+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Akhter Suite anyone? in Technical; Has anyone heard anything about or got experience of this NMS? http://www.akhtersuite.co.uk/ Thanks Phan...

Thank Post

Akhter Suite anyone?

Has anyone heard anything about or got experience of this NMS?

http://www.akhtersuite.co.uk/

Thanks
    Phan

Thank Post

Re: Akhter Suite anyone?

Hi Phan,

We had AkhterSuite for three years before I started and it is awful. On the admin side the software is buggy and in some places even incomplete. On the user side AkhterSuite puts huge sets of login scripts and policies into play at login slowing even the fastest parts of the network to a halt.

Also had trouble with the service and support. We had 3 Akhter maintained servers, on one occasion in particular the 'senior engineer' came to install some updates and add a hard disk to the raid array. What he actually did was install the wrong update which caused many problems - including users not being able to logon... and while this was happening he attempted to insert a HDD - what he actually did was pull out the one remaining working HDD, corrupting it.

My predecessor also purchased many desktop machines from Akhter - about 30 now have had PSUs blown and have had to be retrurned, all because they had been incorrectly specc'd.

All in all it was not a great expereince - but it may jus be with us.. if you would like further details of problems, feel free to PM me and I will pass on my phone number!

Tom

Thank Post

Re: Akhter Suite anyone?

My fourpenneth

Why on earth use third party management tools when the base operating system has the same functionality?

By using tools such as Remote Installation Server and Group Policy, you can manage the network just as well, and it means you can pick and choose your classroom management and printer accounting software, rather than being stuck with the Network Management Software 'tick in the box' stuff.

There is a wealth of materials and support forums on how to manage a vanilla network and you've already paid for the licenses!

IMHO - Third party network management solutions get in the way. Especially when it comes to software updates and version upgrades.

Stick to a vanilla site and get training - not only is it cheaper, but far more effective in the long run.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread