+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, iTalc - shared Master computer with multiple users in Technical; I'm using iTalc 1.0.9. Both client and master are Windows XP. I want any user who logs into this computer ...
    Thank Post

iTalc - shared Master computer with multiple users

I'm using iTalc 1.0.9. Both client and master are Windows XP.

I want any user who logs into this computer to have access to the classroom I've created. I don't want to have to set up the classroom for each user who will be using the master computer. I've found online that I need to edit the registry to change where iTalc looks for the globalconfig.xml file. However it said I needed to edit: hkey_local_machine>software>iTalc Solutions>iTalc>paths>{create string value here}. I have 2 problems with this. First, I don't have the 'paths' folder. I only have 'keypathsprivate', 'keypathspublic', and 'settings'. Second, I'm not sure what string value to create and how to properly edit it to point to my globalconfig.xml file. Also, can I put the file in like "C:\iTalc\globalconfig.xml", as long as all users have read access to this folder?

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
    I'm using iTalc 1.0.9. Both client and master are Windows XP.

I want any user who logs into this computer to have access to the classroom I've created. I don't want to have to set up the classroom for each user who will be using the master computer. I've found online that I need to edit the registry to change where iTalc looks for the globalconfig.xml file. However it said I needed to edit: hkey_local_machine>software>iTalc Solutions>iTalc>paths>{create string value here}. I have 2 problems with this. First, I don't have the 'paths' folder. I only have 'keypathsprivate', 'keypathspublic', and 'settings'. Second, I'm not sure what string value to create and how to properly edit it to point to my globalconfig.xml file. Also, can I put the file in like "C:\iTalc\globalconfig.xml", as long as all users have read access to this folder?

Can anyone offer any advice?
    In my iTalc installation (Roughly 400 PCs across 30 or so classrooms) I have the startmenu shortcut pointing to a batch file, which selects the correct room and copies the right config file into the users application data folder, then launches italc:

Code:
    @echo on
    echo %COMPUTERNAME%
    if not exist "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Italc\personalconfig.xml" COPY "\\server2\apps\italc\Config Files\PC\personalconfig.xml" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Italc\personalconfig.xml"
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,2%==F5 goto F5  
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,2%==F6 goto F6
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,2%==F7 goto F7
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,2%==B1 goto B1
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,2%==M5 goto M5
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,2%==C1 goto C1
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,2%==T1 goto T1
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,2%==T2 goto T2
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,6%==DT-MAC goto T3
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,2%==S1 goto Sci
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,2%==S2 goto Sci
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,2%==S3 goto Sci
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,2%==S4 goto Sci
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,2%==S5 goto Sci
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,2%==S6 goto Sci
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,2%==C5 goto Eng
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,2%==F1 goto F1
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,9%==TCH-LAP08 goto F1
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,3%==INC goto Inc
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,3%==LDC goto LDC
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,5%==STUDY goto Lib
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,5%==ICT-0 goto Admin
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,5%==ICT-T goto Admin
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,5%==ICT-M goto Admin
    if %COMPUTERNAME:~0,5%==SS-01 goto Admin
    echo msgbox"iTALC is not configured for this room">a.vbs&a.vbs&del a.vbs
    Goto End

:F5
    mkdir "C:\Documents and settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\Italc\"
    xcopy "\\server2\apps\italc\Config Files\F5\globalconfig.xml" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Italc\" /Y /C
    goto launch
    :F6
    xcopy "\\server2\apps\italc\Config Files\F6\globalconfig.xml" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Italc\" /Y /C
    goto launch
    :F7
    xcopy "\\server2\apps\italc\Config Files\F7\globalconfig.xml" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Italc\" /Y /C
    goto launch
    :B1
    xcopy "\\server2\apps\italc\Config Files\B1\globalconfig.xml" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Italc\" /Y /C
    goto launch
    :M5
    xcopy "\\server2\apps\italc\Config Files\M5\globalconfig.xml" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Italc\" /Y /C
    goto launch
    :C1
    xcopy "\\server2\apps\italc\Config Files\C1\globalconfig.xml" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Italc\" /Y /C
    goto launch
    :T1
    xcopy "\\server2\apps\italc\Config Files\T1\globalconfig.xml" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Italc\" /Y /C
    goto launch
    :T2
    xcopy "\\server2\apps\italc\Config Files\T2\globalconfig.xml" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Italc\" /Y /C
    goto launch
    :T3
    xcopy "\\server2\apps\italc\Config Files\T3\globalconfig.xml" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Italc\" /Y /C
    goto launch
    :Sci
    xcopy "\\server2\apps\italc\Config Files\Sci\globalconfig.xml" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Italc\" /Y /C
    goto launch
    :Lib
    xcopy "\\server2\apps\italc\Config Files\Library\globalconfig.xml" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Italc\" /Y /C
    goto launch
    :Inc
    xcopy "\\server2\apps\italc\Config Files\Inc\globalconfig.xml" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Italc\" /Y /C
    goto launch
    :LDC
    xcopy "\\server2\apps\italc\Config Files\LDC\globalconfig.xml" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Italc\" /Y /C
    goto launch
    :F1
    xcopy "\\server2\apps\italc\Config Files\F1\globalconfig.xml" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Italc\" /Y /C
    goto launch
    :Eng
    xcopy "\\server2\apps\italc\Config Files\Eng\globalconfig.xml" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Italc\" /Y /C
    goto launch
    :Admin
    xcopy "\\server2\apps\italc\Config Files\Global\globalconfig.xml" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Italc\" /Y /C
    xcopy "\\server2\apps\italc\Config Files\Global\personalconfig.xml" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Italc\" /Y /C
    goto launch
    :launch
    if not exist "C:\Program Files\Italc\Italc.exe" echo msgbox"This is not a teacher computer, so you cannot use iTALC">a.vbs&a.vbs
    del a.vbs
    if exist "C:\Program Files\Italc\Italc.exe" start "" "C:\Program Files\Italc\Italc.exe" 
    taskkill /F /IM "launch italc.exe"
    :end
    exit

Thank Post
    That's nice code and it seems like it would make life a lot easier. However I'm just starting iTalc and don't think I need that in-depth of a file.

What I've been able to do is to create a new KEY under the hkey_local_machine>software>iTalc Solutions>iTalc called paths. Then I'm able to create a string to point to the globalconfig.xml file. I have it saved under C:\iTalc\globalconfig.xml. When I do this and log in as another user, it works perfect. The only problem is that it doesn't copy my personal configs. So I created another string called personalconfig and pointed it to C:\iTalc\personalconfig.xml. However, now everytime I log in I get a message along the lines of not having permission to copy or write to that spot. I get this message no matter who I login as. If I go back into the registry and remove the personalconfig string, it works fine again. I've verified that I do in fact have permissions (I'm the domain admin) and I've even tried it with the Everyone group and the domain group AllUsers having full control of the c:\iTalc folder but still no results. Any ideas on this problem?

Thank Post
    I guess you already solved this problem, but it might be a solution to review the rights in your Windows Registry. You can set full control to a registry root, hkey_local_machine>software>iTalc Solutions>iTalc

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread