+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Italc - Using different ports - Maintaining Connectivity in Technical; I am looking into some lab management software for my school. Each classroom has 3-5 computers and each lab has ...

Thank Post

Italc - Using different ports - Maintaining Connectivity

I am looking into some lab management software for my school. Each classroom has 3-5 computers and each lab has 30 machines. Based on the threads I have read here I am heavily looking into Italc.

I began setting up a handful of machines and got them working then moved onto installing it on 15 of the student machines. We run realVNC so it was necessary to change the ports that it talks on. I ran the script I found here. Mine looks something like this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\iTALC Solutions\iTALC\parameters]
    "ivsport"="45012"
    "isdport"="47012"

It seemed to work for a while but once the machines go to sleep I loose control of the machine. I can turn them on if they are off and shut them down if they are on and have connectivity. Is there any way to wake up the machine when it sleeps through Italc?

I am also running into problems with connectivity. Once I had it installed on more than 5 machines it has never been possible to see all of the machines I had it installed on. Does this have something to do with the ports I chose to use? Would it be smart to use different ports for each of the machines?

Does anyone have any tips or ideas on implementation of italc? Any ideas will help.

Thank Post
    Any one have any ideas?

I am stuck at this point. I have it installed on 20 machines in my lab. I changed the port on all of the machines and each one is running on its own port. I cant ever connect to more than 8 of the machines at a time now. I can fully control some of the machines the others show up with "host unreachable"

Does the firewall need any outbound access?

I also did the fix for letting more than 10 connections per second in XP:
    www.LvlLord.de - Tipps, Tricks & Utilities - Downloads
    (I didn't know what to set it to, I selected 500)

If there is anyone using this software I would like to talk to you about how this is implemented. I know I am close but I feel like there is something I am missing.

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    I finally figured this out. Just for documentation purposes I am posting.

I was having problems with DHCP changing a few of the machines IP's each time they were rebooting. This was especially bad when we were adding machines in the building while I was working on this.

The hack for more connections is a necessary for getting this up and running in addition to getting each computer running on its own port number. I had to go with very high port numbers to get this out of the way of the other software we run here.

In addition, I rolled back all of the machines to version 1.0.9, which has had a lot more stability for me. The handful of hours I put in on this saved my school thousands by not purchasing any new software.

Thank Post
    I've been having a look at this too. We currently use Lanview so need to change the ports. Can I just check that you mean each seperate computer has a port dedicated to iTalc? Is this the only way to get large ammounts working? Its just we would be looking at 300+ machines and thats alot of port numbers to change lol.

Thank Post
    That is exactly what I did. It worked a lot more smooth when I had each computer on its own port. I wrote a batch script to implement this. It was easy to do in the computer lab where we only have 35 computers. I am not sure how I will do this once we start to implement this in more places around the school. I am not sure how necessary it is to dedicate a port to each machine but once I did the demo mode of the software worked much better. Also, I think that it would be hard to run out of ports consider you have something like 65,000 to use. I usually just stay above 12,000 so I stay out of the way of our VNC software and some of the other networking software.

Thank Post
    Can't make the damn service start up after an MSI install at the moment so once I've overcome that I'll have a look!!! > (

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread