+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Limiting DHCP Access in Technical; Hi all Quick question - i know its possible to do this but need to work out how exactly to ...

Thank Post

Limiting DHCP Access

Hi all

Quick question - i know its possible to do this but need to work out how exactly to do it!

We currently have our DHCP server setup to allow access for any device plugged into our network.

What i want is for devices only with reservations to gain an IP. How do i go about this?

Thanks

Thank Post
    2008r2 dhcp?

3. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

mcnallyfc (18th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    With the mac address callout filter installed on a 2003 DHCP server or with a 2008 R2 DHCP server as that has the callout dll functionality built into it.

This enable you to either deny dhcp leases based on a devices mac address or to allow on those with a mac address which matches the internal list to obtain a dhcp lease.

Ben

5. Thanks to plexer from:

mcnallyfc (18th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks both but got my answer

Was Server 2003 SP2, Just need to create new exclusion range for that scope covering all IPs and then only reservations will get IP then

Thank Post
    .....until they read the mac address label on the underside/back of a random machine, turn said machine off and spoof the mac. It's trivial enough to grab a list of mac addresses off the wire without needing a valid IP.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    .....until they read the mac address label on the underside/back of a random machine, turn said machine off and spoof the mac. It's trivial enough to grab a list of mac addresses off the wire without needing a valid IP.
    Yep or they dig a hole in street and tap into the fibre link and get everyones passwords and then logon as admin and ruin the network........

Thank Post
    the mac filter lock out tool for server 2003 works well and is a great thing to have if the school has a large number of pupils with Ipods/Iphones/Ipad's etc

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnallyfc View Post
    Yep or they dig a hole in street and tap into the fibre link and get everyones passwords and then logon as admin and ruin the network........

Slightly easier to read the mac address from a printer or other device, why does your fibre run under the road our is in the fabric of the building.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Slightly easier to read the mac address from a printer or other device, why does your fibre run under the road our is in the fabric of the building.

Ben
    Sorry missed my point there, or did you, i dont know. Who cares - its answered.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wink

our is in the fabric of the building.
    I'd heard that funds to school builds had been cut but I never imagined you'd end up with tents

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnallyfc View Post
    Sorry missed my point there, or did you, i dont know. Who cares - its answered.

Thanks
    If all of your pc's use static ip addresses either you don't have very many or you like a lot of extra work?

I don't really know what your point was because your example of someone digging a hole in the street is a lot more far fetched than someone reading the mac address of an existing device and impersonating it.

Plus I wouldn't dig up the road anyway I'd find a piece of your fibre with easier access and using a micro bend would tap it that way.

Ta.

Ben

Thank Post
    If all of your pc's use static ip addresses either you don't have very many or you like a lot of extra work?

I don't really know what your point was because your example of someone digging a hole in the street is a lot more far fetched than someone reading the mac address of an existing device and impersonating it.

Plus I wouldn't dig up the road anyway I'd find a piece of your fibre with easier access and using a micro bend would tap it that way.

Ta.

Ben
    It was a joke - i really wish i hadnt bothered now. I'd answered my own query and was simply making a humourous (clearly bombed) point in reply to Pete's post that there is always an element of risk in most of what we do. I wasnt asking for a debate on what im doing just how to do it. That is all.

You have gone off on a tangent here, i cant tell if your joking about the micro bend or actually being serious so i'll bow out.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread