+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Remove CC3 without rebuild in Technical; Was wondering whether anyone had successfully removed/uninstalled CC3 without having to rebuild the domain/servers?...
    Thank Post

Remove CC3 without rebuild

Was wondering whether anyone had successfully removed/uninstalled CC3 without having to rebuild the domain/servers?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Remove CC3 without rebuild

hmmm in theroy could be done but as lots of different parts to it in long run you will save yourself time if did rebuild as you are likely to have problems with bits you forgot or didn't know where there that you hadn't removed.

Russ

Thank Post

You got two hopes and one of them is bob.

CC3 alters the AD schema. In all cases where we have 'retired' a CC3 network by removing the RM bits from AD it has been an excruciatingly painful process.

The most successful way is to implement a parallel AD and use the ADMT migration tool to migrate the user accounts and syncronise the passwords.

We've handled dozens of migrations in this way and the end result is worth the effort.

Thank Post

Thanks for the replies.

CC3 alters the AD schema. In all cases where we have 'retired' a CC3 network by removing the RM bits from AD it has been an excruciatingly painful process.
    Indeed it does, but specifically what modifications do they make? Is it just additions for package, drive and printer mapping delivery? Or alterations to parts of the schema actively used by Windows/AD? What I'm trying to ask is: do their schema modifications need to be removed, or can they simply be left dormant?

Could you cite some examples of why removal as opposed to migration is so excruciatingly painful?

cheers

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by meastaugh1
    Thanks for the replies.

Indeed it does, but specifically what modifications do they make? Is it just additions for package, drive and printer mapping delivery? Or alterations to parts of the schema actively used by Windows/AD? What I'm trying to ask is: do their schema modifications need to be removed, or can they simply be left dormant?

Could you cite some examples of why removal as opposed to migration is so excruciatingly painful?

cheers
    Removing the RM bits does leave them dormant - you are quite right.
    To give you specifics I would have to delve into some of our schools networks to refresh the little grey cells, but from memory there was problems with the tied in to quotas, some of the group policy entries needed some tweeking and some of the packages broke when trying to roll out through group policy.

In short - you are trying to unscramble an egg - there will always be something left over to bite you.

We also found performance issues that should not have existed. By rolling out a clean AD infrastructure none of that is a problem and you can move across in a planned manner.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Why would you want to remove CC3 anyway?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by adent
    Removing the RM bits does leave them dormant - you are quite right.
    To give you specifics I would have to delve into some of our schools networks to refresh the little grey cells, but from memory there was problems with the tied in to quotas, some of the group policy entries needed some tweeking and some of the packages broke when trying to roll out through group policy.
    I'd certainly be interested to hear more about the issues you had with quotas and GPOs you've experienced. I'm a little surprised about disk quotas because I was under the impression that the back end was all native Windows behaviour (apart from Status reporter). I completely anticipate a retest of all applications (deployment and experience).

In short - you are trying to unscramble an egg - there will always be something left over to bite you.
    I appreciate what you're saying, but I'd rather not induce the major impact involved with a migration for what is essentially a cost-reduction exercise.

We also found performance issues that should not have existed. By rolling out a clean AD infrastructure none of that is a problem and you can move across in a planned manner.
    Any ideas why such performance issues were experienced? Did the sites already have performance issues?

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Why would you want to remove CC3 anyway?
    To pass those slow days

The cost more than anything. There's no performance issue, but I just feel that we would save so much in the long term.

It's something I'll be seriously reviewing over the next year or two (I hope) to coincide with the necessity to replace server hardware and the release of C4. Of course it's not something I'd do on a whim, I don't have any intention on rebuilding what is for the most part a working system for the hell of it, but if it's in the best interest of the school...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts

meastaugh1:
    These costs you mention regarding the upgrade to CC4, this will only effect your servers and as you already have the licenses for CC3 these will just be an upgrade which will be peanuts. If you were to go for vanilla you would still have to upgrade your servers at a similar cost and then buy the upgrade licences for the clients. Either way it will cost the school. Are you looking at deploying Vista?

"If it ain't broke then don't fix it" springs to mind here. I still run CC3 on w2k servers and it is great to be able to manage things without having to write scripts to run at login and log off time. Have much better things to do with my time like saving the school money doing other projects.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread