+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Which Network Management Software to go for...? in Technical; RM is fantastic in theory, and when it works it can take away all the headaches that oyu get day ...
    Thank Post

Re: Which Network Management Software to go for...?

RM is fantastic in theory, and when it works it can take away all the headaches that oyu get day to day.

The problem is, in my experience, it often does not work. Traditionally there is a lot of software and hardware that does not work on RM. If oyu look at a lot of education software installation instructions there is a specific chapter for installing on RM and it is often much more long winded.

We had work stations fall over mid rebuild, we could only use the anti virus software RM stated, you cannot do Windows updates until RM have taken them, repackaged them and distributed them (which can take weeks).

The RM One machines are very nice and quite a tempting purchase. But speak to an RM engineer about them - just somthing simple like swapping a standard component inside can take a couple of hours because you have to completely strip the machine down and take out half the internal components to get to the one you want.

In both the schools we took the software out of it was because there was more downtime than uptime. The school that currently still has RM installed has got fifteen laptops that it cannot use because we cannot get them connected to the network properly. They even flew a senior account manager down from Scotland for two days and he did not even have time to look at them because of all the other problems he ended up having to fix. And two days after he left they were busted again.

Ironically they blame all the problems on the fact that the system has not been poperly maintained by the technical staff (this was provided by another school FOC before they started paying us to help them). So perhaps it is not as self managing as they suggest.

If I were you then I would go with something like Ranger that is much less intrusive. Ranger sites on top of the client but is put on afterwards rather than being an integral part of the build. This way you can build the workstation exactly how you want and then put it on the top to keep it tight.

Anyone who knows me of old from other forums will know that for me to be suggesting Ranger as an alternative then RM must be pretty rough!!!!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    NetSupport Manager for me. It does everytrhing I could want nad more +you get NetSupport School (for teachers to manage classes) included for free. Go to their site and get a free trial version. Its by far the industry benchmark for such systems.
    Now I'm probably being very dense here but does NetSupport do:

User account creation including email accounts, home drives etc?
    Disk quotas?
    Print quotas?
    Automated Windoews build deployment?
    Application Software packing and deployment?
    Centralised lock down setting?
    Centralised logging of logons and activity?

From all accounts NSM/NSS does remote session control very well but what about all the other network admin stuff.

Would you let a newby tech (or even a teacher) use it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Does NSM also do remote management via HTTPS and provide a remote access for users?

Thank Post

Hey Webman CC3 must be good if it can allow you to have the time to achieve 5th highest number of posts on EduGeek..

But then again, Geoff, who has the highest post rate, manages vanilla Windows and Linux (just for kicks) at more than one school!

Ditto Ric who manages fat and thin client Windows (and Mac?) as a one man band and still has time to be a high posting EduGeek admin.

Either the site's stats module is on the blink or some guys here don't have a social diary which runs to more than "Go to shops. Buy milk"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

My secret? I programmed a robot to post for me That and I don't have my own family to be accountable to, so I don't get told off for spending inordinate amounts of time infront of a computer

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    My secret? I programmed a robot to post for me That and I don't have my own family to be accountable to, so I don't get told off for spending inordinate amounts of time infront of a computer
    I hope you have a decent monitor Craig IE a nice none-radiation giving out TFT rather than a CRT like I had at my last place, otherswise excessive PC usage may take its toll on ur "whistle" and there will be no baby webman

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well, I do look at the screen with my eyes so hopefully that wouldn't be an issue if it was a CRT But yes it's a nice LG 19" TFT at home and 17" at work so I can stare at them all day

Just as well really :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,692 Posts

Hi phantomphan
    I am going through exactly the same process as you (and recently asked exactly the same question.)
    I am also a tech in a 'lower' school (first school in my case), also not too confident of running a vanilla system by myself
    Do remember that you can buy the equipment from someone else and still buy a network management system from RM or whoever - you don't have to buy their equipment if it is really pricey.
    Currently we are veering towards RM as their quote was quite competitive (apparently they are trying to raise their profile in the South West) and I have discussed it with one of the local big comprehensives who are very happy and can offer me assistance should I need it.

Thank Post

Vanilla Windows all the way, we don't need no new fangled bolt on.

I am with Geoff on this one.....well except the Linux part hehe.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 1,455 Posts

I'm the opposite nice 19" at work and 17" at home allthough I bought the home one several years ago and now have a nice 19" acer at work.

Just checked and appears I'm 10th higest poster

Ben

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by bossman
    Across the road from me there is a Catholic school who have to date had four systems put in place including vanilla 23k and they are now looking to put an RM solution in place. As a measure of the RM system just have a browse through this forum and see how many problems are RM related i think you will find vanilla 2k3 problems awash.
    Unfair comment really, RM CC3 is managed and simplified, sounds to me like the problem is not a Vanilla 2k3 problem but an experience problem od the administrator, thing is how is anyone able to get experience if they do not run vanilla systems, at some point they may want to move into industry they will be woefully inequiped. IMO.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by bossman
    As a measure of the RM system just have a browse through this forum and see how many problems are RM related i think you will find vanilla 2k3 problems awash. This could be because there are more vanilla systems than RM but you get my point.

http://communities.rm.com/content/vi...?cref=GP379836

Cough, Cough, Cough, Cough. and even more Cough's

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts

I have all the experience of a vanilla system as i dig underneath the RM interface layer when the occasion arises and well quite frankly i have the best of both worlds without having to worry about scripting all the time. I am not pro any Platform or management system what i am is happy with what i have and i am just giving people the benifit of my experience not crowing about this and that.

As for the school across the road the NM had no say whatsoever in the implementation of his network it was down to his ICT co-ordinator who has since moved on to bugger up bigger things.

Disease: as for your comment of getting experience of a vanilla system when running RMCC3 well as a gentleman in this thread has quoted all managed systems are basically Vanilla with an interface top layer added to make tasks managable.

Quackers nice link here is one for you: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Netw...osoft_Network/ with hopefully the solution to your problems. We could all do this "mine's bigger and better than yours" couldn't we but that misses the point really.
    We are here to offer advice to less experienced people who take us at our professional word.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Just to throw a different perspective on things -With Terminal Services, to do work on 20-30 workstations only requires it be done on one server. The citrix management console does some funky things in terms of application deployment, monitoring users, acls etc for all servers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,111 Posts
    Blog Entries

Let us not forget that we can also discuss whether to use Macs with MacAdministrator, via Workgroup Manager or via login hooks / user template configuration ...

And do people prefer to build linux boxes themselves or use Karoshi?

oooh ... and let us not forget vi and emacs ...

I think that all anyone can do is put forward why they use the system they do and take the opportunity to be interest in how others do it ... and then people can say "have you considered" instead of "what is the point ... you should do it like this!"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast