+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Which Network Management Software to go for...? in Technical; Hi, Glad to hear phantomphan has chosen his solution for his school. I now have until the beginning of september ...

Thank Post

Re: Which Network Management Software to go for...?

Hi,

Glad to hear phantomphan has chosen his solution for his school. I now have until the beginning of september (building project got delayed!!!)

I have been around so many schools (doing some research in Kent) and the impression I am getting is that some say it works well and some say it does not.

I am also looking into doing a vanilla build. What do I need to know about, to be able to setup my own network. I know about Active Directory (basics), DNS Server etc, but not about RIS & deploying of GPO's and packages.

I setup a 2k network 4 years ago with basic user management (create users in AC), but no deployment or GPO's, but feel as the school gets bigger, I need a more secure central managed system. At the moment I have to go around each workstation to install new software!!!

I am going to setup a test server (Win 2003 R2) this weekend, but would like some advise on the stages I need to take. I still like the idea of developing my own system, even though I have gained a quote from RM etc.

Do you guys think a vanilla build is better than a RM system? Also any comments on the process I need to make to setup my server would be great

Thanks

Robert

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ahh now this will open up a can of worms you'll get my type who think Vanilla is the way to go and the Russdev posse who believe RM is. that is however personal preference.

i've removed RM in the last two schools I've worked for, This was their choice they hired me for that very purpose. 2.4 was a pain but cc3 isn't most of the time. Certain security problems i.e. locking down stations too much is annoying and in some cases MSIs on't work in CC3 there are ways round this. You could install CC3 on the servers but not the machines and create your own GPOs.

If you are set on vanillla though then a few words of caution. Firstly plan the entire system out first. Second get the system up and running and test it properly (preferably on a seperate/isolated network).

I used LNM Microsofts learning network management which uses web interfaces for a few of the Active Directory options and expands some functionality such as bulk creation of users et cetera. With Winodws 2k3 R2 you can set quotas for space but print quotas need something like Print manager Plus or PCredit. These aren't always accurate though as in some cases printing multiple copies of a document it doesn't count the pages for each copy.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Using LNM to setup your network really speeds up the process it also installs RIS so everything tends to be there MS don't support it though. However to be honest you'd use the normal tools and not LNM if it really started to behave badly. I've never experienced any problems after I finally read the installation instructions lol. Reverse DNS settings needed to be configured I think that was the only thing missing really but that doesn't take very long. If you need any help Edugeek is certainly the place to find it. PM me if you have any trouble with the setup but I'd certainly give LNM a go if you are just creating a practise server and you have some time.

Wes

Thank Post

Hi,

Many thanks for the comments,

Where can I source the LNM?

Regards

Robert

Thank Post

Here.

Thank Post

Thanks

Downloading now.

So the LNM helps you in setting up a complete netowkrk for 'educational use'?

How many people have used this and found it very successfull?

Regards

Robert

P.S - Well worth playing around with though, even if it not what I am looking for

Thank Post

I haven't played with it, just seen it at a demo, but it sounds as though it would be useful for a school that's setting up AD for the first time, which I guess is most likely to be primary schools. If you haven't already done so, I suggest you have a look at the LNM forum, this thread might be useful.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

I was one of those that originally played with it and I put it to one side due to a few small issues.

There is a lack of documentation that means you have to makes some jumps in the dark. This is nothing new to most of us which is why I would say you should try it in a test network first.

Secondly, there are a few interesting feautures due to country settings. It did not like going for UK settings from scratch. If you set it up with En-US nd then add and change to En-UK then it is happier ... this is apparently happy now in the latest version.

Finally ... I still wanted to add my own settings to some things ... put the OUs into my own structure ...

For someone used to setting up domains on a regular basis it can save you considerable time, and the web interface tools it gives can make life easier for administration, but these are all tools that can be developed ayway ... in fact it has been built using the exact same methods that most admins would use to create their own tools.

Another benefit is that if you also look after more than one school it can help to set a standard across schools, making it easier for you and a few others to look after them.

The latest builds are hosted on codeplex ... register and add it as a project to your list.

Thank Post

Cheers for the Codeplex link -Just registered and joining the project

Thank Post

Hi There

I am currently at an LA in the South and the provider for the remote backup service for schools solution has just launched a new product called centrastage. Although we are not running it at present, my colleagues in the south west are raving about it. I haven't experienced it yet for myself so I can only relay what my friend has said, however it appears that the software has been written specifically for authorities and schools - which is nice to know.

So far the support has been excellent, and they are piloting it now. Lets you do all sorts of things like role out software at the same time to loads of machines where ever they are, (or you are), get reports back on what's happening at schools (networks), get stats and monitoring facilities, remove software and reinstall new - like removing expensive anti virus and replacing it with AVG free in one go etc. but not needing to visit each school. It looks like Capita are endorsing it for this SIMS upgrade as no one told us how long it's going to take per school - and we still can't get a definitive answer!! We're waiting to see how it goes before taking the plunge but so far it looks to be a fab piece of technology. Sorry, I don't know anymore details or the website.

Marge. (Southampton)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by margesimpson
    Hi There

I am currently at an LA in the South and the provider for the remote backup service for schools solution has just launched a new product called centrastage. Although we are not running it at present, my colleagues in the south west are raving about it. I haven't experienced it yet for myself so I can only relay what my friend has said, however it appears that the software has been written specifically for authorities and schools - which is nice to know.

So far the support has been excellent, and they are piloting it now. Lets you do all sorts of things like role out software at the same time to loads of machines where ever they are, (or you are), get reports back on what's happening at schools (networks), get stats and monitoring facilities, remove software and reinstall new - like removing expensive anti virus and replacing it with AVG free in one go etc. but not needing to visit each school. It looks like Capita are endorsing it for this SIMS upgrade as no one told us how long it's going to take per school - and we still can't get a definitive answer!! We're waiting to see how it goes before taking the plunge but so far it looks to be a fab piece of technology. Sorry, I don't know anymore details or the website.

Marge. (Southampton)
    Could you tell us which LEA your colleagues in the south work for please?

On a side note, AVG Free should not be used in schools

1. Providing the License
    The GRISOFT Company through this License Agreement grants to you non-exclusive and non-transferable rights thereunder in respect of using a copy of the computer program for a service life thereof, i.e. for a time period throughout which GRISOFT shall maintain and make available an updated version thereof. You may install (download) and use only one copy of the program designated for protection of exclusively one personal computer, notwithstanding as to how many times you download the program and how many times you accept the License Agreement. You must not use the program in a network or on more than one computer. This particular software version is distributed free of charge, therefore, the applicable license is only granted for home use thereof. In case of this free version, the program is not subject to any guarantees, and the user has no right to any technical support whatsoever.

Thank Post

Advert removed

ChrisH

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345