+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Deploying Java 6 update 23 by msi via GPO in Technical; Hi everyone, I have this issue, and got stock to the last problem. there is. I got the Java 6 ...

Thank Post

Deploying Java 6 update 23 by msi via GPO

Hi everyone,
    I have this issue, and got stock to the last problem. there is. I got the Java 6 Update 23 msi by installing the java with the offline version and pick up the msi in the documents and setting/user/application data/sun. in fact I take the msi, cab, and mst files. I ussed Orca to modify the properties of the msi (turn off automatic update check, java update, systray and turn on IE, mozilla, EUla an SDKsilent). I was thinking that I had all my options and that the installation will be silent, butno, When launching the msi, it ask me to confirme the destination folder for the installation and the rest of it is install silent, but my .msi does'nt work in gpo because it ask the destination folder. I did search in installdir in the msi, but I did not find where or how make it silent and install in the default destination folder.

Someone can help me. I did search over the web, but I am stuck a the last step..

thanks

Thank Post
    Not sure if this helps you but I use the exe downloaded from java.sun.com and not java.com because it doesn't contain toolbars or other add-ons. Also I use MDT2010 to deploy Java to my images so the command I use is:

jre-6u22-windows-i586.exe /s ADDLOCAL=ALL

After installed I use a GPO to set the updates to 0 so my users don't get update notices.

Thank Post
    did you also grab the data1.cab file?

Thank Post
    Thanks for the answer.

bmittleider: having a specific version already install on the windows image of the computer cause issue regarding some programm that must have a specific version of Java. So the windows image does,nt have any other program than windows itself. Every other program are msi deploy by GPO. But, I was using the java.com version, so I will give a shot for the java.sun.com in case.

Sted: yes, I do have the data1.cab as well as the msi file. Still no go.

Keep sending comemnt, information, that way I may find somethign to make it work.

thanks you again

Thank Post
    I deployed Update 23 a couple of weeks ago. I'm surprised your configuration didn't work. How were you launching to test it? You know that for an MSI to install silently while you are logged on, you need to run the command msiexec /i %MSILOCATIONANDFILENAME% /qn. Substitute /qb for /qn if you just want to see a progress bar for installation, with no prompt.

I grabbed the MSI, CAB and MST. Modified the MST to apply similar settings (disable systray, autoupdate etc). This deployed fine in GPO.

Thank Post
    Hi Michael,
    I did the modification in the msi with Orca, then I selected transform, and apply transform to the .mst file. In Java 6 update 2, i have 2 .mst file, I have the jre1036.mst file and the sp1036.mst. Did you modify both ? Maybe this is where i am mistaken ?

Basically a have 4 files: jre1.6.0_26.msi, data1.cab, jre1036.mst and sp1036.mst

And one extra question. The actual version install from teh previous gpo is Java 6 update 14. Will it overrite teh previous version or I have to withdraw the actual java 6 update 14 gpo from the computers and the add the Java 6 update 23 gpo when it will work ?

thanks, again, I feel like it will be solve soon !

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farfadet View Post
    Hi Michael,
    I did the modification in the msi with Orca, then I selected transform, and apply transform to the .mst file. In Java 6 update 2, i have 2 .mst file, I have the jre1036.mst file and the sp1036.mst. Did you modify both ? Maybe this is where i am mistaken ?

Basically a have 4 files: jre1.6.0_26.msi, data1.cab, jre1036.mst and sp1036.mst
    That should be fne as long as none of the settings you configure in the MSI are specififed in the transform, as the settings in the transform would take precedence when applied. I prefer to make my changes in a transform so I'm not touching the vendor's MSI.

The Apply Transform option in Orca is used to open a transform for viewing/editing, it does not commit the contents of the transform to the MSI (that seems to be how you were using it from the description above). The transform is applied over the MSI at install-time, either using the TRANSFORMS property with msiexec.exe, or the Modifications tab in GPO Software Installation.

I don't have the jre????.mst in the English version of Java RE. Perhaps Sun have supplied this with all non-English distributions to localise the installer language?

Can you be more specific how you are testing the MSI and expecting it to install silently? As I mentioned, just double clicking the MSI won't run the installer silently, nor will it apply any transforms.

And one extra question. The actual version install from teh previous gpo is Java 6 update 14. Will it overrite teh previous version or I have to withdraw the actual java 6 update 14 gpo from the computers and the add the Java 6 update 23 gpo when it will work ?
    Recent Java installers have included the necessary actions to remove previous version of Java. Theoretically you should be able to remove the old version's package from the GPO and select not to uninstall, but it would be worth testing that works as expected. I deployed this upgrade to all computers covered by the policy at once, so I selected the old version to uninstall immediately, then added in the new version package. If you are deploying it as a test to one computer, or are deploying the upgrade in batches, then I guess it would make sense to use the Upgrade Tab in Group Policy.
    Last edited by meastaugh1; 15th January 2011 at 05:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi,
    My .MSI is working. I try it on 1 computer with no previous version and it is fine. the issue is when there is a previous version of java install. So, I did another test. I removed 1 computer from the previous verison of java (6.14) and try to install the new one (6.23) and it is not workign. When I removed the computer from the gpo (6.14), java does not unisntall... Can anyone tell me why when I removed the computer from the GPO java does not unistall like my oher program. SInce we manage 850 computer, this is a big issue. I am doing whant I can since the previous admin walk away without leaving any information on how he made upde is msi file, the modification apply, etc.

SO, anyone can tell me why tje java program does'nt uninstall when I remove the gpo from the computer ?

Thansk again to anyone who send me answer/information/advice, etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farfadet View Post
    SO, anyone can tell me why tje java program does'nt uninstall when I remove the gpo from the computer ?

Thansk again to anyone who send me answer/information/advice, etc.
    best guess is that when you set up the msi you diddnt tick the "uninstall this appliction when it falls out of the scope of mangement" option so it will stay unless you manually remove it

Thank Post
    We deployed java 6-22 using GPO and just tried to remove it from one machine and received a 1703 error about a problem with a dll. Have you tried to remove the old Java manually from one of the machines? Also I just downloaded ORCA, but I am not sure how to make the changes to disable updates. Can you pass that along?

Thank Post
    I read this thread with great interest. I have been wanting to setup the install for java 6-23 using GPO. With Win 7, I couldn't find the msi where people said it was. I did a search for msi's and found it under "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\AU"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread