+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Moving from RM CC4 to Windows Network in Technical; Originally Posted by sparkeh So what's new I see lots of threads like this and sadly people are too quick ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    So what's new

I see lots of threads like this and sadly people are too quick to trot out the "We/some I know had a CCx network ruled by the evil overlord RMator* who whipped the pupils everyday until they were saved by Prince Vanilla and now the sun shines every day, except the days it rains lollipops and the teachers now ride unicorns to work so go for it!!!!111!!11" kind of lines.

Nobody can say that as we don't know the establishment setup or what is best for the school. Only someone who has sat down and gone through the pros and cons *for that establishment* can make that judgement. I have recently gone through 3 major network upgrades, at 2 we decided for CC4 and the other we decided on Vanilla. Why? Because each decision was made in the best interest of that school. Simple.

*Edit: I copyright this name for a series of future children's books.
    Well I'm definitely going Vanilla now. I want a Unicorn!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Well I'm definitely going Vanilla now. I want a Unicorn!!
    Make sure you purchase the Unicorn 2010 licence first.

Thank Post
    Why not 2011 too many bugs??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @irsprint84:

Again it is the same old "people who use RM don't have the skills" well you couldn't be further from the truth young man, I have been an MCSE for 6 years now with a Degree in Computer science also with other professional qualifications to boot but chose the RM management system way back in 2002 when I took the decision to provide the best service for the school that I could.

As I was on my own I needed something which would allow me to quickly get clients and users up and running quickly so I could then concentrate on providing other services which schools at the time didn't have VLE, single integrated network, Remote Sims etc etc and this has gone from strength to strength.

I have no qualms about going Vanilla 2008R2 but find it not necessary at the moment unless as I have stated RM go bust or when their management software goes down the wrong route for the school.

All a Vanilla system would offer us at this moment is a lot more work. We have very quick log on times for the end users, they have remote desktops which works very quickly as staff are only too happy to tell me about and we have a multitude of open source services which integrate with our RMCC4 network.

It works for us and it has cost us very little by way of upgrade licenses and for the tools which we have at our disposal are well worth the money.

As for ongoing costs with RM we don't have any as we have no contracts with them we do all the work ourselves which is what we do with a Vanilla system.

It doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to use RMs management software.

Thank Post
    I dont know where you're implying I said that?? I was stating about people saying that they wished if they wanted to go back from vanilla to RM

Thank Post
    Also before hardware RM licensing was 30k plus if I recall and if you look back at alot of my RM posts I stated that my prievous manager many times was alot better than I was and he was a RM guy, I prefer vanilla but never been draconic to RM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Wow! seems like an RM bashing in full swing hehe!

I must have been mad for even contemplating CC4!

Migrated to windows 7 platform over 9 straight days from CC3 to brand new servers which we spec'd and built using an Hitachi SMS user storage backend attached to 4 servers using iscsi then using 3 other servers we built and attached to a Sun 7110 for VM storage.

We now have 16 servers over 3 Xenserver hosts with HA and a fully functional CC4 network which is very fast and very very stable so I wonder what has happened to all your CC4 networks for them to work so badly?

We have deployed various large (3Gb+) packages without a problem using WDS and updating all the workstations using WSUS very effectively, PXE building workstations very quickly which gives us a good turn around of builds if required (not needed yet as windows 7 very stable) injection of drivers into build so easy just like in CC3.

RMtutor 5 is being used by all the teachers to which they all sing its praises (The kids hate it because the teachers now have full control over them) I will be building a new Windows 2008R2 network (Virtually of course) which will allow us to test and take exams to further our learning of the other side of the coin but as we have a fully functioning network which suits our needs we will not be changing unless RM go out of business.

It did not cost an arm or a leg as we specified and purchased the servers we wanted so only had to upgrade the RM licenses which was a pittance for the tools that went with it.

We have run with an RM network for the past 9 years and our school has benefit tremendously and allowed our teaching and learning to progress successfully from a 29% pass rate to 97% 5 a* to Cs last year and this is due to the teachers having a network they can rely upon 24/7/365.

I know schools which have moved to Vanilla systems who have regretted moving but would cost a fortune now to go back as the licenses they had would be invalid, just across the road from us is a school which has had 4 networks in the 9 years we have had one RM CC3 which has been very good value for money.

Good luck to those moving and I wish you well and I wish you every success but for now I will be staying with RM.
    RM called, they said they want their sales pitch back

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As has been said in this thread and countless times before, it will always depend on the circumstances and what is best for the school after a thorough examination of the pros and cons.
    We decided against going up to CC4 purely because in the times of limited budgets (We've seen some people here with smaller schools complaining that their budget has been cut - well our budget is 3-4x smaller still!) we'd like to eek out the very last bits of performance where possible. I'll be the first person to say that with limited knowledge, time/resources then RM are a fantastic ally. I've only worked with them for nearly 3 years but I've rarely had cause to complain.

9. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

bossman (16th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    We have run with an RM network for the past 9 years and our school has benefit tremendously and allowed our teaching and learning to progress successfully from a 29% pass rate to 97% 5 a* to Cs last year and this is due to the teachers having a network they can rely upon 24/7/365.
    Woah, Computers and networks do not make kids pass exams, learning does and that is a product of many things including teaching, environment and resources. Yes computers can be important and useful but drawing this kind of comparision is like me saying the global economy crashed because I forgot to pay my credit card bill.

Both solutions can be valid, hell if Macs can be a valid solution there is a very deep pool of possibilities but lets leave out the outlandish claims. I for one know that I never got my Unicorn despite my calls to customer service .

Thank Post
    This thread is getting off topic though. The OP asked for advice on which tools to replace the ones currently provided by RM, not to ask for reasons on why he should stick with RM or go Vanilla.

The discussion that this is turning into has been had many times before, and it's always the same conclusion that is drawn from it. I just wish people wouldn't automatically link a "we're going vanilla" thread into an "RM bashing thread".

Back to OP: We're heading vanilla this year, and so far the only tool we have bought as a replacement is Impero. Other than that, we haven't really hit any "WE MUST HAVE THAT" bits that RM used to provide yet (and for you RM lovelies, please note I said "yet" - who's to say we might roll out in the summer and realise we'd completely forgot something).

12. 2 Thanks to Hightower:

russdev (16th May 2011), tj2419 (16th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    This thread is getting off topic though. The OP asked for advice on which tools to replace the ones currently provided by RM, not to ask for reasons on why he should stick with RM or go Vanilla.

The discussion that this is turning into has been had many times before, and it's always the same conclusion that is drawn from it. I just wish people wouldn't automatically link a "we're going vanilla" thread into an "RM bashing thread".

Back to OP: We're heading vanilla this year, and so far the only tool we have bought as a replacement is Impero. Other than that, we haven't really hit any "WE MUST HAVE THAT" bits that RM used to provide yet (and for you RM lovelies, please note I said "yet" - who's to say we might roll out in the summer and realise we'd completely forgot something).
    +1 Impero is brilliant for a replacement for RM tutor, it also has loads of other features like remote event viewer and remote command prompt etc. V useful for remote debugging as the command prompt is totally transparent to the user and they will have no idea you are using their pc :P (Unless you use shutdown.exe!)

14. Thanks to Jamo from:

russdev (16th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Papercut is great for printlogging, charging and limiting also which is another facility which you may need. PaperCut - print management software used by 30,000 organizations to control and quota printing they are also a forum sponser according to their banner ad.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Papercut is great for printlogging, charging and limiting also which is another facility which you may need. PaperCut - print management software used by 30,000 organizations to control and quota printing they are also a forum sponser according to their banner ad.
    Impero does this too. I'm not trying to push Impero by the way hehe, just thought I'd mention it because we were going to initially invest in Papercut, but when we got Impero we realised we didn't need to.

17. Thanks to Hightower from:

russdev (16th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Impero does this too. I'm not trying to push Impero by the way hehe, just thought I'd mention it because we were going to initially invest in Papercut, but when we got Impero we realised we didn't need to.
    Cool wasn't sure if it did or not hence the additional suggestion.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    RM was fine when I used it but only thing I m going to say about people 'who regret it moving Vanilla' must have not got the skills.
    I may have misinterpreted this sentence as it is a little hard to read grammatically (Not implying anything) so as you can see it maybe that I have seen the "must not have the skills" I perceived this to be what you actually meant.

My reply was not meant to antagonise but to give people another viewpoint.

20. Thanks to bossman from:

irsprint84 (16th May 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast