+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Calculating Network points & Switches in Technical; Hi Guys, We are having a new building which needs networking and I am looking at the number of points ...

Thank Post

Calculating Network points & Switches

Hi Guys,

We are having a new building which needs networking and I am looking at the number of points required and switch to go in there. For some reason I keep thinking that when looking at future growth keep in mind a 30% growth space, but I dont know where I have this from.

Does anyone know where I can find a template for the number of points you should cable per person? I would like something else to back me rather than just making my opinion.

Thanks

Thank Post
    We budget 2 points per desk position with an additional 30% margin for high level points for CCTV and Wifi and other low level peripherals.
    But whatever you do install will never be enough....

If it's a completely new build saturate it.
    I was at Wembley Stadium recently for a Network Managers meeting and was gobsmacked at how many outlets there are everywhere, but as everything is IP based including access control, building management, CCTV, signage, wifi, telephones, enviromental monitoring oh and don't forget Data....

The Olympic site is similar, the data centre was built first sealed up and the stadium built around it.

Cabinets with hundreds of outlets everywhere, Westfield at Stratford is the same.
    All of the builders and architects have finally woken up and smelt the coffee, I'm glad to say we now get involved at the planning stages rather than after the second electrical fix!

So whatever you think you need, double it add a number between 3 and 7 and multiply by 4... (you wanted a formula) and it's as good as any.

3. Thanks to m25man from:

penfold (14th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Its a hard one to suggest as we don't know whats going into the building.

I always put in 38 sockets in an IT room with 31 Pc's - printer - ip phone when we get them - moving computers around etc.

then for desks 2 per desk (if it would be a desk for me about 10!)

then working out where my wireless would be situated and then a socked hidden in the ceiling above.

Again sockets in the ceiling for anywhere where i am going to put digital signage.

all depends on usage of the building.

5. Thanks to glennda from:

Thank Post
    If its just a PC going in we budget on a double point per PC but if its having phone too it either gets a single and a double or 2 doubles.

Reception desks etc we add in more as they are needed. Put more in that needed then you cannot go wrong.

7. Thanks to MatthewL from:

Thank Post
    We budget 4 per desk in an office (or teacher classroom desk), together with at least 2 at high level in each classroom/office (and 6 evenly spaced in blocks of 2 down most corridors in our buildings). IT rooms tend to get the standard treatment then around an extra 40-46 to allow for extra PCs/PC movement etc. Still think it's not enough however!

9. Thanks to Soulfish from:

Thank Post
    Thanks guys, the equipment inside keeps changing but what I wanted to do is provide something that would effectively say this is the minium number, but recommended would be... You've confirmed my thoughts of getting as much points installed at build stage as we can

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Double point for every PC, so a room of 30 PCs will get 60 points in it. Teacher Desks get 4 or 6 points as we run the projectors over CAT5 extenders now and you can do composite and audio over them as well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread