+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Pcounter and alternatives in Technical; Pcounter has that option now - The teacher releases documents for users, accounting is based on a per user basis ...

Thank Post
    Pcounter has that option now - The teacher releases documents for users, accounting is based on a per user basis (charged staff member or original student - your choice!) but their jobs are linked to that the code selected by the staff member. When the reports are run per charge code/department, it will breakdown the students and staff usage.
    The API route is worth checking, but what happens if a classroom moves, or a class suddenly changes? Linking to the student systems may help, but the override is very much necessary.

P.S. The teacher release option is web based using IIS, simple to use and free with the base product! There's a guide for both staff and it's configuration if needed.

Out of interest how does Papercut handle mixed B/W and colour jobs?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David_PCN View Post
    Pcounter has that option now - The teacher releases documents for users, accounting is based on a per user basis (charged staff member or original student - your choice!) but their jobs are linked to that the code selected by the staff member. When the reports are run per charge code/department, it will breakdown the students and staff usage.
    We don't want the teacher to release jobs for students, they are there to teach not to release print jobs. In our proposal the teacher sets the printer to override the "person to charge" with a "shared account". Therefore one interaction at the start of the lesson lets the teacher choose who to charge and all jobs released after that get charged to the shared account...
    ... until we run a scheduled task that happens at the end of each lesson to reset the printer back to charge personal accounts.
    ... or the teacher uses an icon on the desktop to reset the printer.

The API route is worth checking, but what happens if a classroom moves, or a class suddenly changes? Linking to the student systems may help, but the override is very much necessary.
    Classroom moves? Teacher resets the account to charge.

P.S. The teacher release option is web based using IIS, simple to use and free with the base product! There's a guide for both staff and it's configuration if needed.
    ditto papercut (except its not tied to IIS), but it also has an local software application option as well.

Out of interest how does Papercut handle mixed B/W and colour jobs?
    It has an option to do page by page detection. I've not tried it yet.

Thank Post
    First things first is putting the right printers in place for the right jobs. so many times do i see people trying to control costs, by monitoring or controling printing. While at the same time they are running printers which are typically expensive to run. How many times have i heard i got the 10 printers at a bargain price or these printers were donated to us. always look at your cost per print on each cartridge you will be using that way cost cutting becomes much easier without any costly software to help monitor and control. Another thing to consider is looking at software out there that can automate supply removing the cost of a manual ordering process. government guidelines show that it costs approx 41 to place an order, automated supply can remove this cost.

sorry to ramble on but i hope i have helped slightly

Thank Post
    I have to disagree with you there. You monitor first so that you know how may prints you're doing. Then you can look to consolidate/rearrange/make people aware of the costs. Then knowing how many prints you do and what type you can choose the appropriate printers.
    Better to spend 1000 on print management software than 10k on printers with a low cost per page only to find you can't get a return on the hardware.

Find out what your printing requirements before you buy your printer.

Of course you don't need print monitor software you can just count toner and paper bills for this information...

Thank Post
    I agree Cjohnson what i am trying to point out here is costly software is not the first step.
    You need to understand where your costs are prior to this.
    I also do not agree with replacing printers if there are already cost effective printers within the building, simply divert prints to these more cost effective machines, switching heavily used printers with low used printers can help prolong printer life, and remove the need for capital expenditure. As well as reducing consumable spend.
    As Cjohnson says config pages can supply you with all of this information, if you have too many printers to walk around, there is a number of suppliers offering free audits.
    if anyone would like more information on these free audits then feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by PrintManager; 20th August 2010 at 09:50 AM.

Thank Post
    Software doesn't need to be costly for permanent usage for job redirection and department accounting...
    Use the trials to count jobs - Pcounter has a 60 day trial.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If that is the case wouldn't it be easier to go down a Managed Print Service instead? Our annual consumables budget was starting to get out of hand so we called in a few companies which would supply printers, toners, engineer time, parts et cetera, two of the companies actually came in cheaper than our current spend on consumables and we got new printers and never have to worry about the cost of parts and toners for the three years we've signed up for. I think I saved a few thousand a year in the end and this will go down as we start to put some more controls on the pupils using PaperCut NG (We've got version 10 running now) some of the scripting we can use in version 10 is very impressive. We used to use PMP6 but we had a few problems with it and decided that PaperCut was better value for what we wished to accomplish.

Wes

Thank Post
    Managed services often use management software at same time for accounting and redirection - but it is hidden within the costs.

Thank Post
    Have you had a look at Impero? We currently use it as our lab management tool, but it also has print quota and print logging functionality.

Dave.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12