+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Community Connect 4 in Technical; A couple of weeks ago I had a visit from one of the guys from RM and he was telling ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Community Connect 4

A couple of weeks ago I had a visit from one of the guys from RM and he was telling me about Community Connect 4 which is due for release at the end of the year.

I'm trying to find out some more information on what it will include but not succeeding.

I've been told it will involve vista and xp being able to be on the same network together, and that the management console will actually be an installed ap instead of a web-based program, but other than that i'm not sure on what else it will include that isn't already in CC3? it might possibly have the latest rm tutor on it as well (would be nice as it'll be easier to use than tutor 2)

has anyone else heard anything about it?

i'm desperately trying to find out so that i can write a report in preparation for preparing a 3 year plan on upgrades etc and i need to get it done before the end of the week (only got asked last week - was nice to have a weeks notice for a change!)

thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts

Re: Community Connect 4

amyr: Why do you want to move to CC4 are you already on CC3?
    I am personally waiting for at least another 2 years before even contemplating moving to vista as I feel it is not quite ready as client operating system to match XPsp2 yet but in a couple of years it might well be.

I too have a three year plan to sort but what the hell it will get done when everything else is sorted (least of my worries at the mo, what with managed systems through BSF i don't feel it is really worth worrying about) network is working fine no real problems minor issues, (hardware problems i.e. printers, kyocera mita FS5016n)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

i personally don't want to but ICT Coordinator wants it put down in writing so it can go in the budget. I've already told her I wouldn't touch it for another few years and that there is no real benefits to educaton.

As far as I can tell with regards to CC4, the only improved bit is the management console, as I think it integrates local support tools as well as being an actual installed ap rather than being web-based.

i am tempted to say all we need to do for the next few years is minor upgrades - like flat screens, new mice etc rather than internals as upgraded this year to 512mb ram and 40gb hard drives - this to me will be sufficient until 2008/9 at least. i think i might try to get local support tools and rm tutor 3 out of them though as think they will be options that will be useful to have.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I will post a list of what's new in cc4 later see if can get full list or means will have rack my brain to remember all the bits..

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

thanks, will be much appreciated - rm website is being unhelpful and my account manager hasn't got back to me....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Right to buy or not to buy that is question..

ok rack brains time as can't get hold of a full list...

Lets start of what's in it first yes RMMC has been improved, expansion on the thin client stuff that is appearing RM My Connect.

Improved support for vista in the My connect product vista stations will need to be smart built but in cc4 they use the new RM build process.

Tutor 3 if not got it already plus two add on products Network recycle bin and other one escapes me now.

A new improved login screen if I remember right...

There is more but can't remember anything else...

What would say is look at cc4 if you are having new server installed then maybe look to cover costs that way..

Some people waiting till CC5 is best option for other going to cc4 is..

Disclaimer - this info based on the fact been involved in CC4 for past 12 months but it is every changing product until is released and maybe subject to change...

Russell

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

of course I meant the Client Connect and not my connect.

Also improved update mechanisms and improved my status..

Russell

Thank Post

There is a tech seminar note on CC4 and Client Connect on the RM Knowledge base, but it has been removed because they are updating it (and this was before christmas)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

thanks for that, will add it to the bit of blurb i'm putting together to say don;t bother for the next few years unless you want to buy me some new network management tools any ideas on how much its going to cost and whether there will be a straight upgrade from cc3?

thanks again
    amy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

All cc3 stations brought now are duel license cc4/cc4 and then cost of server upgrade.

The install will be a customer upgrade next big upgrade aka like moving from 2.4 to cc3 will I suspect will be with cc5 when in theroy that would be using longhorn server etc..

As said if buying new server then cost effective to upgrade to cc4...

Russ

Thank Post

Only things I can remember from the feature list is the trickle install/patching, the RMMC moving away from webUI to full app and it has a inventory module.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@optics When did you see it at rm tech semnair...

Russ

Thank Post

As far as I'm concerned there's no point in implementing Vista on a network until we get the next version of Windows Server to take advantage of all of the functionality (windows search/etc) offered by the client OS. I can't see any advantage in running Vista with the existing Server OS (2003).
    We ran 2000 server in conjunction with XP and got burned on several occassions because of incompatabilities between the two OS's because holes/bugs in 2000 server hadn't been patched/updated to take into account windows XP which postdated it. Personally, I wouldnt go with a server release/update unless it's after the desktop OS has been out for a while in future again.
    I guess RM may not have the luxury of being able to wait for the next server release to implement CC4 which is probably why they're hands' been forced to press on with CC4 ahead of time using Vista/2003 Server.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

ok so its all a case of do i want to upgrade the server? hmm will have to have a look at the specs on it and do a projection on how long it will feasibly last before it really needs to be replaced, as the moment i think it's only 3 years old, so could feasibly last another 2 years or so...i'm not in any hurry to upgrade to cc4 when it comes out - would never go with a brand new o/s until at least 6 months after release date when most of the bugs should have been found and fixed!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Can I just say cc4 is not just about vista in fact CC3 will support vista via Client Connect.

Lots more just can't think off top of my head and also that is is changing product at moment.

What will say RM I think have realistic ambitions they know some people will move over to cc4 from cc3 some will stay with cc3. Also it will make some people still on 2.4 move over.

The time frame of release of longhorn is my guess why they had to move with cc4 so once take it into account delays of release longhorn will be couple years of and lets face it non of us are going to be jumping to longhorn sever any time soon.

Thing is if vista had been released on time then cc4 would of been around for two years or so is my guess.

I think moving to cc4 is an option if going to buy new or extra server for example.

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast