+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Papercut old version -- How to stop it closing in Technical; Hi Guys I've tried searching but have found nothing, I have papercut version 7.5, I need suggestions on how to ...

Thank Post

Papercut old version -- How to stop it closing

Hi Guys

I've tried searching but have found nothing, I have papercut version 7.5, I need suggestions on how to stop students closing the client.
    Thanks
    Jose

Thank Post
    I don't understand - you shouldn't be able to kill or close the client at all? Whilst you can minimize it to the tray, the only way to actually close it here is by terminating the process via an admin account (unless there is a config option). Are you making sure it is actually starting or that it isn't crashing (like our's does often)?

Thank Post
    Look in the file config.properties. Make sure the line that says noquit reads "noquit=Y" and is uncommented, this will stop the client being exited by students.

Mike.

Thank Post
    you probably have a later version, we have 7.5. most versions after 8 have a noquit=y option to put in the config.properities file.
    we have a old version but this is the only problem we have with it,

Thank Post
    True, we have version 10.5 which is the latest version as we pay annual maintenance on it to allow us to keep it up-to-date.

I'm not sure on the older version as every version I've used has this option. Version 7.5 must be pretty old.

Mike.

Thank Post
    We had version 7.5 up to 2 months ago, which we had ran for 3 years. Even on the older version for us, students where never able to kill the client. Have you tried emailing papercut support, as they are very good at helping you sort issues. I have emailed them many a time and been pleased with their commitment to help!

Thank Post
    Unless theres a bigger issue with users having more rights than they should have?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    We had version 7.5 up to 2 months ago, which we had ran for 3 years. Even on the older version for us, students where never able to kill the client. Have you tried emailing papercut support, as they are very good at helping you sort issues. I have emailed them many a time and been pleased with their commitment to help!
    I'm one of the developers at PaperCut. Yes. Please always do feel free to email us. Or if you can fit your request into 140 characters, tweet us :-)

I've had a look at our svn commit logs and the "noquit" option was added in in version 8.3 back in 2008. For version's prior to this will only block users form quiting the client if the account selection popup is enabled (e.g. the client is "required" for printing).

My recommendation would be to upgrade to version 10 (PaperCut NG Download). Version 7 is a little long in the tooth and has been EOL'ed.

A quick way to enable the noquit option is to start the client out of your login script with the command-line option "--noquit". Full details of the client control options can be found here.

Cheers
    Chris
    chris <a.t> papercut.com
    Developer @ PaperCut

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread