+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Network Monitoring in Technical; Hi everyone We are considering dropping Ranger and going back to vanilla Serv 2003 for managing our network. We will ...

Thank Post

Network Monitoring

Hi everyone

We are considering dropping Ranger and going back to vanilla Serv 2003
    for managing our network. We will move all security settings from Ranger to
    GPO anyway but there is LAN Ranger which is not that simple to replace with pure Windows (or I simply can not see how to do it.. yet ).

We found LAN Ranger very useful for tracking pupils and for checking logs like
    "Can you please tell me who used computer number XX at this time and what time did he/she log off?"

There is many other functions in LAN Ranger but most of them could be done
    with LanView 3 which I am currently testing. Things like turing on / off workstations, scheduled tasks etc.

The thing I am missing:
    1) View list of applications running on a remote computer (and shut down specific one for ex.)
    2) Possibility to pull logs for specified user at certain date/time, I could not find any logs from LV3 at all (I would imagine they are in app folder but again I might be wrong)
    3) Run specified command / task "triggered" by a network event (ex. run command.bat when user XXX logs in)

Is there any way to setup / add this features to LanView or use some other tool/s (Windows itself preferably) to do this?

metalmonkey

Re: Network Monitoring

Hi

LanView3 doesn't log any activity unfortunately. I didn't include this as it would need some fairly bulky database links (sql or the like) and this would definately result in negative network performance which is something i've worked hard to avoid. I could consider the 'local cache' of logs, but this'll be going back to the old RM auditor ways and this is, i believe, out of the scope of LV3 - although I appreciate how useful this would be.

Listing and closing individual apps on stations is due to be implimented, in fact, the code already exists, it's just not finished or tested. I can't give an eta on this unfortunately.

Executing commands on being triggered is an interesting idea and one I will look into for future lanview3 releases, but this won't happen in the short term.

With that in mind, another solution might be better suited.

Regards

Kevin Figg
    MST Software

Thank Post

Re: Network Monitoring

Thank you for replay.

Btw. I didn't suspect I will be talking with "the codemaster" himself

I am really impressed by LanView and it's capabilities, especially considering
    it's size an performance impact.

Great application!
    Looking forward to future releases.

btw2. On the official LV3 forum I have found a topic about AD intergeneration where one of members mention a script which gets all OUs and COMPUTERs accounts from AD and export into LV3 "understandable" format.

Is there any way of getting this script?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread