+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Solution to stop people disconnecting network cables (Testers wanted please) in Technical; Tested here. Windows 7 x64 and works well. Only problem I had for the start was I had Virtualbox and ...

Thank Post
    Tested here. Windows 7 x64 and works well. Only problem I had for the start was I had Virtualbox and VMWare Virtual Network Adapters enabled. After disabling these in device manager all worked fine.
    Nice work

2. Thanks to ihaveaproblem from:

Steve21 (18th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Ah.

Would you mind trying this version when you got a few minutes: Attachment 9954

Should force update GPO at unlock. Not sure how fast it'll update them though, (Would help if I had some GPOs here to test lol)

It's set to do computer and user, shouldn't cause any issues, but we'll see

Thanks again

Steve
    Been working on other things today. Will give it a test tomorrow and will report back.

4. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Awesome thanks, Out of curiosity did you use the copy on front page, or one few posts up? For some reason it won't let me edit first post, so can't update it.

Steve
    It might be worth linking to an external source for the code so that you can update it there oppose to having it attached to the posts. there is a time limit you have when editing posts, so after a few days you won't be able to edit the post/thread in which you created.

James.

6. Thanks to EduTech from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveaproblem View Post
    Tested here. Windows 7 x64 and works well. Only problem I had for the start was I had Virtualbox and VMWare Virtual Network Adapters enabled. After disabling these in device manager all worked fine.
    Nice work
    Awesome thanks. Yeah Virtual adaptors (same as hamachi etc), count as always connected even if the wire isn't plugged in, as "in bad terminology" the switch is on your computer, thus never disconnected. And as such the API for checking if network available returns true :P But yeah, I'm hoping (aka. assuming :P) that majority of networks won't be using virtual adaptors on student machines. (Else might have to look into making it ignore virtual ones)

Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Been working on other things today. Will give it a test tomorrow and will report back.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    It might be worth linking to an external source for the code so that you can update it there oppose to having it attached to the posts. there is a time limit you have when editing posts, so after a few days you won't be able to edit the post/thread in which you created.

James.
    Yeah certainly will have to try to get original page editted to say such :P Never realised it locks after a certain time, was going to update it constantly. Silly me hey!

Thanks all,
    Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah certainly will have to try to get original page editted to say such :P Never realised it locks after a certain time, was going to update it constantly. Silly me hey!
    Have a chat with Shaun / ZeroHour I am sure he will be able to sort it out for you.

James

9. Thanks to EduTech from:

Steve21 (20th April 2011)

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 886 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I tried it yesterday on a Windows7 desktop logged on as a local user. It worked a treat. [EduLockv4]

Any idea of time-scales/when the completed version will be released?

11. Thanks to DaveP from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I tried it yesterday on a Windows7 desktop logged on as a local user. It worked a treat. [EduLockv4]

Any idea of time-scales/when the completed version will be released?
    Honestly, depends on two things.

1) One I wanted a way to be able to set options network wide (aka making a registry link to it, so you "could" change options with GPOs etc if needed)
    2) If people turn on auto-unlock, as mentioned above you can effectively let computer boot unconnected, then reconnect without GPOs applied, and they wanted a way for it to force update

I need to sort out #1 for sure, and #2 depends on if people are going to use autounlock or not really :P

But shouldn't be far into future, assuming I get some time after work to finish it At least if I sort #1, I can finish #2 later, when I got more time to test.

And thanks all who've been testing it, nice to get peoples feedback over something I may miss stupidly etc

I'll get cracking on it in the evenings and try to get a complete version sorted.

* Edit - Don't suppose anyone tested to see if my "GPO" quick-fix in v4 worked? (should refresh GPOs on unlock)

Steve

Thank Post
    stev21 , thanks this is awesome, works and cant wait to get my hands on it without the button that allows you to exit

14. Thanks to andydis from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andydis View Post
    stev21 , thanks this is awesome, works and cant wait to get my hands on it without the button that allows you to exit
    Ha yes indeed. Only reason I added that, was when I was testing things, I kept finding I made a bug and locked myself out of computer. And couldn't kill program as I disabled everything including taskmanager etc in original copy :P Thus the "HELP" button :P

Will be removed once I sort the two issues mentioned!

Steve

Thank Post
    (If any mods around to lock this thread would be appreciated)

Please forward any new requests/bugs etc to:

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/networ...tml#post665415

Thanks Steve

Thank Post
    Seems like a pretty nifty idea but the only issue i can see is:
    if the server goes down, will all of the computers running the software be completely useless (as opposed to being almost completely useless as the user cant save to their documents or access the internet ect.)
    i also saw a post where a bloke was having problems with students disconnecting network cables on startup which stopped user policies from running and thus giving them more freedom to play games and stuff, so even if this software locks the screen, wouldnt the computer still keep running underneath the locked screen, and theyd be able to log in without seeing the logon screen and reconnect it once the computer is fully started and logged in?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by geraintpowell View Post
    Seems like a pretty nifty idea but the only issue i can see is:
    if the server goes down, will all of the computers running the software be completely useless (as opposed to being almost completely useless as the user cant save to their documents or access the internet ect.)
    i also saw a post where a bloke was having problems with students disconnecting network cables on startup which stopped user policies from running and thus giving them more freedom to play games and stuff, so even if this software locks the screen, wouldnt the computer still keep running underneath the locked screen, and theyd be able to log in without seeing the logon screen and reconnect it once the computer is fully started and logged in?
    Please forward any new requests/bugs etc to:

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/edulock/

Thanks Steve

(ps. answered you in new thread)
    Last edited by plexer; 6th May 2011 at 03:40 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234