+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Test domain on RM network in Technical; Hi all I am going to attempt installing a Windows 2008 R2 on a test server and setup a test ...

Thank Post

Test domain on RM network

Hi all

I am going to attempt installing a Windows 2008 R2 on a test server and setup a test vanilla domain. Plan is to run it alongside the current CC3 network but was looking for tips on how best to do this?

My plan was to install Server 2008 R2 on the server, create a new domain, setup DNS for the domain on the existing DNS servers and disable DHCP. With regards to the RM side of things how is best to make sure no unwanted policies etc are applied to this server?

Would appreciate any input, tips or advice

Thank Post
    If it were me, keep a test domain away from the 'live' domain. Then it doesnt matter what you do, it wont effect anything.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    If it were me, keep a test domain away from the 'live' domain. Then it doesnt matter what you do, it wont effect anything.
    I have looked into this - our LEA has a managed routing switch (which we dont have any control of) which is connected to our main router. Our core switch is then connected to the LEA routing switch. So we would need permission to hook up a test switch to that routing switch and then patch in points we need. Not impossible just wondering if secure way to have the two domains on the 1 physical network.

Thank Post
    set up a virtual network using VirtualBox or Virtual PC. you can then install server 2008 and a number of client OS' to test on without connecting to the main domain.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts
    @mcnallyfc:

Have you looked at the virtulisation route?

If you have a spare unit which has plenty of storage and will run Xenserver which is free this may give you all you need without effecting the "Live Network".

Thank Post
    Havent looked at virtualisation - we dont get on lol i always have issues

Never used XenServer though - is it easy to setup? I have downloaded the 5.6.0 iso and might give that a try

Thank Post
    Seting up XenServer is really easy. Works great as well. I have test domain running alongside my RM CC3 domain, I even use DHCP and DNS of a CC3 domain, and it works fine so far. Your GPO have no chance to interfere with RM domain, unless you establish trusts and design GPOs to work on different domains. Of course the test domain need to have different name. That's how big companies out there do that. They have big forest with different domains for different branches/offices - sometime they have to exchange data between domain, but other set-ups have domains independent of each other.
    If you really want to be extra careful, you can setup your domain on different IP range, with own dns and dhcp, but I found that I have problems connecting new DCs to internet (router on different IP range).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread