+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Network and Classroom Management Thread, From RM CC3 to who? in Technical; Originally Posted by djm968 Nooooooo sorry but I wouldn't touch them with barge pole. The installation at one of the ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by djm968 View Post
    Nooooooo sorry but I wouldn't touch them with barge pole. The installation at one of the Academies I was working with 18 months ago had to be ripped out. They went Vanilla in the end.
    I wouldnt either but the engineer they sent was very good and servers were generally good but why 32bit DC's Os at the time was beyond me! I love my vanilla network and wouldnt look back

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    Sorry, but I just fell off my chair with the 40K for CC3 ??? Wha !!!
    Id use that hard earned tax payers cash to get a new Technician and use a vanilla network.

Sorry ... but this is a prime example of why managed services are being thrust on school.

Shocked and stunned!
    What did the 40k include though? I think you need to provide more info.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    I wouldnt either but the engineer they sent was very good and servers were generally good but why 32bit DC's Os at the time was beyond me! I love my vanilla network and wouldnt look back
    Did they not install their Network Manager Tool Kit? It just wasn’t fit for purpose! To be fair though the product was still in early stages of development but this should have been completed prior to installation at the Academy. Ranger is a good compromise.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by djm968 View Post
    Did they not install their Network Manager Tool Kit? It just wasn’t fit for purpose! To be fair though the product was still in early stages of development but this should have been completed prior to installation at the Academy. Ranger is a good compromise.
    All that thing really was, was a GUI for scripts only used it twice otherwise used AD

Thank Post
    The problem is that using a third party managed system to many people here (myself included) just seems like a waste of money when you can easily do all the things that classlink or CC4 can do with AD group policy and a few select tools.
    Take for example the school I'm in now. It bought into classlink XP at the cost of 25k before I took over. In order to upgrade the workstations to a new service pack you have to pay an annual fee to viglen of around 14k. Or you can not pay them, install an untarnished copy of xp (or 7, but not vista), and update it using the standard SP3 that M$ provide for download. The server has non of the classlink extras installed anymore, other than ghost, but is still easy to manage.
    Managed systems like classlink and CC are just a way for big IT vendors to hold you to ransom every year. If you dont know how to manage group policy, then google is a friend. Or get an IT company in to do the initial setup and provide training to yourselves. The worst thing you can do is tie yourself into another dodgy contract.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jubbi View Post
    If you dont know how to manage group policy, then google is a friend. Or get an IT company in to do the initial setup and provide training to yourselves. The worst thing you can do is tie yourself into another dodgy contract.
    Yup! I agree.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456