+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Ranger Remote Control Blue Screen in Technical; We have installed Ranger Remote Control on teacher laptops so they can manage their own lessons! We have found that ...

Thank Post

Ranger Remote Control Blue Screen

We have installed Ranger Remote Control on teacher laptops so they can manage their own lessons! We have found that this now seems to cause the Blue Screen of Death when pressing "Fn+F5" for the projectors. They briefly see the Blue Screen of Death, then the laptop will restart. We are using Toshiba L100's which use ATi Grapics chips. Has anyone else had this problem?

Currently using latest RRC release 8.51.1

Thank Post

Re: Ranger Remote Control Blue Screen

Craig,

Does this happen while they are being viewed, while they are doing a show or just while it is loaded/idle?

Do you know the exact ATI chipset? Also worth checking for latest drivers if you haven't already.

Rob
    NetSupport Ltd

Thank Post

No it doesnt happen when they are being viewed, and the laptop is idle. Ive just found out another teacher who has a Toshiba L20 with an Intel Chipset which is also doing it.

The ATi chipset is a Radeon XPress 200M. I have tried new drivers, but no joy. Not sure what Intel one is, I dont have the laptop at the minute.

Thank Post

Ok, so it happens when they are peforming a show to the class?

One thing we'll need to help diagnose the problem is the dump file. a BSOD will write a memory dump to a file to usually in the Windows System folder.

For quicker diagnosis we recommend a kernel mode dump. You can check to see what is being generated by looking at Startup and Recovery options in the Advanced->System Properties for "My Computer".

We also have a utility called SupportTool.exe that gathers useful information about the machine to help diagnosis too.

In case you hadn't realised or noticed from other postings Ranger Remote is an OEM of NetSupport School which is why I'm asking all this

If you contact our support department (support@netsupportsoftware.com) or 01778 382270 (ask for tech support) they can then get all this information. Its better to go through tech support as they will log it and keep you updated on the call progress when it gets handed to development (my area).

If you let me know your name, school and licence details I'll tell them to expect an email/call from you.

Thank Post

Is what we have found is that when the teacher wants to use the projector, they press "Fn+F5" when the computer has just booted. They will then see the BSOD for a couple of seconds, then the laptop will restart. If the projector is left plugged in when the laptop restarts, it will project the laptop image fine, but teachers dont like the inconvenience of having to wait for it to reboot!

Thanks for your help. As soon as I have this information and one of the faulty laptops back from one of the teachers (I can only get the laptops off them for short periods of time before they want them back!) I will send the info onto you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread