+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, From RM CC3 to who? in Technical; Originally Posted by Edu-IT With a managed system you don't need quite as much time as if there's a major ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    With a managed system you don't need quite as much time as if there's a major issue you can walk away and leave somebody to dig away at it for you, that's what you're paying for in support fees and generally what you pay to have that to fall back on will be less than what you'd pay for somebody to work these extra hours. Swings and roundabouts!
    I don't think so, we don't have anyone "dig away" at our network as we don't pay for support we manage everything in house just as we would a Vanilla system, we have practically built our new network platform and we don't have regular hours but what we do find time for is developing new ideas that really compliment our network and not overburden it and the staff. Its our customer focus that we concentrate on at this school and the saying "The customer is always right" goes along with our theory that a happy customer is a productive worker and vice versa.
    The reason RM costs so much for some schools is that they buy everything with it including the hardware and support, that is the reason for all the extra cost.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    I don't think so, we don't have anyone "dig away" at our network as we don't pay for support we manage everything in house just as we would a Vanilla system, we have practically built our new network platform and we don't have regular hours but what we do find time for is developing new ideas that really compliment our network and not overburden it and the staff. Its our customer focus that we concentrate on at this school and the saying "The customer is always right" goes along with our theory that a happy customer is a productive worker and vice versa.
    The reason RM costs so much for some schools is that they buy everything with it including the hardware and support, that is the reason for all the extra cost.
    But what I am saying is in schools where there's only 10 hours of technician time a week and no movement on that, RM support can help when there's an issue that needs digging away at or provide a fix for the person to try when they're next on site.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @OP Have you outlined your issues to RM to see if they can help in any way? If you are prepared to dangle a 40k future investment under your account manager's nose (s)he might be able to work out a solution. If you are replacing your current servers then I guess the cost is for hardware and commissioning? Bear in mind that these servers could then be used for a future CC4 system and thus the hardware cost comes from your future 40k investment anyway is won't be an additional cost.
    If the difference is then down to the commissioning cost of the CC3 servers to keep you going until the CC4 commissioning then they might be some wiggle room from RM on the cost. I find that account managers have a certain amount of play on the prices if you haggle and if you are close to a deal the senior managers can sometimes sort something out as well.

On a more general note, I do take offence at the suggestion that CCx is for people who can't run a vanilla network. I run CC3, CC4 and vanilla networks and am competent at each and know many skilled NMs and Techs who run CCx networks. Personally I enjoy running a CC4 network as it gives me more time to concentrate on developing other areas of the network than either my vanilla or CC3 sites allow.

4. Thanks to sparkeh from:

webman (9th June 2010)

Thank Post
    If you tell RM you are thinking of moving away then they will probably give you a lot of incentives to stay - certainly did at my last school when we ditched them :-)

Thank Post
    RM will allow you to split the cost over 2 years, interest free (my account manager informed me of this this morning, as we are in a similar position). That makes the upgrade to CC4 much more manageable if it was just the initial price that's putting you off.

And as the others have said, keep haggling!!

Thank Post
    Ranger for Networks is ok if you want a mix of both.

You get all the handy tools like being able to distribute software over networks with very little effort, teh ability to manage user accounts in a friendlier manner.

It depends on the size of your installation but i do loads of school installations and it takes me around 12 hours to get it all installed, workstations images, users created etc.

The biggest benefit i find is you can use a lot of the vanilla features of windows alongside it, it doesnt just totally take over your network like CC3 \ 4 etc

Thank Post
    We used Ranger for a couple of years until I could get enough staff to go Vanilla. It's now owned by RM but as far as I know they are still a seperate entity.

Thank Post
    Why not have a play with Learning Network Manager?

Thank Post
    There is no ongoing development and no support available for LNM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    There is no ongoing development and no support available for LNM.
    Would there really be any issue with a lack of development?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fafster View Post
    Would there really be any issue with a lack of development?
    You want to setup a brand new network based on an unsupported product?!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    You want to setup a brand new network based on an unsupported product?!
    I meant to have a play with it in order to set up a test environment. That way you can get used to Vanilla pretty easily.

Thank Post
    ::screams::

1) The terminology really sucks in this thread and I'm pretty sure none of you are running what's usually meant by "Vanilla" i.e. what you get on the installtion CD/DVD with no added extras. What everyone appears to be talking about is:

a) Do-It-Yourself (DIY) which has all the config and bits you added
    b) Off-The-Shelf (OTS) which has all the config and bits someone else added.

And of course the OP want opinions on an OTS besides CC4.

2) If a DIY system require significantly more time to manage than a CCx then IT IS NOT A GOOD ONE and/or you're not nearly as clever as you think you are.

15. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

ijk (18th June 2010)

Thank Post
    I dont really have anything at all 3rd party Server 2008 R2 has mostly everything I need all I think I have is WinInstall, UltraVNC thats it really

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    2) If a DIY system require significantly more time to manage than a CCx then IT IS NOT A GOOD ONE and/or you're not nearly as clever as you think you are.
    Neither myself or my network manager have ever supported a "DIY" network, so we're not trying to claim we are clever. This is why we want an "OTS" network.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast