+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, CC4 Unable to rebuild anything... RM say Virus? in Technical; Hi all, When we moved from CC3 to CC4 we went from being able to rebuild three computer rooms at ...
    Thank Post

Thumbs down CC4 Unable to rebuild anything... RM say Virus?

Hi all,

When we moved from CC3 to CC4 we went from being able to rebuild three computer rooms at a time to only building four computers!

Now, we are unable to build anything.

Our infrastructure is gigabit throughout the whole school...

When we build computers over the network.. The computer builds fine until it gets to the "Adding Computers to the Network" at this stage the computer freezes and goes no further.

We do have a virus on both of our networks.. one is RM one is just a windows based network, which we call the "Admin System". On the Admin System we can build computers absolutely fine.

Anyone had any situations like this? I don't personally think its the virus, I think RM are trying to pass the blame on.

Thanks,
    Tom

rad
    Thank Post
    We have RM Virus protect which is supplied by RM, if you have that then it will be back to them.

We had an issue where we were unable to build more than 4 computers at a time but that was not down to virus issues. I'd get a scan done of the servers using Microsoft Security essentials via an administrator computer (I know MSE is not for business but it works in the short term)

If you get your AV upto date on the Windows network, when you rebuild the onto the RM network is should format and wipe the files anyway.

Thank Post
    You cannot rule out the virus causing problems to the rebuild process, if you have conficker it will limit network connectivity as it floods the network. Identify the virus and get rid is your fist priority.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    You cannot rule out the virus causing problems to the rebuild process, if you have conficker it will limit network connectivity as it floods the network. Identify the virus and get rid is your fist priority.
    We are trying. Unfortuantly we are stressing to staff to bring their computers up to the office so we can scan them. Becuase members of staff arnt, we are fighting a loosing battle everytime we disconnect servers and scan computers, on the monday the staff who refuse to bring their laptops to us infect everything again..

Dont you just hate schools!?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,093 Times in 841 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Firstly look up the Scaleable Networking Pack (SNP) on Google and disable it on the server. Cant remember the exact keys but its something along the lines of TCPChimney and 2 other keys. They need disabling.

Restart server, I bet you'll find it works nicely then

Thank Post
    What virus is it?

Thank Post
    If it's conficker its not that hard to ger rid of. We had it maybe a year ago and I seem to remember you can apply a group policy patch to stop anything from creating a scheduled task, which conficker does. You can also deploy conficker removal tools and patch them to SP3 via startup scripts as I think GP gets applied before the virus kicks in. We also ran a memory cleaning program on all sstations and servers which basically looked for the virus in memory and unloaded it if found.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,093 Times in 841 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, misread it and thought you didn't know you had a virus. So as above, which one? What symptoms other than this? If it's conficker or one of it's many clones please do a search on these forums for it and you'll see plenty of good advice on disinfection. Also it would mean your CC4 system isn't up to date/you've missed a couple of vital updates.

Thank Post
    Hi At what point are the computers failing to build. If they are failing at adding computers to the network this could be related to a DNS issue. Do have the admin and CC4 on the same subnet ? and are they on different domains ?. Do you have any idea which virus you have on the network

Thank Post
    I used to have similar problems building PCs at my last site onto a CC4 network (I especially had problems when building into VirtualBox); in the end it was determined that there were massive problems with the way RM setup the server and ended up in them sending out two guys for 4 days to fix everything.
    If you have recently 'upgraded' from CC3 to CC4 contact your account manager and raise these issues with him directly (at least if you are sure that it isn't a virus lol)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EduMan View Post
    Becuase members of staff arnt, we are fighting a loosing battle everytime we disconnect servers and scan computers, on the monday the staff who refuse to bring their laptops to us infect everything again..
    There are two ways to deal with this (and it does need dealing with):
    1. Explain the severity of the problem to SMT and have them order all staff to bring their laptops in.
    2. Go and physically take the laptops from them. If they resist, beat them to death with their own shoes.

Even if the virus is not the cause of the immediate problem, it will cause problems later. RM clearly aren't going to help you until it's sorted anyway. If nothing else, motivate yourself with the idea that getting it sorted will prove RM wrong (usually works for me).

ajs

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    [*]Go and physically take the laptops from them. If they resist, beat them to death with their own shoes.
    The problem I always found with that approach was that people don't really buy decent shoes anymore :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    The problem I always found with that approach was that people don't really buy decent shoes anymore :-)
    FACT: The only reason I worked in a Clarks shop during my A-levels was to convince people to buy sturdy shoes in preparation for the beatings years later.*

* This is a made-up fact.

14. 2 Thanks to AngryTechnician:

buzzard (6th July 2010), CHR1S (5th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Can you tell us what virus it is?, there will be lots of help here if you tell us. I would also block any laptop connecting to the DHCP server when they are brought back into school by mac address until you have looked at them.
    Last edited by jsnetman; 2nd July 2010 at 09:39 AM.

Cue
    Thank Post
    Honestly, if I were you I'd just cut every laptop off the network until it's scanned, explain to the staff that their lack of cooperation has caused this because you need to scan every machine for viruses (and for God's sake, get some decent virus protection on there, MSE isn't corporate but it's obviously better than what you have now if what you currently have can't even pick it up).

Elaborate on how viruses could be stealing all their information when they browse the net and such (even though that's more a spyware thing but hey) including logins and bank details, I'm sure they'd suddenly be far more cooperative.

If they still don't listen, then yeah, beat them with their own shoes.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast