+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Need to move from RM CC3 - what should I move to? in Technical; Hi guys, We are currently running RM CC3 and wanted to move to eithe cc4 or vanilla, I am even ...

Thank Post

Need to move from RM CC3 - what should I move to?

Hi guys, We are currently running RM CC3 and wanted to move to eithe cc4 or vanilla, I am even considering out sourcing it to another company to manage our server. We had allot of issues with CC3 and I also heard CC4 has its share of problems. So any recommendation would greatly be appreciated. We are running around 130 clients including laptops.

Thank Post
    I went from CC3 to vanilla and would recommend you do the same. It takes out the extra layer of issues and is much easier to find info on the net.

Thank Post
    1 plus for vanilla

Thank Post
    Considering exactly the same myself. Whilst CC3 was an easy choice, I'm less convinced about the need for CC4 given the array of third-party management interfaces which are out there now.

Thank Post
    CC3 definetly had its place at the time but Vanilla has enough tools to deal with things

Thank Post
    Vanilla is the way to go if you are considering outsourcing, it will give you a wider range of suppliers to choose from.

Thank Post
    We have just gone the CC3 to Vanilla route and you need to think carefully about how you are replacing a lot of the things which are standard in CC3 but not included in a standard vanilla install - imaging/build solution, Auditor, SmartCache, print credit management, RM Tutor etc.

This wasn't thought about at our place and we are now suffering the consequences.

Thank Post
    @crc-ict - Could you list the components you mean. I'm currently drawing up a list of all the RM tools / third-party bolt-ons which we'd lose if we ditched CCx, and just want to check I haven't missed any.

9. Thanks to enjay from:

Raja (4th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Many years ago (pre CC3) we ditched RM and replaced it with Ranger which gave us time to adjust to a vanilla setup and still have some of the options offered by RM. The difference was that we were in complete control and could turn off parts until we reached the point where we were a completely vanilla network. We did this over a period of 2-3 years.

11. Thanks to alan-d from:

Raja (4th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi

Go to Vanilla. More support is avaliable. Depending on your enviornment, you can do it in house with help from a 3rd party.

Regards
    Sukh

13. Thanks to sukh from:

Raja (4th March 2011)

Thank Post
    I would go vanilla - depending on how much active directory/native microsoft experience you have it may be worth getting a third party in to help setup but you will still save money compared to RM and will be running industry standard stuff so be able to choose from a large variety of support options.
    Software I recommend - impero, papercut/pcounter, dovestones AD bulk users, Ghost/WDS to replace RM tools.

15. Thanks to maark from:

Raja (4th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks for all your advice guys. rely appreciate it. Is there a good company anyone can recommend so I can speak with them and see whats what. Honestly I had enough of CC3 because of all the small but annoying problems. eg. any system changes made or install would make the Active Primary 3 come up with an error and to resolve it and Admin has to log in and run the program and log off. Then you have internet not working randomly when users log in. stuff like that.

Thank Post
    Hi Raja

Maybe if you describe your enviornment it may help to identify what you can and can't do. It's difficult to say without decribing your envionrment.

Regards
    Sukh

18. Thanks to sukh from:

Raja (4th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    Hi Raja

Maybe if you describe your enviornment it may help to identify what you can and can't do. It's difficult to say without decribing your envionrment.

Regards
    Sukh
    we have 120 client computers. and it will just be used for curriculam network and printers for student and teachers. we have a separate server for admin stuff. let me know if there is any other information you may need to advice me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post
    We have just gone the CC3 to Vanilla route and you need to think carefully about how you are replacing a lot of the things which are standard in CC3 but not included in a standard vanilla install - imaging/build solution, Auditor, SmartCache, print credit management, RM Tutor etc.

This wasn't thought about at our place and we are now suffering the consequences.
    I spent a couple of years working with CC3 then moved to a vanilla house so have some experience working with each and both have their good and bad points. However, the two biggest things I'd suggest you consider are:
    1. The above advice, while CC3/4 are based on windows they bring a LOT of extras to the table. That's not to say that any of these are unique to CC and can't be achieved without this setup, but expect to have a number of additional services to install beyond just Windows to get the same feature set you're used to.
    2. Your own skills and time constraints, not just to build things initially but to support them when things go wrong or requirements change in the future. At least with RM there's someone you can call and shout at on the end of a phone.

Your suggestion of using an external party for assistance with a vanilla solution certainly seems a good half way house between the two, although when dealing with the parties make sure that you get costs not just for the initial installation work but also find out if there are additional costs for upgrades, support and system changes once things are in and sorted.

Whichever option you choose it's always good to see people with open minds to the different options available to them and taking serious time to investigate those options.

21. Thanks to michaelf from:

Raja (4th March 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast