+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Community Connect 4 in Technical; thanks for that, time for me to start thinking about the 3 year plan then. it would be useful to ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Community Connect 4

thanks for that, time for me to start thinking about the 3 year plan then. it would be useful to know how much this is going to cost but that's unlikely to be made available until the summer I guess....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

just had another thought. is cc4 more likely to want 2003 server rather than 2k server? as currently running a 2k server which is quite stable and don't really want to go down the route of trying to upgrade to 2003 server (especially don't want to do an ad migration as i'll need a spare machine to sort it all out on first) and i've never upgraded a server from one o/s to another before - have only done clean vanilla installs on servers.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Not sure is answer to that can ask??

I know when we we migrated our 2k server to 2003 server we had new server installed and so got RM to do it and no issues with it..

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

ok, thanks would be useful to know i think.

Thank Post

I think the thing to remember with CC4 is that it is a "evoloutionary upgrade" rather than a "revoloutionary upgrade" to quote the sales speak. The sales speak is correct this time though.

CC4 is kind of like a service pack for CC3. As long as you have Windows 2003 server installed on all your domain controllers - you can upgrade to CC4 yourself as it will be supplied on CD. No engineer time is neccasary.

This is a big plus for me - as the C2.4 to CC3 upgrade was a long, labourious, expensive process. CC4 will not be like that. Slap the CD in the servers, restart, and hey presto, CC4!

CC4 will allow you to run Vista Clients on the network and manage them through the managment console - but it will also allow you to run and manage XP SP2 clients as well - so you are not forced to upgrade to Vista (like we were forced to upgrade to XP with CC3)

Overall - I like the idea of CC4 - I will be upgrading to CC4 in the summer of 2008 - BUT I will be sticking with XP clients all round as they are faster and more responsive than Vista clients. Currently, I see no real reason to need Vista on the desktop.

Andrew

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

thanks for that, so i would need to upgrade my 2k server to 2k3 then. i might put it in the plan for a server upgrade early 2008 to make use of cc4 so that i don't have to try to upgrade my existing server, and might see if i can keep the current one as a file server/web server for webhosting. will have a think on that one.

Thank Post

Yes - if you can get all of your servers to 2k3 then you will be in a good position when the time comes to decide.

In my case - our CC3 win2k forest root actually failed over Xmas and was unrepairable so we have just had a nice new forest root delivered with 2k3 and RM are comissioning it on Thursday!

Andrew

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Butuz
    just had a nice new forest root delivered
    Don't forget to water it 8)

Thank Post

I'll leave that to the RM Engineer! He spilt a cup of coffee over the last one!

Andrew

Thank Post

Couple of things to add:

I am getting 2 new RM Servers commissioned in May / June holidays and will have 250 new workstations by September of this year added to our RM CC3 network. These machines will all be running Vista and smart cliented onto CC3 (This is the only way to do it, without CC4).

All servers for CC4 must be running Windows 2003. And as people have said the CC4 installation will be an upgrade similar to an Service Pack.

One thing I will say is that once you have installed CC4 your Vista workstations will build via the RM new building technique, but you will also have to rebuild every other workstation on the network immediatly after you have installed CC4 as they will simply not work. So by December 2007 or near abouts when CC4 will be released I will have over 600 machines to rebuild on the network. Oh the joys!!! )

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

arr but we did with sp2 wasn't that bad...

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

so from the looks of it I need to get the server upgraded to 2k3 before I can put CC4 on it. oh joy. might be cheaper to just buy a new server when cc4 comes out...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r
    Couple of things to add:

One thing I will say is that once you have installed CC4 your Vista workstations will build via the RM new building technique, but you will also have to rebuild every other workstation on the network immediatly after you have installed CC4 as they will simply not work. So by December 2007 or near abouts when CC4 will be released I will have over 600 machines to rebuild on the network. Oh the joys!!! )
    Are you sure about that? As i understood it workstations that were already comissioned would simply automatically have the old CC3 sofware packages uninstalled and new CC4 software packages installed?

Andrew

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

With the local support tools rebuilding everything shouldn't involve too much physical legwork; unless the new LSTs won't send control messages to existing clients...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Butuz
    Are you sure about that? As i understood it workstations that were already comissioned would simply automatically have the old CC3 sofware packages uninstalled and new CC4 software packages installed?

Andrew
    That is what our Account Manager told me last week, and when I mentioned it again to clarify he said that no existing CC3 machines would login.

@Webman: as above if the users are unable to login, I don't think LST will work.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast