+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Running software on multiple computers simultaneously in Technical; I'm not sure if anyone can point me in the direction of suitable software for this teacher query. Basically I've ...

Thank Post

Running software on multiple computers simultaneously

I'm not sure if anyone can point me in the direction of suitable software for this teacher query. Basically I've been approached by a teacher who has asked me if there is any way their actions on one computer can be mimicked on the others in our IT suite. When probed further her explanation was that in one particular lesson the pupils had to access a particular website, but some where so slow typing the address or made mistakes, that it too a large part of the lesson just trying to get them to the right site. She wanted to be able to type the URL into a master computer and have the same website open up on every computer in the suite.

Not sure if I've explained it too well but if anyone has ideas of software or scripts that can do what she's asking I'd really appreciate it because so far my searches have come up with nothing.

Thank Post
    Programs like RM tutor or netops can do this sort of thing. Do you have any remote classroom tools?

Thank Post
    LanSchool has a guided Internet feature that should do as you describe.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There are programs that have this functionality as a small feature within them - such as NetSupport or Impero; but are very costly for that one tiny feature.

However, I'd like to offer two workarounds which may or may not be acceptable to that teacher.

1) Use a URL shortener such as bit.ly or goo.gl. Shorter URLs = less mistakes, easier to type.
    2) Put URLs in a Word document on a shared area and then direct students to this so they can click on them.

5. Thanks to webman from:

gavins38 (5th April 2011)

Thank Post
    There's really easy way to do it (free) with scripts, "if" they have access to run remote scripts? But I'm assuming they don't or do they? :P

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    2) Put URLs in a Word document on a shared area and then direct students to this so they can click on them.
    That's what I'd do. Save it as a web page. You could even set up a short cut to it or add it to your favourites.

Thank Post
    bookmark?

Thank Post
    We have a program called SychronEyes, I think it is from the makers of the Smart Boards. Altiris will also do it if you have that. I think you can do it from the "run" command as well.

Thank Post
    We use AB tutor which will do this.

We also have a network area where staff can save files which can then be read by the students.

Thank Post
    italc ?

Thank Post
    The school isn't currently using any classroom management software so I could look down that route, and to get value for money emphasize the other features of the software. I had a quick look at italc but couldn't see any similar feature on there.

@Steve21 The teachers won't have access to run any remote scripts, at most they have local admin rights.

URL shortening is an interesting idea and that's finally shed some light on what bit.ly is all about! I think putting all the links on a Word document sounds like the easiest way to go and I don't think the teacher should have trouble with that!

Thanks very much for all your suggestions!

Thank Post
    create a batch file using psexec to call Internet Explorer and load the page of choice. Easy.

Download PSTools from PsTools. Place the files in the System32 folder.

Create a text file with the list of computers in called computers.txt

computer1
    computer2
    computer3
    then use

psexec @computers.txt -d -i -s "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" http://www. bbc.co.uk
    If you want to be really clever you could get it to ask for an input then use the result as the webpage.

Simples!

Thank Post
    I just create a shortcut for the website required and place it in a common shared area. Seems to work just fine and once teachers realise they can do this and have their Internet shortcuts anywhere (at home or work) they find it great.

15. Thanks to TechSupp from:

mac_shinobi (7th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    A sleeker solution would be that if you have an intranet site or maybe a vle, give them a page on that where they can keep links for their lessons, rather than a word document. Perhaps they can create a webpage, or would like to learn. Even making a word document and save as webpage feature as ugly as it is, in an option, then you can upload it for them. At least its a step in the right direction, at least for that particular issue.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    There are programs that have this functionality as a small feature within them - such as NetSupport or Impero; but are very costly for that one tiny feature.

However, I'd like to offer two workarounds which may or may not be acceptable to that teacher.

1) Use a URL shortener such as bit.ly or goo.gl. Shorter URLs = less mistakes, easier to type.
    Group policy to push out the relevant link or links to either the users desktops or if possible put them into internet favourites, when I say links I mean normally to create one you would right click on desktop --> new --> shortcut --> enter url, next --> type a name for it --> finish

that way teacher goes into classroom and advises everyone to logon , once logged on --> can all students please open the shortcut on the desktop that is called "xyz"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread