+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, School Migration CC3 to CC4 in Technical; Hi Guys, we are looking to migrate to CC4/Win 7 possibly in about a years time we are still at ...

Thank Post

School Migration CC3 to CC4

Hi Guys, we are looking to migrate to CC4/Win 7 possibly in about a years time we are still at the planning stage and I could do with advice on the biggest hurdle to overcome...teachers laptops

Now as a school we have around 120 ish teachers and support staff with laptops which just will not cut the mustard. The school just like any other just doesn't have the funds to replace them. Things were fine under the "laptops for teachers" scheme, which doesn't exist anymore and the the consensus in the school is that nearly everyone newly employed waltzes straight to the IT dept for their laptop.

I am going to be highly popular within the school as of next year, but was just wondering how other schools have managed similar processes i.e. MS Office home user license's etc for teachers on their own home kit yada yada yada.....

Any advice given would gratefully received!

rad
    Thank Post
    The demand for laptops is not as high as when I first started, this could be due to the low cost they now are.

As for CC3-CC4 Win7, I would say that is a huge jump, Are you on CC3 XP at the moment?

Thank Post
    Hi Rad,

Thanks for the response. Yep we intend to do the big jump, make the school fit for the future, with the possibilty of refreshing all the out of warranty workstations in the school with new RM ones (i5 core with 4gb ram in each). I will be pushing to get all new machines with a 5 year self care warranty and refresh every 5 years to keep abreast of the latest tech for the girls here. CC4 and win 7 at the same time would be the icing on the cake

Thank Post
    Oh and yes we are CC3/XP at the moment

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If the school leadership team will not allocate money for a central or departmental staff laptop fund - then the solutions is simple - just don't offer laptops. This is the route we are taking.

Anyone who still has one is lucky to do so. Anyone whose laptop breaks and cannot be economically repaired is unlucky. Anyone who starts from now should be told not to expect a laptop to be given to them.

6. 2 Thanks to webman:

andyturpie (7th February 2011), john (7th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi Webman, has your policy been rolled out now and how are staff taking to it?

I understand that there may be the isolated case of some teachers may not have internet or laptops at home, but is there really any need for the majority to have two? Like I said I would love to issue each member of staff a home user license agreement the one which costs around 8 quid to install on their own kit and supply them with 2 USB sticks to transfer and keep a back up of docs.

We have well in excess of 300 workstations within the school that can be used utilized more effectively!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In the process of implementing it. A student laptop loan scheme recently finished, and we "refurbished" the best ones of those that were returned for staff use; so it wasn't too bad.

Most of our staff have their own equipment, so haven't felt the full force of any backlash which may happen

9. Thanks to webman from:

andyturpie (7th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Two of my schools have come to the conclusion that they just can't afford to fund teacher laptops any longer. Only had a couple of issues so far, one teacher was very understanding, one raised merry Hell.
    I have put in place remote access to their files which I think (hope) will lessen the impact.

11. Thanks to sparkeh from:

andyturpie (7th February 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread