+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Italc in Technical; right i'm having a slight issue here whilst trying to set this up on a test machine and one of ...
    Thank Post

Italc

right i'm having a slight issue here whilst trying to set this up on a test machine and one of our servers. seems to set up ok on the server with the management thingy installed etc... italc client service running but it cannot not detect the italc client on another machine that i set up with this as a test. and i really can't figure it out. so if any body has experience of this i would be very grateful if you could lend a hand as its now getting on my nerves!

windows 2003 server and windows xp sp2 client

Cheers
    Kris

Thank Post

Re: Italc

Double check that the italc client has installed properly and the service is running on the client PC you wish to connect to - I've just been giving it a whirl this morning and discovered that it seems to be based around some kind of modified version of WinVNC...

The machine I was testing on already had a TightVNC installed and running, and although the italc setup went through the motions of installing the service, it actually failed to do so - so when I fired up the management app, nothing would connect. Thought this was a communication problem until I checked the services on the client PC.

Thank Post

Thats the problem the client service appears to be running ica.exe!

i really can't get my head around it! i know it'll be something completely obvious but i can't see anything!

Cheers
    Kris

Thank Post

How do you uninstall it?

I've stuck both the Client and Server parts on my PC just cos I'm silly, and now I want to do it properly on a test room and server.

Thank Post

I remember what the problem was that I had initially!

On the control machine, you need to generate a key pair and copy the key to the client.

Check out http://italc.sourceforge.net/wiki/in...ation_on_Linux - I believe you will need to type the following command to get your keys:
    Code:
    ica -role teacher -createkeypair
    You might also find http://italc.sourceforge.net/wiki/in...d_config-files helpful

Thank Post

I've been trying to get this running this afternoon. Ideally I'd like to use it alongside LanView but as a tool for teachers iTalc seems better suited to classroom use.

The server app is installed on the computer I'm at now and the client is installed on a test machine in the classroom but I can't connect. No fw etc but I don't have ica running on the client as a service - is this because RealVNC is?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Correct. italc uses it's own VNC server. There's doesn't appear to be any way to alter what port it listens on. Therefore it's probably easier to alter the port your standard VNC software runs on.

Thank Post

good plan - I'll have a look into it tomorrow-

What is the general feeling about italc?

Thank Post

@gwendes: Try checking the keys too... this waas my initial problem. I found that I had to recreate the keys and then I manually copied them to the client. It then worked like a dream... and that was with a Linux master and windows client!

Thank Post

Hi,

Apparently you can alter ports for Italc if needed. May help if vnc already installed.

http://italc.sourceforge.net/wiki/in...ent_runs_on.3F

http://italc.sourceforge.net/wiki/in...roubleshooting

Thank Post

I've unistalled VNC on a couple of computers and installed the client. italc doesn't seem to install from a network location but finally installed and ok- still host unreachable Does anyone know how to uninstall the master application so I can try this again. Installing over the top of the old install just throws errors at me.

LanView was much simpler than this!

Thank Post

I don't think that iTALC gets on with other instances of VNC... however why would you want more than one VNC server on the same machine?

To uninstall, I think you may just be able to delete the iTALC folder from Program Files.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

you must remove the service too.

Thank Post

VNC is unistalled on the clients . I've removed iTALC from Program Files but after I reinstalled the program won't run - 'No valid keys found' and 'iTALC service not running' errors pop up. The iTALC service is running on both but I've setup the keys so many times

Thank Post

I'm currently in the process of installing ITalc in all my labs that have windows XP clients, a 2003 server and also a samba share which I'll explain later. I'm pretty satisfied with it with the exception that any Classroom with over 20 machines becomes unuseable (all machines become unreachable even though you can remote with them). My only solution so far is dividing the labs into two groups.

Here are the things that I needed to setup for the clients and masters so I could easily deploy it.

1. Install a master so I can get the three keys I need. A share on the 2003 server for the Public key which I create on a master. During the future installs I point towards this share by copy and pasting the link. On some machines, typing out the address manually causes freezing so copy and pasting it is a sure thing to avoid this problem.

2. Create an invisible share on my samba for the public and private teacher keys which are created by that first master install. Why a samba share instead of Windows? The service itself seeks for this file and I haven't figured out a way to assign a local computer service read permissions on a windows server. Samba is helping me at the moment with this issue and the clients can find the keys no problem.

It's easier to make these 3 keys available on network shares unless you don't have a box with samba. The other option is you'd have to copy it on every client and master so they can communicate with each other.

3. Create registry file with proper configurations. I have one for the master and one for the clients. The first registry setting is the path to my samba share with the teacher keys which clients and masters use. The other setting is for the windows firewall. Did you forget about the windows firewall? I certainly did when I first tried testing it! I simply add both ica.exe and userinfo.exe to authorizedapplications and luckily registry importing makes this an easy task. I don't know if userinfo.exe needed to be added but I didn't take any chances.

Here's how my italc.reg file looks like.
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\iTALC Solutions\iTALC\keypathsprivate]
    "teacher"="\\\\SambaServer\\share\\iTALC\\keys\\pr ivate\\teacher\\key"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\iTALC Solutions\iTALC\keypathspublic]
    "teacher"="\\\\SambaServer\\share\\iTALC\\keys\\pu blic\\teacher\\key"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\S haredAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfil e\AuthorizedApplications\List]
    "C:\\Program Files\\iTALC\\ica.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\iTALC\\ica.exe:*:Enabled:ica"
    "C:\\Program Files\\iTALC\\userinfo.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\iTALC\\userinfo.exe:*:Enabled:userinfo"
    4. Fourth and final setting is to put globalsettings on a server share and making sure the masters are pointing towards it. The reasoning behind this is to add computers and classrooms only once since I have multiple teachers who are using this. Make sure they only have read permissions so they don't mess it up and delete classes and computers. I have full rights to the file so I simply add the computers and classes myself.

Here's my IMA.reg file that I apply to masters only.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\iTALC Solutions\iTALC\paths]
    "globalconfig"="\\\\WindowsServer\\Share\\italc\\g lobalconfig.xml"
    I hope this helps some for anyone who plans to install this in the future. Once you get these things setup everything will work great. My only issue with the program so far is as I said before, if you plan on having groups of over 20 computers the screens will become unreachable, even if you can still remote with them. I'd like to figure out how to fix this but I haven't had time yet. I have theories and I'll try to figure out a solution this week.

Also, this is the command to unregister the service if you need to uninstall or install it to another directory like I had to do.
    c:\program files\italc\ica -unregisterservice

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast