+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Mass Login in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Got a quote from NetSupport a couple of months back:

For Version 10.50:
    60 machines worked out at £26.60/machine license & £5.32/machine support plus delivery, VAT, etc.

Don't know if we were in a price break at that stage, but gives you an idea ..

But, you might as well give iTalc a try first. Works well enough, just does the logging on visibly (not so that it reveals the password, but 'types it in' where as NetSupport (and I'm guessing LanSchool) does it invisibly, but you've got to ask yourself, if you're using it only for the logging on, is it worth £1000 - £2000 expenditure?

Thank Post
    The school were going to buy NetOps school anyway, but it did not have the mass login feature, so if something like LanSchool, NetSupport or Ab Tutor do roughly the same thing as NetOps School plus it allows mass login then the school might as well ditch NetOps and go with one of the others.

I will look into iTalc in the mean time, cheers all.

Thank Post
    Just to update you all, the school ict co-ordinator plus the head and a few teachers had a look at netops, netsupport, italc and ab tutor.

the feedback i got was this -

netops - good, easy to use but expensive
    netsupport - good, not so easy to use, expensive, more geared towards secondary schools
    italc - universally hated, nothing good was said about italc
    ab tutor - loved by all, so ab tutor is the winner and for £200 you cant go wrong, highly recommended.

Thank Post
    another one for ab tutor - saved us sooooo much hassle (the kids hate it tho!)

Thank Post
    I remember doing this over 10 years ago with windows NT4, some registry settings etc. I will get back to you!

Another vote for AB Tutor Control, can be installed and run from a USB pen drive so teacher could use it in multiple IT Suites (only one session at a time with 1 licence)
    Last edited by MYK-IT; 26th March 2010 at 01:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi, I have scripts that do exactly what you want to do. We have a script that logs all computers on in an IT suite automatically. Then you run an undo script to revert the changes. Saves loads of time. We also have a script that will log an ICT suite on using a different user to a different computer. This is used for our ECDL. So computer 1 logs in ECDL1, computer 2 logs in ECDL2 etc. Email me seperately and I will send you the scripts.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alfatec View Post
    Hi, I have scripts that do exactly what you want to do.
    Email me seperately and I will send you the scripts.
    Can I ask if you would consider sharing the script as an attachment as this sort of thing would be an absolute boon... Not against emailing but community resources like that are really helpful...

Thank Post
    what about just creating a user say r or n with no password?

Thank Post
    Hi I have uploaded the scripts. You will need to rename the logasadminexample.txt to a .bat file and the multipleusersautologin.txt to a bat file. Save all files in the C: directory. Create txt files for each of your computer suites like the room12.txt example. You will also have to amend the file names in the
    autologincommands file to reflect your IT suites. All you do then is copy the autologincommand to a command prompt and hit enter. Ensure all your computers are switched on before you send the script. Also ensure that the server service is running on all the computers. Once you send the script the computers will restart and will be automatically logged on as administrator or if required any multiple users that you have set up. Drop me a line if you need any assistance. One last thing, don't forget to run the undo script once you have finished. Our computers automatically start at 0800 in the morning so if any are
    left unscripted then they will automatically login.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by alfatec; 18th May 2010 at 02:55 PM.

10. 2 Thanks to alfatec:

contink (18th May 2010), revile (31st August 2011)

Thank Post
    Thinking about this as a devils advocate I'd really want some way of wiping the autologin at specified times, so if the autologin is older than say 12:30pm it removes the script... likewise if it's next day and the script is still there from the day before it wipes the script before it autologs in...

I'd imagine something like a startup script would enable something like this but I'll definitely be taking a look at this with a view to using it for the reception class in one of my schools... I imagine I'll get praise for once if I can get it working ...

Thank Post
    What we do is have an alert sent to Domain admins when an Administrtor logs in, that way you can see if one of your computers has been missed. It works very well for us as we run ECDL that requires a special account for a higher level of admin rights than a normal student account. If we did not use this then we would have to manually log in over 60 accounts and when we are in ECDL testing season this can be 3 - 4 time a day for a few weeks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Techie101 View Post
    thanks all, could you give me some idea of price for Lan School and Netsupport, we need 32 client versions and 1 teacher version.

Ab Tutor looks good for just £200, also had a look at Netops School, but thats gonna cost around £600-800, does everything but mass login
    ABTutor is lovely - can do this & so much more

Thank Post
    Quick question to all, given the threads come back alive briefly:

I saw somewhere a control system that manages OS X as well as XP (and I think Linux, but I'm not sure) and just wondering if anyone knows which one it is? Just we're getting more Macs at one school and I'll like to make a purchase that controls all of them, not just the windows clients.

Thanks

EDIT:
    Scrap that, it's the V11 of NetSupport that does it! (just found an e-mail at another school of mine about it).

If anyone knows of any other solutions though as NS is rather expensive.
    Last edited by soveryapt; 19th May 2010 at 02:09 PM.

Thank Post
    ABtutor control...2ndid, 3rdid, 4thid... This is the best product I have seen for a while. I wasn't that impressed with version 5, but now on 6.4 and it is working well. It really is excellent for both teaching staff and technicians. You can also set it up to do logging and keyboard monitoring on workstations, which is a godsend for tracking 'dodgy' kids! It has worked wonders for us in cracking down on dodgy stuff.... It is also really easy to block internet on certain workstations etc etc

Oh yeah..it can also log onto workstations at the same time :-)

The cost was also excellent £140 for one teacher workstation. If you buy 9 or more 'control' programs for teacher desktops, then it comes down to £120! The number of clients is unlimited!

Hope this is of some help

www.abconsulting.com

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12