+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, CC3 Machines windows xp could not start errors in Technical; We are always getting this error on our cc3 machines especially the RM ASCEND 2020B machines (black P4 CPU) when ...
    Thank Post

CC3 Machines windows xp could not start errors

We are always getting this error on our cc3 machines especially the RM ASCEND 2020B machines (black P4 CPU) when windows is booted:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

the only way to fix this is to rebuild the pcs or boot into recovery console and copy the missing files from cd.

I've tried logging a call with RM about the possible reasons for the error coming up and they dont seem to have a clue to why.

does anyone else get these errors on their cc3 network?

Thank Post
    Reasons normally are:
    - File corruption, normally due to improper shutdown
    - HDD area where this file was has died/become corrupt/been damaged/gone on holiday
    - You haven't carried out your monthly sacrifice to the great RM & this is a reminder!

We have given up trying to diagnose, we just rebuild.

3. Thanks to TechMonkey from:

sandeep2504 (30th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    I see this occasionally, and it's by no means exclusive to CC3. The file it is complaining about being missing is the file that stores the system registry. When I see this it is almost always caused by NTFS corruption on the hard disk. Root cause is usually either a failing hard disk, or more typically if the machine is frequently being switched off without shutting down.

If you can boot to the Windows XP Recovery console using a CD you could try running chkdsk to repair the errors. This often works for me and is a lot quicker than a rebuild if the corruption is fairly minor. If it isn't, a rebuild is your only option.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 30th April 2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Better source for info about the Recovery Console

5. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yup same model, same problem.

Have never got to the bottom of this one, hard drive seems to check out ok but every so often get that issue.
    Taking an image after building and restoring when this error occurs is a much quicker way of fixing than a full rebuild.

7. Thanks to sparkeh from:

Thank Post
    i'm convinced its a problem with this model as the same model always has problems with SATA cables.

Thank Post
    Is that the model with the nVidia chipset on the mobo? I have never been a fan of the Nvidia mobo stuff, seems to be a bit flakey. Try setting the bios from SATA to IDE emulation if available in the bios ( will require a rebuild after) that should put it in a more legacy mode and maybe be a bit more reliable.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sandeep2504 View Post
    i'm convinced its a problem with this model as the same model always has problems with SATA cables.
    There was an issue with SATA cables that were too short and so a bit tight. Due to them not having an clips they could work themselves loose. RM engineers were being issued with new clipped cables so if you had a call out they would swap them. We have had this issue and many HDD issues with the early RM ones. HDD not formatting correctly, or corrupting badly.

11. Thanks to TechMonkey from:

AngryTechnician (30th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll agree with all the above points: especially about sata/ide cables being too short in some cases. I've seen a couple of badly assembled units where the cables actually frayed.

However the most common reason I'm seeing for this is computer abuse. Desktops being lifted then dropped onto the desk appears to be popular as it doesn't make much noise (when the rest of the class are screaming for attention) and instantly kills the average PC. My typical course of action is check with the hdd makers diagnostic tool to make sure the HDD physically survived then a straight rebuild.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread