+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Italc in Technical; double post sorry...

Thank Post

Re: Italc

double post sorry

Thank Post

Hi !
    I have installed iTALC on 7 computers, 1 mater and 6 clients and it works quite well.
    But... there is always a "but"! The demo mod is not working.
    I explain. I lunch demo mod on a client computer by a right clik on computer and clik on "window demo". Ok no prob here just on the clent's screen there is the window but... nothing in !! it's dark and a message is writing : "Connecting to [master's address]" but nothing more.
    I stoped all firewall and reinstall but always the same problem

Did you ever seen that ? and can you help me ?

ty

thor

Thank Post

Re: Italc (Uninstall / Re-Installation)

Hello Everyone,

Below is what I have found to work to uninstall the application when I wanted to install a fresh new installation of a master and client application.

Problem:
    I originally installed two masters with the option to install new keys and I wanted to try to control the one with the other, and found that this did not work. So I uninstalled by deleting the program files folder and trying to reinstall but ran into an issue stating to re-create key-pair.

Solution:
    1) Run the command prompt and run the following command
    ica -unregisterservice to remove the service.

2) Open Task Manager and make sure that no userinfo.exe process is running, if so end the process.

3) Remove the iTALC folder under the Program Files Folder.

4) Remove the iTALC folder under the Application Data for the user. This folder is a hidden folder. To make hidden folders visible view note at the bottom. Note: This folder contains configuration information for the application.

5) Remove iTALC Solutions Registry Entry. Located under HKEY_LOCAL_Machine Hive. Then go to the Software Folder. You should then see the iTALC Solutions folder.

6) If you are re-installing you should be able to do so at this point.

-- To show hidden folders, you can go to the Tools Menu Item and Folder Options Menu Item. Then go to the View Tab and under the Advanced Settings Area - go to Hidden Files and Folders and Click "Show Hidden Files and Folders", then click Apply.

Hopefully this helps everyone that are having issues reinstalling the application.

Take care and good luck.

sbprogrammer

Thank Post

I have been trying Italc for a few days now in a virtual domain. Seems to be a great tool for teachers to use and doesn't offer the level of control that Lanview does so prevents teacher's messing things up.

I have noticed though that I have to wait a good few minutes once the server and clients are online before the connectivity between them works. Maybes this could be down to some latency in VMWare or something. I am going to test it more before making it live on our networks.

I am a little concerned that I get an error after logon on the client machine about the italc service crashing or something but it still works fine. This could be down to my virtual machine, will have to create a new one.

This is the reason I found this forum actually as I was searching for people who use italc. It looks very similar to the remote control software offered by viglen and ranger.

A lot cheaper though! ha!

Thank Post

I've just had a play around with it, but think we'll be sticking with getting more licences for AB Tutor Control.
    iTalc was a bit fiddly to install and there seems to be no way of changing the client's ports (we are already running vnc clients on 5800/5900).
    Also one of the main features of AB Tutor control is the policy system for blocking apps/websites, which is missing from iTalc.
    Still, apart from those gripes it's not a bad piece of software - well worth the money

Thank Post

I have found a new trick to get this working very efficiently and resolved one of my problems I encountered when testing out 1.0.3. If you are using the Master on a Windows XP SP 2 machine you need to modify your TCP connectivity limit. SP2 has introduced a feature that limit concurrent TCP connection attempts that are possible to 10 per seconds which doesn't work very well with iTalc. After changing the limit, the Master clients becomes way more responsive and my teachers have confirmed a huge improvement in performance.

I used this tool and updated my tcp connection limit to 100. It reports as a Virus with McAffee since it modifies windows TCP.sys file but I can assure you it isn't. Use at your own risk in any case.
    http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=downloads

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SurfingBob
    I used this tool and updated my tcp connection limit to 100. It reports as a Virus with McAffee since it modifies windows TCP.sys file but I can assure you it isn't. Use at your own risk in any case.
    Between that and your previous post with registry keys (applied via GPO using PolicyMaker here), I can only say the utmost THANK YOU. I discovered iTALC today and had it up and running in one of our computer labs perfectly.

Wonderful little program.

Thank Post

I've managed to install it in 2 suites today. Fiddly yes but the cost is rather nice as we don't have anything that does this job at the mo.

Everything works great except the live demo which I can't get to work but I'll have a mess with it later.

Well done Mr Italc

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

SP2 has introduced a feature that limit concurrent TCP connection attempts that are possible to 10 per seconds which doesn't work very well with iTalc. After changing the limit, the Master clients becomes way more responsive and my teachers have confirmed a huge improvement in performance.

Modifying Windows Binaries is a breach of the EULA remember.

Thank Post

Something somewhere just doesn't seem to be happy on my system... Think it's bad video drivers - crappy cheap motherboards with onboard VGA, but upgraded to AGP cards. Can't disable the onboard video in the BIOS, have to disable it in Windows while still present for the AGP cards to work happily. When I fire up iTalc master about 60% of the PCs in the room reboot Makes for an interesting game of student roulette.

Thank Post

[quote="Geoff"]

Modifying Windows Binaries is a breach of the EULA remember.
    Other options that don't breach the EULA would be to downgrade the TCP.sys file to SP1 (not tested but I don't see why it wouldn't work) or bring the entire OS to SP1.

My personnal opinion on the matter is that Microsoft put such a limitation in one of their servicepacks to slow down virus outbreaks for home users and they should have made an option to modify it. It's true that not all machines ever require more than 10 TCP connections but sometimes, like with iTALC in this case, having more than 10 connections is a must.

Thank Post

I have recently completed an install of iTALC on XP pro machines. 1 client and 1 master...just to test it out.

I set up an admin AND a teacher.

When I try to access the client with the teacher there are no issues.

When I try to access the client with the admin I can not connect.

I have double and triple checked my authentication keys. I have recreated authentication keys and still can not make this issue go away.

The error the client sees in a balloon is :

Somebody (my ip address) tried to access this computer but could not authenticate itself successfully!

Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thank Post

Here's a nice article on your problem that the creator has written up on the Wiki. The admin keys are not able to be used to access the client. My set up only uses teacher so I have no experience with setting up multiple group levels. http://italc.sourceforge.net/wiki/in...title=User_FAQ

Thank Post

Having another go at setting up this software and have got much further than the last time - I think on account of the fact that the software has improved. Now stuck at the stage , with a test setup of just one teacher computer and one student computer, that the teacher software runs and I can add both computers to the 'classroom'. Only the teacher computer is connectable, the student machine says host unavailable and keeps flashing up a baloon that says:
    'Somebody [teacher IP address] tried to access this computer but could not authenticate itself successfully' Can anyone help?

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast