+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Removing Classlink 8 in Technical; There is another thread about this but it refers to Classlink 2000 and is from 2009. I would like to ...

Thank Post

Removing Classlink 8

There is another thread about this but it refers to Classlink 2000 and is from 2009.

I would like to remove Classlink 8 from my school over the summer. The software itself is a lot less restrictive than I thought it would be - as far as I can see it doesnt seem to change AD at all, it just gives a web based management system, a server application to accomplish various things, and client software on all machines.

So if I was to get new servers, make them DC's, transfer all the roles over etc, then wipe the old ones (and reimage all clients of course) am I likely to run into any problems? Has anyone got experience of removing it and can share any tips, or is it as "simple" as I think it will be?

I did initially think about starting from scratch with a new domain but with Exchange etc it just seems like it could be a lot of extra work for potentially no gain.

Thank Post
    format c:

thats not a joke btw,

out of interest whats the viglen "method" for "distributing" software nowadays=?

Thank Post
    lol oh dear

Their method appears to be go round each computer, log on and install software manually. Nice way to while away a paid engineer day. Or occasionally update a ghost image.

Thank Post
    let me guess, 500 different ghost boot cd's that no-one knows which is the right one for which machine?

Thank Post
    On a serious note, I just wiped everything here and setup new domain etc, as it was far quicker in the long run.

Thank Post
    But if Classlink is no longer installed, and all roles are transferred to new servers, would I not be left with effectively a vanilla setup? I was just wondering whether it installed any non standard schema updates or anything like that.
    I can see the advantage in starting again though...its better than planning to migrate and then finding out halfway you need to start from scratch.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    But if Classlink is no longer installed, and all roles are transferred to new servers, would I not be left with effectively a vanilla setup? I was just wondering whether it installed any non standard schema updates or anything like that.
    I can see the advantage in starting again though...its better than planning to migrate and then finding out halfway you need to start from scratch.
    ours had been made worse post-viglen so in our case a rebuild was the only option, I didn't examine the viglen system too deeply. But i suspect you can't just transfer roles and that was the mistake my predecessor made, I seem to remember that it did something very strange with group policies.

personally i would rebuild.

Thank Post
    Ok thanks.
    The whole process doesnt bother me too much, it's a lot of work doing a rebuild but I'm confident about it...except Exchange. Just don't know how easy it is to restore mailboxes to users from backup to a new (internal) domain. But I suppose I've got 3 months to find that out..

Thank Post
    Ok thanks.
    The whole process doesnt bother me too much, it's a lot of work doing a rebuild but I'm confident about it...except Exchange. Just don't know how easy it is to restore mailboxes to users from backup to a new domain. But I suppose I've got 3 months to find that out..
    i exported the mailboxes as PSTs and then reimported.

I also extracted/reimported all the user accounts with a program i wrote in c#, I don't have it anymore or I would send it to you, but there are plently of programs about on the net anyways.

Thank Post
    Have to say, the more I think about this, the more attractive a rebuild sounds. The strange thing with Classlink is that outside of Edugeek, there is almost nothing about it on the web, so no way to actually know if it does make deep rooted changes or not. At least with CC3/4 there is plenty of information available!

Thanks for your help

Thank Post
    Have to say, the more I think about this, the more attractive a rebuild sounds. The strange thing with Classlink is that outside of Edugeek, there is almost nothing about it on the web, so no way to actually know if it does make deep rooted changes or not. At least with CC3/4 there is plenty of information available!
    I'd second that, I too found little info outside of edugeek.

The only idea I have is that classlink manipulated AD objects through ASP pages and scripts on the server. I did find that it used existing AD schema for other purposes, e.g. print credits were stored in a second pager user attribute, no tracking built-in.

I spent summer term last year with classlink and then rebuilt entire network to a vanilla setup over the summer. Now running Win2K8R2 DC. All settings are Group Policy Preferences and all clients are Windows XP SP3.

Thank Post
    Ah, never would have noticed the print credits in there, but you're quite right, there they are!

How many servers/clients have you got out of interest? How long did it take all in all?

Thank Post
    No, i could find where the print credits were stored, I followed the trail through the ASP pages and scripts. I was looking for a way to track print credits better, but in the end went vanilla and got PaperCut NG .

Yeah, no prob. We've got around 250 clients (laptops and desktops ~20:80) some Macs but that is a separate issue, Servers (All virtualised), 2 x HP DL380s. on the curriculum side, admin is separate.

I had a new server to work with so setup the OS with AD and users during summer term, leaving the old one in place until start of summer hols. Migrated data only, created new users and rebuilt permissions. The client rebuilding took about 2 weeks (would have been quicker if not for incompatibilities with drivers as I tried to develop a single workstation image in summer term, not my best idea!). Deployed clients with FOG (syspreped and auto join domain at OU) which is so easy to work with. Time saver! I've met with a few issues like software not working, but all easily rectified..

Thank Post
    Thanks, that is helpful.
    Luckily we've only got about 80 clients and 4 servers so in comparison, it should be a short job!

I was thinking of doing the same as you did with the server too, have the new one pretty much ready to go minus the data, then quickly swap

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread