+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Migration from CC3 server 2003 to CC4 on server 2008 - anyone else? in Technical; Morning all, Just wondered if there is anyone else in the same position as myself or if they have any ...

Thank Post

Migration from CC3 server 2003 to CC4 on server 2008 - anyone else?

Morning all,

Just wondered if there is anyone else in the same position as myself or if they have any thoughts on the below???

I have an aging CC3 network and looking to migrate to CC4 over the summer. However in these dark economic times, and in the year 2011 I refuse to move sideways to server 2003 this summer, then next year or in a couple of years, pay the extortionate RM engineer costs to move to server 2008 because 2003 will stop being supported etc etc

The servers really must be replaced this year as they are on their last legs, so i cant even just keep them ticking over.

RM are still trying to make CC4 work on server 2008 and im just wondering if there is anyone else out there asking for CC4 on server 2008?

I find it amazing they arent using what i personally would call an aging yet stable operating system that is server 2008, or that other people arent asking for this and also kicking up a stink??

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts
    @Max_Power:

Give them a chance to get CC4 with server 2003 sorted first hehe!!

Of course we all would like to be on the latest 2008R2 servers but this takes time and if you don't want to go Vanilla then it is a waiting game for those of us who chose RM.

At the moment we are a CC3 server 2000SP4 network and have been for 9 years everything is solid as a rock but we are moving to new servers in February but these are 2003R2 which will suffice for the time being and I am sure there will be an upgrade path released in the coming year to Server 2008R2.

Just be patient and all will out in the end as there are quite a few people who are asking for 2008R2 from RM.

Happy New Year to you

Thank Post
    we are in a similar position. we had an ageing cc3 server infrastructure until the summer holidays when we virtualized in-house using vmWare vSphere 4.

We had quotes from RM to move to CC4 but there is no way we could afford it.

We are considering moving away from RM and implementing our own Server 2008 / Windows 7 infrastructure and consider the virtualization as the first phase of this transition. To be honest i didn't know that Server 2008 was not supported on cc4!

Thank Post
    Although RM can be called a market leader for the network stuff within education there are other companies offering a similar solution, even though it may not be all singing and dancing like RMs interface etc. Redstone offer a good services which i have seen at a few schools of similar size, and it uses up to date resources.

I just think RM are a little slow off the mark when it comes to using newish technology.

As bossman says maybe patience is needed :-(

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Always have been and always will be!

Your CC3 install isn't that old, 4 years maybe!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    Although RM can be called a market leader for the network stuff within education there are other companies offering a similar solution, even though it may not be all singing and dancing like RMs interface etc. Redstone offer a good services which i have seen at a few schools of similar size, and it uses up to date resources.

I just think RM are a little slow off the mark when it comes to using newish technology.

As bossman says maybe patience is needed :-(

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread