+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, CC3 - Printing to wrong printers. in Technical; Hi, We've been having a problem lately where a student prints but it comes out from a different printer on ...

Thank Post

CC3 - Printing to wrong printers.

Hi,

We've been having a problem lately where a student prints but it comes out from a different printer on the other side of the school. It appears to be random, it seems to happen in any room and can print to any printer, not always the same. A reset of the profile, or even logging off and on sometimes fixes the problem but then it will happen again later on. I'm not sure whether this is a problem with users, computers or something else. Has anyone else encountered this before?

Any help much appreciated, Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have had an issue where the wrong printer is set to default so when people click print it isn't going where they think it is.
    However, are you saying that when people select a particular printer it is turning up on another?

Thank Post
    Yeah thats right. It is showing the correct printer, but coming out elsewhere.

Thank Post
    Sounds like possibly an IP address problem of some sort? Can you print to the printer when logged on to the server hosting the printer in question?

Thank Post
    Is it all programs? I know Publisher has a fun bug where it stores the printer in the registry, the print dialogue will show the local default but unless reselected will print to the previously used printer.

Otherwise makes sure the stations have a default printer set in RMMC, no default set locally. Use DelProf to clear the workstation of all profiles and then reset the user.

Thank Post
    we had this issue - haven't seen it since we removed our printers from RM servers.

Thank Post
    Yeah we can print when logged onto the server and I've checked the IPs, not duplicates. I had heard about the problem with publisher but this is with all programs. What is Delprof?

Thank Post
    Is it happening when they select a printer or just when they hit the print button on the toolbar? We had a problem a while back where after clicking on the print button, it printed on the printer in the room in which they were last logged on. We think it was caused by profiles not being saved back when they logged off. I think it may have been linked with a loopback that happened at the time but that may just have been a coincidence. IIRC a profile reset solved the problem.

Thank Post
    Wow! I'm so glad it's not just us. I've been seeing this issue randomly on our system too.

It seems to have died down recently but never did get to the bottom of it. Was very odd as the user was definitely printing to the correct printer and it did not have IP conflicts, yet the job came out on a completely different printer, in a location where the previous and current user on the affected workstation hadn't even logged on to.

Event logs, printer logs, station mapping logs threw up absolutely nothing of any use.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread