+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, ClassRoom Control Software... in Technical; ok here goes, we are using netop which has proven not to work on multiple terminal servers and even fat ...
    Thank Post

ClassRoom Control Software...

ok here goes, we are using netop which has proven not to work on multiple terminal servers and even fat clients properly.

So now we are looking at netsupport school/SchoolVue (Ranger Remote Control).

Still this I think we have issues.

We have 9 load balanced terminal servers, multiple classes across multiple servers. The classes are dynamic %CLIENTID% can be used for grouping classes together.

Does anyone use a product that will work...all we want to do is control/watch screens, control web access, and control applcation access, without the choice of the student as to which clas they are in, and they will disconnect/logoff if they are being controlled, but I want to show they are fighting a loosing battle.

Thank Post

Re: ClassRoom Control Software...

I'm currently looking into this, I have no budget for the project and so will be using open software... check out TeacherCP and iTALC.

I have used NetSupport under a similar config too and it is great but costly in comparison to the open options

Thank Post

I use ABTutor Control and it is fantastic can block apps, internet and lots more. Best part is the client versions are FREE!! with just £100 per admin machine that you want the teachers version on.

Thank Post

We use Netsupport, and its pretty good. it has a comprehensive set of controls and options, probably one of the best pieces of software available.

the only problems with it are:

1) it sometimes causes machines to blue screen because of the way it ties in with the graphics card driver
    2) the service sometimes crashes causing strange errors, but this can be resolved by restarting the service.

Depends on how much money youve got really as to what you go for.

Ultra VNC i think is quite good, but ive never really used it myself.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid
    I use ABTutor Control and it is fantastic can block apps, internet and lots more. Best part is the client versions are FREE!! with just £100 per admin machine that you want the teachers version on.
    Seconded - ~NetOp was awful - never worked properly - AB is a cracking bit of kit - though haven't tried it in TS though

Thank Post

AFAIK AB Tutor does not work on a TS. I have only so far seen netop that works on a TS system

fooby

Thank Post

Many schools use Bozteck VNCScan (http://www.vncscan.com). It remote controls with UltraVNC and has a cool screen shot feature where it can capture all of the classroom computer screens into a tiled thumbnail view kind of like Apple's Remote Desktop.

Thank Post

SurfControl Enterprise Threat Shield will do the job. Has app control(it's funny to see the end user open an inappropriate app then for it to close down just as quick followed by a report to IS html pop up!), spyware/IM protection and browser watch.

Thank Post

We use Lanschool here for classroom control. Allows for full colour screenshots to be taken, tiles the screens on teacher machine, allows teacher to transfer files, broadcast to students screens, re-broadcast the students screens, switch of students screens and black internet access as well as much much more.

You can set it to certain channels so that the teacher controls only the room they are in and then have a special channel like in my office where I can view every screen in every channel.

Awesome.

Thank Post

Thanks for all your comments.

The latest build ofnetop has fixed the main issues..(no policy deployment, and permissions issues)

So we are going to see how it goes.

Thank Post

I don't use any of the above as teachers find them frustrating when a student logs off and logs on to the network again and finds they are no longer being controlled.

I use a free viewing tool called gencontrol from www.gensortium.com and the teachers all use a product from Codework called Browse Control. This allows staff to turn the internet on and off very simply by clicking ona folder with a list of their workstations in it, right click, internet on/off as they choose. They can also use this application as a web and application filter that works on the fly. They can lock keyboard and mouse turn screen black, shutdown, restart, boot computer, block CD Drive and Floppy drive, all very simply and needs no network manager intervention!!

Codework Website

ctbjs

Thank Post

Yup looked at that one..netop does make them jump back in. which is where SchoolVue fell down.

BrowseControl is'nt supported on thin clients......yet..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread