+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Web Help Desk FAQ/Knowledgebase examples in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Unfortunately, all the FAQ's are pretty basic, 'Janet & John' stuff......staff here aren't really in the 21st Century yet, but they're on their way, they're almost at the Y2K roundabout and should be with the rest of us in ten years or so.

Creating a Signature in Outlook.......that one went down well.
    Proxy settings in IE, How to conect to your home wi-fi, direction to finding the Outlook Address Book and Distribution Groups.......

It's difficult to know what to set-up as a FAQ, if you don't get any feedback, only 10%-ish of users ever bother using WHD, and you get no support from SLT......I feel like I'm flogging a dead horse with it all, really. I've tried putting myself in the head-space of a newly-appointed teacher or NQT, to try to work out which questions they would frequently ask, but I've not had much success with that. Maybe if I kept taking the medication..........

So here we sit with this £800+ package that could make all our lives easier in way or another, and Disinterest Rools, OK.

Thank Post
    Erm... When you set up the LDAP connections it emails everyone with details on how to log in. It tells them their password is 'LDAP Password'. Alot of users thought LDAP Password was their actual password!

Thank Post
    I gave up on expecting someone with a degree to be able to login to a helpdesk and place a call, all the lazy have to do now is send an email to helpdesk@maildomainname and they still send students to the door. I send them back with ask your teacher to place a support request.

As for FAQ's I don't want to be any more negative than I have been but frankly they cant be bothered to read them and place a support request asking " How do I do this in word" I used to point them to our FAQ but there so thick/lazy they wont even help themselves.

so now I just tell them to go to help in the application and let them get on with it.

How many products are we expected to be an expert in?
    Last edited by vikpaw; 15th December 2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: LANGUAGE!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kili View Post
    I gave up on expecting someone with a degree to be able to login to a helpdesk and place a call, all the lazy bastards have to do now is send an email to helpdesk@maildomainname and they still send students to the door. I send them back with ask your teacher to place a support request.

As for FAQ's I don't want to be any more negative than I have been but frankly they cant be bothered to read them and place a support request asking " How do I do this in word" I used to point them to our FAQ but there so thick/lazy they wont even help themselves.

so now I just tell them to go to help in the application and let them get on with it.

LOL my network manager wants me to include this in our newsletter!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Akumos View Post
    LOL my network manager wants me to include this in our newsletter!
    I'll happily give up the copyright, it's all yours

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Akumos View Post
    Erm... When you set up the LDAP connections it emails everyone with details on how to log in. It tells them their password is 'LDAP Password'. Alot of users thought LDAP Password was their actual password!
    Ye-es, I know that. I took the password requirement off in case it was too much for their little intellec........sorry......fingers to type, trying to make it as e-a-s-y as possible. Then i realised that it's not anything to do with that at all.....it's all to do with 'Can't do, won't do'.

Thank Post
    I gave up on expecting someone with a degree to be able to login to a helpdesk and place a call, all the lazy have to do now is send an email to helpdesk@maildomainname and they still send students to the door. I send them back with ask your teacher to place a support request.

Hey......are you sure we're not working at the same place?
    Last edited by vikpaw; 15th December 2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Quoted LANGUAGE!!

Thank Post
    No we just work with the same type of people. Went to school, went to uni, went back to school never had to work in the private sector so have no idea what it's like in the real world so they don't worry about little things like making an effort ,

Hope my daughters not reading this she's a teacher lol...
    Last edited by kili; 17th November 2010 at 04:38 PM.

Thank Post

this made me laugh today (thankyou)
    Last edited by vikpaw; 15th December 2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Quoted LANGUAGE!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12