+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Mandatory profile gets deleted along with the user account in Technical; Please help!!! This may be a very easy problem to solve, but have tried everything and we are running out ...

Thank Post

Mandatory profile gets deleted along with the user account

Please help!!!

This may be a very easy problem to solve, but have tried everything and we are running out of ideas.

We have recently moved over from roaming profiles to mandatory profiles, to reduce logon times, which all works fine. The only problem is that we use Ranger; and so when we delete a user through Ranger, it also removes the mandatory profile specified in the profile path. This is quite a nightmare, as you could imagine, considering that one profile is used by a whole year group.

When deleting the user, we can remove the profile path first, which then does not remove the profile, but as you can see, this is not very practical. Also, when creating a new user through Ranger, it adds permissions to the mandatory profile for that user, unless we dont put a profile path in on the account creation, again, not very practical.

Any ideas on this matter would be very gratefully received

Thank you

Thank Post

Re: Mandatory profile gets deleted along with the user account

First of all, I would report it to Ranger themselves. There may be another workaround for this 'feature'.

Presumably you could 'bulk remove' the user profile settings using AD Users & Computers (select multiple accounts, right click, properties, change profile path to anything you like), and then use Ranger to delete the users.

Thank Post

Re: Mandatory profile gets deleted along with the user accou

Just spotted this post. I also had the same problem when I moved to mandatory profiles with ranger last year.

Ranger are aware of this problem with their current product, it was never designed to work with mandatory profiles apparently. They were very surprised when I mentioned I had it working with mandatory profiles on our network!

The simple answer is not to use ranger to delete the user accounts, we delete all accounts using active directory. Takes a bit longer to do thou as you have to delete the homfolder manually. You can also protect the mandatory profile so ranger can't delete it, it will give you a nice error and crash if you try, but no harm will be done.

As for it adding permissions to the profile folder, this is something else we noticed. We worked around this by changing the sharing permissions on the folder so students had read only access, so no matter what ranger adds to the security permissions it made no difference, the kids still can't do any harm to it. Periodically I manually remove the added SIDs from the folder to keep it tidy.

Mike

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread