+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, RM Classmate in Technical; I hope someone can help me make sense of what's going on here! I'm providing support to a primary school ...

Thank Post

RM Classmate

I hope someone can help me make sense of what's going on here!

I'm providing support to a primary school who have bought a trolley full of RM laptops and an RM StoreBox (a windows 2000 server machine, controlling it's own domain). From what I understand, the StoreBox is a fileserver, using something called RM SchoolShare on the laptops to save their work.

The laptops also run something called ClassMate 5, which I think allows them to share work with each other in a P2P type of setup. To get the ClassMate software working though, one of the laptops needs to be promoted as a sort of master node.

Does anyone have any experience with this whole setup? I've been asked to get it running, but it's the first time I've ever played with it. I'm tempted to just convince the school to use them the old fashioned way and just use network shares...

Thank Post

Re: RM Classmate

Hi,
    The following may prove helpful, but please forgive the random order as I remember things.
    The Storebox is a fileserver and you should think of it as only that - forget about the domain. You might want to create a permanent user on it for later administration usage, but leave that for now.
    Classmate is a front end security product that provides three types of user - a manager (you), a teacher, and a pupil.
    Additionally it provides a set of 'classes,' that can be edited, deleted, added to as you require, which glue the system together.
    When you add a Storebox to the set up the class files are stored on the Storebox, which acts as a fileserver and additional shared drives are made available.
    An example.
    A child logs into a computer in their classroom and chooses their class. The My Documents folder (in RM world, this is known as N:\MyWork), which is shared by all users of that class, exists on the Storebox. This folder is available to the pupils wherever they logon, providing they choose the same class each time.
    The Teacher user sees the childrens work, shares a drive (RMStaff) with other Teachers and can see the shared documents (MySchool) folder.
    Typically, when first set up the teacher would have their children create a folder using their name which could then follow them through school.
    The pupils also have access to the shared documents which, IIRC is writeable. Don't quote me on that, its easy enough to figure out.
    Within their documents folder (and probably the shared drive) is a folder called Handout - this is read only for Pupil users but writeable for Teacher users.
    The master you refer to is known as the Schoolshare master and its function is as follows:
    it dishes out an IP configuration to the other Classmate computers, that is it acts as a DHCP server for your network of Classmate (and other) machines - the Schoolshare network;
    it configures Internet Explorer on each of the clients with a proxy server address should you require one.
    If your network already has a DHCP server, then the Schoolshare master setup program will detect this, IIRC, and not be configured. If this isn't the case, it can be switched off manually.
    The process of setting them up is roughly as follows:
    Connect everything up to the network.
    Switch on the Storebox and then one of the laptops and login into the laptop as manager.
    This will be the master - this machine should ideally be left switched on, but in your case where you have laptops, should be the first to be switched on each day.
    Run the setup program - I forget its name, its on the start menu and should be obvious. If it isn't, refer to the documentation.
    This will do all sorts of stuff - asking for various details such as IP address ranges, proxy server address as mentioned above. Eventually you will need to reboot the machine. When it comes back up you will see that it has been renamed to, rather awkwardly, SSMASTER. Eek.
    Now visit each laptop in turn - I forget if you need to do this at the SSMASTER (eek), check the documentation - start them up, login as Manager, run Classmate Manager and click on the Locate Storebox link. This will trigger a series of installations and end with a reboot request.
    When completed you can begin to set up your classes...
    Please feel free to ask for further assistance. Refer to the documentation and RMs support site (www.rm.com/support) for further documentation and troubleshooting advice/guides.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,706 Times in 1,519 Posts

I'd get myself a gun if I had one of those to setup everyday.

Ben

Thank Post

Fortunately, once set up there isn't much work left to do beyond the usual tasks one would expect to have to carry out with any curriculum network.

Thank Post

I don't understand the thinking behind this. If the Storebox is pretty much functional domain controller, why need the Master at all to hand out DHCP and proxy settings? The issue with the laptops is that the master isn't going to be left on the whole time, and I can see myself getting phonecalls when the setup doesn't work.

Can't I rig something to force the storebox to act as Master?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information