you could help the original poster by pointing ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose View Post
    Instead of trying to argue with me maybe you could help the original poster by pointing out what RM tools do that vanilla and free tools can't.
    Well at least this we can agree on, which is why I made a suggestion earlier on the in the thread (perhaps you didn't read it), why your anti RM comments were unnecessary and why I will refrain from any further debate.

Anyway to get back on track : @OP further to my previous suggestion its worth taking a look at LanView 4, it might not be supported any longer but I still find it very useful.

2. Thanks to sparkeh from:

Jose (17th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Been quite a few replies on this thread, and I will admit to not reading all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by tj2419 View Post
    We are going to set up a test environment in the school with a laptop trolley. Could this be achieved by setting up a seperate OU on the server and having the laptops running to that?
    Yes this is perfectly possible to do, and is infact the option we ourselves have gone down for our migration (why replace the DC and add the extra workload of re-creating users and passwords!)
    We currently have 380 CC3 clients, 120 vanilla XP clients and 6 vanilla Windows 7 clients all running on our RM CC3 network and happily working together.

Add a new OU, ideally outside of the RM's "Establishment" tree, and set no inheritance to the OU. You can then create new GPO's for windows 7 stations within this OU, and as long as your stations reside within it you will be ok.

If you want to have roaming profiles, you will need to adjust the security permissions on the servers Profile shares. If you set the RMStudentProfiles to have "XXX Students" with write access, then the users .v2 folders will automatically be created when they first use a Windows 7 station.

Some replacement applications have been mentioned, such as WPKG for package deployment, which works very nicely, and if you use the WPKG-GP addon, it shows a basic software deployment prior to the logon screen similar to the RM AppAgent.

Classroom mangement (aka RM Tutor) has several options available, from Imperio to NetSupport and lots of others inbetween. It depends on your budget and what features you want.

Windows deployment can easily be done via WDS these days if you want a basic solution, all the way up to MS SCCM. For a nice middle ground, we went with using the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010, which creates a litetouch WIM file for deploying via WDS, but also adds in installation tasks similar to SCCM, so you can target specific computers to have a full 1 visit PC imaging solution, that once configured is so simple you can get a trained tea-maker to boot the PC into PXE and select the Litetouch then go back to getting your beverage of choice ready for you.

Oh also forgot, if your servers are still Windows 2003 (and not R2) you will want to perform the AD Schema upgrade to 2003 R2 if you want to be able to deploy printers via the GPO. We updated our network at Easter and have had no issues with any of the RM componants.
    Last edited by Boredguy; 3rd June 2011 at 06:51 PM.

4. Thanks to Boredguy from:

tj2419 (19th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Well at least this we can agree on, which is why I made a suggestion earlier on the in the thread (perhaps you didn't read it), why your anti RM comments were unnecessary and why I will refrain from any further debate.

Anyway to get back on track : @OP further to my previous suggestion its worth taking a look at LanView 4, it might not be supported any longer but I still find it very useful.
    Do you use Lan view by any chance? I do like it but is there a easy way like other classroom management software to view multiple screens?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234