+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, RM cut Vista support on CC4 in Technical; In case anyone hadn't noticed the tiny article casually placed on the RM website, from July 2011 RM will no ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries

RM cut Vista support on CC4

In case anyone hadn't noticed the tiny article casually placed on the RM website, from July 2011 RM will no longer support Vista on CC4.

For (a scant few) more details see NWS1903583 on rm.com

rad
    Thank Post
    Seems like they are throwing Vista out before XP, tells you something then....

Thank Post
    not good news for CC4 schools on Vista who cannot afford to upgrade to W7. I wouldn't be happy if we had to rebuild every workstation back to XP!

Thank Post
    We are still XP on CC3... No need to worry there just yet then. Although when support for that stops...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    not good news for CC4 schools on Vista who cannot afford to upgrade to W7. I wouldn't be happy if we had to rebuild every workstation back to XP!
    Yep that is the position we are in. Vista runs fine but XP was awful.
    Feeling really let down by RM here.

Thank Post
    I also not particulary happy that this decision has been made especially without consultation with customers. My account manager has forwarded a number of my concerns on to development who where quick with a response, i wont post the response here as i dont think it would be fair but i dont think they have properly concidered the repercussions for a number of schools.

Thank Post
    especially without consultation with customers
    The response is predictable though e.g. customer with:

XP: ::shrug::
    Vista: "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! It hurts...!!!"
    Win7: ::shrug::

Makes me wonder about a) how many of their customers use Vista on CC, b) current RM resources/budgets (I wouldn't have thought knocking out a Vista SP2 and the subsequent hotfixes would be that time-consuming).

Thank Post
    RM surely needs to be much more flexible, they can't possible put all their customers in one single bucket like they do now. I mean, they stopped builing the old RM One version two because the 'feedback' they got from customers was that the RM One version 3, that huge bulky that only comes with 19" widescreen, is the one everybody wanted, sorry, not us, 19" widescreen can't be applicable to all situations!
    Still on CC3, moving to RM (take 2, last summer installation failed!) CC4 over the summer, phew I skip the Vista issue, and sorry for you guys who has it, my sincere condolences, something is the network is dying...
    Last edited by maestromasada; 4th February 2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: fixing mistake

Thank Post
    Ok i will share the statics which they quoted "Over 1/2M XP stations and about 20,000 Vista stations in the field. We also already got ~ 20000 W7 stations"
    We only have maybe 30 vista stations so prehaps i dont have much call for compaint but an awful lot of schools who took up CC4 in the first year or two will no doubt have scatterings of vista machines, some did commit there whole network to vista as the login times for XP where abismal before SR1.
    And know you wouldnt have thought knocking out SP2 and the subsequent hotfixes through WSUS would be all that time consuming especially given that SP2 is more of an update roll up unlike SP1 but then i'm not a developer i suppose.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maestromasada View Post
    RM surely needs to be much more flexible, they can't possible put all their customers in one single bucket like they do now. I mean, they stopped builing the old RM One version two because the 'feedback' they got from customers was that the RM One version 3, that huge bulky that only comes with 19" widescreen, is the one everybody wanted, sorry, not us, 19" widescreen can't be applicable to all situations!
    Still on CC3, moving to RM (take 2, last summer installation failed!) CC4 over the summer, phew I skip the Vista issue, and sorry for you guys who has it, my sincere condolences, something is the network is dying...
    After speaking to Sparkeh about CC4 and XP v Vista I'd been meaning to build a few Vista machines to compare logon times etc. Perhaps it's a good job I haven't done this so far... Shall just have to wait and see about upgrading to 7 then, if there's money for licenses.

I notice that RM are now doing an RM One value which comes with no monitor?

Thank Post
    but then i'm not a developer i suppose.
    Perhaps it's just querulous me, but devs are no better at agreeing with each other than anyone else. They're interesting but the stats alone don't justify anything, whereas RM enumerating the difficulties, the work in making an SP2, the overheads in continuing to supporting Vista might.

It's a bit of a precedent though isn't it i.e. dropping support for an OS before MS kill it? I would want some kind of assurance on the RM lifecycle for Win7 now.

Thank Post
    Anyone who has purchased licenses in the last year and have Vista can switch to Windows 7 without putchasing any new licenses. Just phone up RM for more details. We found that we could switch from Vista to Windows 7 for free.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread