+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, iTalc 2 Installation in Technical; Originally Posted by DaveP Personal configuration: [Home Share]\iTalc Personal Configuration\PersonalConfig.xml The way to sort your problem out is to get ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Personal configuration: [Home Share]\iTalc Personal Configuration\PersonalConfig.xml
    The way to sort your problem out is to get an admin or teacher whoever really to configure their end perfectly adding all computers etc. and then exporting their PersonalConfig.xml to the share also and the set the above setting to point to the share just like the GlobalConfig.xml is.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    We are successfully deploying the software to the stations but we cannot see the remote stations unless an administrator our a network technician logos on first [at the remote station] and starts iTalc for the first time.

Deployment method:

Batch file:

Code:
    mkdir "C:\Program Files\iTALC"copy "\\ServerName.ChildDomain.parentDomain.local\ServerShare1\iTALC 2\*.*" "C:\Program Files\iTALC\"
    cd "\Program Files\iTALC"
    ica -RegisterService -quiet
    imc -ApplySettings clientSettings.xml -quiet
    regedit /s italc2.reg
    ica -StartService -quiet
    end
    We have used the iTalc Management Console to set:

iTalc service:

Tray icon hidden
    Autostart

Configuration files:

Global configuration:

Global configuration: \\ServerName.ChildDomain.parentDomain.local\Server Share2\Global Configuration\GlobalConfig.xml
    Personal configuration: [Home Share]\iTalc Personal Configuration\PersonalConfig.xml

Data Directories:

Snapshots: [Home Share]\Snapshots

Authentication:

Authentication methods: ACL based logon authentication [key file authentication would not work for us at all (although that is what we had for XP and it worked]

Permissions:

Domain administrator: Full control
    Network technicians: Full control
    Domain computers: Full control

[I also put 'everyone' in with Full control but this did not improve things]

I have tried the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of iTalc on our 64 bit stations without success.

Has anyone solved this problem where a user who is allowed to use the iTalc remote viewing interface has to logon?

Many thanks.

Edit: iTalc 2.
    Did you ever sort this out, Dave? I'm having a similar issue. Works fine on my machine, but not teachers. But even if I logon as local admin on a teachers, it doesn't work. We're using AD logon option instead of keyfiles. When a teacher launches iTALC 2, it asks for a logon, accepts the teacher's account, and nothing happens - closes.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nLinked View Post
    Did you ever sort this out, Dave? I'm having a similar issue. Works fine on my machine, but not teachers. But even if I logon as local admin on a teachers, it doesn't work. We're using AD logon option instead of keyfiles. When a teacher launches iTALC 2, it asks for a logon, accepts the teacher's account, and nothing happens - closes.
    The problem of users other than administrators to use iTalc seems to have resolved itself [no cation from me] However we are still left with an iTalc deployment that does not work satisfactorily as it 'chooses' when it will work and when it will not.

We cannot ever see all of the screens all of the stations in a computer suite [some are visible] Sometimes the console will not work at all. Some times it will work all day without crashing but still not showing all of the selected screens. I would look at another solution [ABTutor, Impero,...] but there is no budget so now I guess I am waiting for the release of iTalc 2.1...

Thank Post
    Thank you. So disappointed. Even if I make a VM on my PC with same settings as a teacher PC, and use a teacher account, it works GREAT. Just not on actual teacher machines.

Thank Post
    I could never get sharing of screens working properly . It would display but the user had to click to get this updated

also multiple login stopped working also , which i loved !

went to abutor instead , for a few hundred quid was well worth it !

Thank Post
    I just don't get it. I installed the same exact bundle on my own virtual machine, and the VM is placed in the same AD location as teacher machines. I logged on as a teacher, and logged into iTALC as a teacher (using AD option in iTALC, not keys), and it works great!

On an actual teacher machine, I get this event log error:

The application, C:\Program Files\iTALC\italc.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 03/28/2012 @ 14:11:14.954 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 7C91A5DB (ntdll!RtlReAllocateHeap)

What does that even mean? I've checked the installation files and the count and size are exactly the same as on my working machine. I just don't get it. Same account, different machine, same AD location, same permissions. I can't figure it out!

Thank Post

Worked fine.

Late last year I had no major issues using Italc2 with windows 7.
    I'm intending to try it a new school in the next few weeks.
    The script above will be invaluable as I wasn't aware of the /quiet switch and that bit had caused one of the few issues.
    I know the fact that the security permissions have to be set on each machine for admin access will be a pain and I'll reread the thread and see if someone's got the technique right to avoid that.
    I found a thread elesewhere that talked about how to setup a global repository of the machines, I know that method worked as well.
    I'll get back after I've had a go as I think the program is quite useful.
    Its not ABtutor, but the fact I can install it and have multiple vieweers makes it attractive for what i want.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    In my view it is not an easy program to setup. I installed it on few PCs other day and wasn't very impressed with limited feature set (but I would say that )

Just no thought into ease of setting up at all both from install and setting up in general...

Russ
    Hi Russdev, I'm assuming your the guy from imperio. If you are can you please advise on whether you just sell your classroom management module seperately. I work for a local authority, where a number of our schools are moving away from the expensive RM and other offerings, out there to Vanilla Windows. One school in paticular would like to purchase the classroom management module. Do you sell your classroom management software seperately?

If you so, can you please leave me your email address and I will contact you directly. Thanks.

Thank Post
    I know this is a somewhat old thread, but I thought I would share my script to install iTALC. This has worked flawlessly for me and is far less complicated than the above script. I do not use keys (I use acl-based auth), but if you store your keys on a network share to the clients, there should not need to be any changes made to this script. If you store you keys locally, you would also need to add a line in the script whereby you copy those keys over to the appropriate location. I hope someone finds this useful.

Code:
    ::Change the part after the equals sign to the ip address or domain name of the server
    set server=serverip
    set share=networksharefolder
    ::Install iTALC silently
    \\%server%\%share%\italc.exe /S
    ::Check if installed on a 64-bit machine
    ::I always install the 32-bit version for simplicity
    IF EXIST "C:\Program Files (x86)" goto x64
    ::Copy settings file
    xcopy \\%server%\%share%\settings.xml "c:\Program Files\iTALC\" /Y
    cd "c:\Program Files\iTALC\"
    goto settings
    :x64
    xcopy \\%server%\%share%\settings.xml "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTALC\" /Y
    cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTALC\"
    :settings
    ::Apply settings
    imc -ApplySettings settings.xml -quiet
    ::Restart the service
    net stop icas
    net start icas
    ::Delete Desktop Shortcut for XP and Vista/Win7
    del "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\iTALC.lnk"
    del "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\iTALC.lnk"
    Last edited by robp2175; 2nd October 2013 at 05:12 PM.

Thank Post
    I realized as soon as I posted that I actually posted the wrong script. You actually do not need to the x64 part because the silent install will always put it in the same folder. I forgot about this. Sorry if this caused any confusion.

Code:
    ::Change the part after the equals sign to the ip address or domain name of the server
    set server=serverip
    set share=networksharefolder
    ::Install iTALC silently
    \\%server%\%share%\italc.exe /S
    xcopy \\%server%\%share%\settings.xml "c:\Program Files\iTALC\" /Y
    cd "c:\Program Files\iTALC\"
    ::Apply settings
    imc -ApplySettings settings.xml -quiet
    ::Restart the service
    net stop icas
    net start icas