+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, CC3 'Custom Setting' for Pre-Log On Screensaver in Technical; Okay I have been trying to send out Messagepoint as a custom screensaver across our CC3 network. Messagepoint simply loads ...
    Thank Post

CC3 'Custom Setting' for Pre-Log On Screensaver

Okay I have been trying to send out Messagepoint as a custom screensaver across our CC3 network. Messagepoint simply loads a PowerPoint file, and runs it continuously until interrupted by mouse movement etc. As we use CC3 I set the custom screensaver as Messagepoint through the RMMC, and sent it out to the system32 folder of all my machines as a package.

Now the problem is that the screensaver requires a setting to be changed (the one that tells the screensaver which PowerPoint presentation to use) before it will operate. It seems there is no way to access the 'settings' of your own screensaver through the RMMC, and so from digging around I worked out I could change it within the screensavers registry file on each machine.

I assumed I would be able to add my registry fragment as a custom setting on my custom workstation type, and then the registry entry would be made, but it just will not apply, and the screensaver will not work. However if I visit one of my machines manually and double click my registry file, add it to registry, and then log off, my screensaver operates perfectly.

So, basically I need a way to add this registry file to all my machines without going round each individual station.

I've been playing solution tennis with my local support team, who have in turn been bouncing off RM. But after over a month of message based sport they have reached the conclusion; 'RM have articles on creating pre and post logon screensavers. If the customer choses to deviate from these articles and try to get these working another way then that is there prerogative but its not something RM would support.'

This is after they pointed me the same knowledge article twice (TEC558217) – which simply explains how to go into the RMMC and point to a screensaver file. Like I’ve said my problem lies in the settings of the screensaver, not which screensaver I want to use!

If anybody could offer some help on my issue, I would be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Forgot to add, this is the registry fragment that I am trying to add to each machine (most of which is irrelevant apart from the 'Presentation' line;

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\PresentationPoint\Mes sagePoint]
    "EndOnKeyboard"="True"
    "EndOnMouse"="True"
    "Language"="EN"
    "LastProductInfo"="2"
    "Presentation"="\\\\servername\\drive\\*powerpointname*.pps"
    "Timestamp"="01/01/2000"

RM have stated that 'You cannot apply a HKEY_USERS setting in a Workstation Type. These can only be set on User types.' but then that would not work as somebody would have to be logged in for that registry setting to be applied, and the whole idea of the screensaver is that it plays when a user is not using the computer. I know these are the registry settings I have to change as I have made contact with the creator of the program who clarified this, as well as testing it out manually.
    Last edited by cbeeching; 22nd April 2010 at 10:01 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    I assume the space in "Mes sagePoint" is a typo?

Personally, I would send the settings out with the package, since presumably they aren't going to change any time soon. Did you make it yourself or is it an MSI from the manufacturer? I'm looking into this myself right now but am still waiting for the registration email.

Thank Post
    Yeah, hehe, the space is a typo.. just checked my reg file incase (that would be so annoying if that was causing it!). Well I sent the screensaver file out as a package, although I don't think it was even neccessary as it appears you can run a screensaver file from any directory on your network (providing you put in the full path, and it is available to the machine). I made the MSI using the RM application wizard, simply by placing the SS file within the system32 folder and running the before/after snapshot. Maybe i'll try running that again but this time add in my registry fragment too... That could just work!

Cheers.

Thank Post
    I assumed I would be able to...
    Because I've done it, and sometimes still do, I'm sympathetic to to the support side of the fence. Drawing the line is difficult, but broadly speaking there are two things you do NOT get from a support provider unless they're intent on operating at a significant loss:

a) Free unlimited on-demand training for any aspect of Windows that takes your fancy. Your assumption was wrong for both Vanilla 2003 and CC3/4. Group policy only lets you fiddle with HKCU and HKLM. If you want to centrally play with HKU a common method is with a computer start-up script, but **the package method is better here because they inherently only run once**. Note: You can happily set HKU with 2008+ Group Policy Preferences.

b) Extensive support for some service or product you bought from someone else. If I'd written and were selling that product to run on Windows domain systems then in return for your money I'd certainly accept responsibility for providing a means to deploy those reg settings across a Windows domain and probably with MSI properties. That so many vendor's don't do Windows domains very well is really a reflection of purchaser gullability.

Support skills vary and much depends on who you get, but if I were dealing with this I probably would have gone "Uh.. OK.. errmm it's HKU.. make a package to do it" and that would probably have been it because your support contract is unlikely to include MSI making and on any given day there were always lots of more pressing system break/fix issues to get on with (on another day those could be yours).

Anyway all that aside, if you do what you said correctly then I agree it should just work.

Thank Post
    I believe the reason this is not workign is because the screensaver set for the logon screen is overriding your registry fragment. Ensure that the screensaver option for the logon screen is not applied in Type Manager before setting your own fragment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverentCreature View Post
    I believe the reason this is not workign is because the screensaver set for the logon screen is overriding your registry fragment. Ensure that the screensaver option for the logon screen is not applied in Type Manager before setting your own fragment.
    I'm not sure that is the trouble, as it seems that NO registry fragment will be applied, for instance I tested another setting;

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard]
    "InitialKeyboardIndicators"="0"
    "KeyboardDelay"="1"
    "KeyboardSpeed"="32"

Just to see if maybe it would only change entries that are already present on the machine as default. I have added that reg frag, and the one for my screensaver into a custom package (where I took a before snapshot, then manually added the settings, and then took an after snapshot) - then I attempted to allocate that package to my machine. On a restart I can see the package being applied, but no registry changes are reflected once I am logged on. If I take either of these two registry fragments and click > add to registry, then they get added. The only screensaver settings I have set within the RMMC is the screensaver to use, and the time it should be activated by. It shouldn't even matter which screensaver I have selected, as the individual settings of the screensaver are held within the registry of the machine itself, and can not be changed through the RMMC (to the best of my knowledge).

I can't see why the registry settings were not recorded when I made my package. The application wizard has produced a bunch of files, including a '.reg' , but on looking at this it doesn't seem to contain any of the changes I made during my before/after snapshop.. so I really don't understand what it has done!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread