+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Ranger Remote Control - Tutor Config in Technical; Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has experience with the same requirements, and if anyone has hactually managed this ...

Thank Post

Ranger Remote Control - Tutor Config

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the same requirements, and if anyone has hactually managed this yet....

We are runnning Ranger Remote Control v10.50.2 in a single classroom (for testing purposes). I have installed the Student Client on all 25 machines perfectly, and deployed the Client32.ini perfectly. In this version of Ranger, you are able to specify which room the client will be in. For instance, the room in which we are testing in is called "RM20". Eveything about the Student clients work fine.

The problem we have, is that when we install the Tutor Software on the teaching machine at the front of the classroom, all teaching staff that log on obviously use a different local profile within Windows. When Ranger is started by any member of staff, the settings are dragged from "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Ranger\Remote Control".

I have configured the Tutor Console to "Use shared data files", by using the following routine:

School > Configuration > Administration > Profile > File Locations > Advanced > Use shared data files.

When using this option, when any member of staff logs on, it configures the Tutor Console from "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ranger\Remote Control". The only problem, is that any passwords set on the Tutor Console don't seem to be included. This would mean that if a student was to log onto the teaching machine, they could essentially just start Ranger, and Ranger would automatically connect to all of the machines within that room. The only other option I can think of, is changing the NTFS permissions on "C:\Program Files\Ranger Remote Control", so that only teaching staff have any access to this folder.

The ideal outcome to this issue, would be that whenever ANY user logs on, they are prompted for the password, and that the Tutor Console is configured the same, regardless of which user logs on. This is because we have a variety of teachers that use the same computer, and a default Tutor setup would be ideal, without the risk of letting students acessing it.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sven.
    Last edited by sven; 6th May 2010 at 10:31 AM.

Thank Post
    Just thought I would update this thread, incase anyone else with the same problem is looking for a solution.

I added the following registry entries to the computer hosting the tutor console:

Registry location: hklm\software\productive computer insight\pcictl\
    ValueName: NSSuseHKLM
    Value: 1

If that doesn't work for you, try adding it in:

Registry location: hklm\software\productive computer insight\pcictl\Configlist\Ranger Remote Control
    ValueName: NSSuseHKLM
    Value: 1

These entries force Ranger to use single user mode, rather than multi user. any changes made now will be stored in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and therefore should apply for all users. Got it alll working like I want it to now.

Sven.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread