+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, How to prevent inappropriate Internet searches in Technical; If you use mandatory profiles, you can at least make sure Google Safe Search is always switched on every time ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,617 Posts
    If you use mandatory profiles, you can at least make sure Google Safe Search is always switched on every time the little darlings go into internet explorer the first time.

There is no substitute for a high quality filter such as Smoothwall. At my independent primary our ISP is RM and we have RM SafetyNet Plus (not my choice). That, combined with the mandatory profile approach, means that I get very few incicents (one in the last twelve months)

2. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

tom_newton (22nd March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks for all your comments and advice again. I do use mandatory profiles - but have found that sometimes when I have configured Google safe search and then re-exported the profile, the next time I login using the new profile Google search is still set to moderate. The Google description of "moderate" is that it will apply a strict filter to images anyway, and from what I have seen when testing with certain search strings - that appears to hold true.

Thank Post
    Have you tried setting the default home page to Kid SafeSearch UK. Google for UK kids safe search. Its not a bad system in addition to your normal filtering

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Smoothwall express does not have the search term filtering on it - or AFAIK in any of the add-ons? We certainly do it in the full version of our filter though.
    I use Advanced Proxy add-on for IPCop and SmoothWall and URL filter add-on for IPCop and SmoothWall with smoothwall express which together allow custom expressions which when typed in or detected anywhere it blocks them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rednight View Post
    Thanks for all your comments and advice again. I do use mandatory profiles - but have found that sometimes when I have configured Google safe search and then re-exported the profile, the next time I login using the new profile Google search is still set to moderate. The Google description of "moderate" is that it will apply a strict filter to images anyway, and from what I have seen when testing with certain search strings - that appears to hold true.
    When you set up your Google Safe Search to strict... make it the last thing you do before you save the profile as mandatory. It is saved in a cookie, so deleting that cookie will put it back to moderate!

Thank Post
    I vote again for Squid / Dansguardian does keyword blocking and is brilliant.

Thank Post
    Yeah squid sounds like best option, you just need to know a bit of linux, which is not always easy - both smoothwall and RM SmartCache (Part of safetyNet plus) use it. There are lots of other pieces of software, but the price usually is quite high - Bloxx come to mind and Securas.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12