+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Need help; Java 6 Update 23 Group Policy Deployment in Technical; I have been trying to successfully deploy Java 6 Update 23 using a GPO to an active directory group with ...

Thank Post

Need help; Java 6 Update 23 Group Policy Deployment

I have been trying to successfully deploy Java 6 Update 23 using a GPO to an active directory group with two computer in it for testing, they are both running Windows XP. I have followed the guide located at Windows IT Pro -- Search "Use Group Policy to Distribute JRE With Its Automatic Update Feature Disabled" , however whenever I reach the end of Step 4 when the software should be installed upon restart, instead I receive 5 Events under 'Application' in the Event Viewer upon restart.

I have checked the article at 404TechSupport -- Search "Deploying Java through Group Policy and Java RE Improvements" and it suggests that I need the Data1.cab file to be in the same location as the .MSI and the .MST that was created with Orca by me. After adding the Data1.cab file along with another .MST (Sp1033.MST) that was in the directory with the .MSI to a shared network drive that is available to all users, I am still given the same Events through the viewer.

I have double-checked permissions @ the GPO along with permissions @ the networked folder and everything seems in order; the directory along with the files are able to be reached through Windows Explorer by all users.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I am putting the GPO together under Windows Server 2008 if that comes into play also.

PS--Sorry about lack of links, couldn't get to post with the urls in post.

Below I will include the information from the five Events:
    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Application Management
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 301
    Date: 2/10/2011
    Time: 12:02:46 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: PORTABLE2
    Description:
    The assignment of application Java(TM) 6 Update 23 from policy JAVAtest@@2 succeeded.

Event Type: Error
    Event ID: 102
    Time: 12:02:47 PM
    Description:
    The install of application Java(TM) 6 Update 23 from policy JAVAtest@@2 failed. The error was : The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.

Event Type: Information
    Event ID: 303
    Description:
    The removal of the assignment of application Java(TM) 6 Update 23 from policy JAVAtest@@2 succeeded.

Event ID: 108
    Description:
    Failed to apply changes to software installation settings. Software changes could not be applied. A previous log entry with details should exist. The error was : The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.

Event Source: Userenv
    Event ID: 1085
    Description:
    The Group Policy client-side extension Software Installation failed to execute. Please look for any errors reported earlier by that extension.

Thank Post
    No ideas or suggestions or... anything from anyone??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonw231 View Post
    the directory along with the files are able to be reached through Windows Explorer by all users.
    Are you aware it needs to be accessible by the computer accounts rather than a user? Authenticated Users group should cover this, but might be worth adding Domain Computers in too just to check.

Thank Post
    Due to other previous testing, I already have added the "Everyone" group to the GPO's security Delegation list. This would cover a literal idea of everyone, correct?

Also, so do you mean to say that a user on the local client computer is what needs to be able to access the .MSI,.MST,&.CAB? So instead of it being like DOMAIN\DomainUser trying to access the files apart of the GPO, it is something more like CLIENTCOMPUTER\LocalUser trying to access a networked shared location? If so, could it be that it is getting stuck essentially when you would be asked to provide a network user and password if you were to navigate to the shared location from CLIENTCOMPUTER\LocalUser??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    When the software is deployed to the computer GPO (which is what appears to be the case here), the account used to access the share is DOMAIN\COMPUTERNAME$, which is the account associated with the computer object in the AD. That is the account that needs NTFS permissions to the share and files. The permissions you have on the GPO are already sufficient, or you wouldn't see Event ID 301 (or any of the others).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread