+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Open helpdesk tickets in Technical; Hello, We have just recently started using the spiceworks helpdesk software, and I'm surprised at how many tickets we accumulate, ...

Thank Post

Open helpdesk tickets

Hello,

We have just recently started using the spiceworks helpdesk software, and I'm surprised at how many tickets we accumulate, it hasn't really slipped below 37 tickets for 2 weeks or so now. You close one ticket and another 2 open!

I'm just curious as to what other schools who are using helpdesk software are seeing in correlation to their setup (e.g: number of devices and users supported/ number of technicians/ network management software used (e.g: RM CC4)

We are running CC4 and have 3 full time people in IT support supporting about 1000 users and just over 400 devices

Daniel

Thank Post
    Another familiar name from RM Communities. Welcome!

I currently have 12 open tickets and that's not including one or two jobs I am working on, not ticketed, so I guess that is pretty good.

AIT
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by d-taylor View Post
    Hello,

We have just recently started using the spiceworks helpdesk software, and I'm surprised at how many tickets we accumulate, it hasn't really slipped below 37 tickets for 2 weeks or so now. You close one ticket and another 2 open!

I'm just curious as to what other schools who are using helpdesk software are seeing in correlation to their setup (e.g: number of devices and users supported/ number of technicians/ network management software used (e.g: RM CC4)

We are running CC4 and have 3 full time people in IT support supporting about 1000 users and just over 400 devices

Daniel
    we have an in house written support desk.

roughly speaking about 10 posts a day. often just requiring a reboot of a pc.

800 workstations. 5000 users (full windows 7 and full adobe packages)

also support our local feeder schools 1 post per day.

2 support technicians followed by 2 network managers

p.s. each day we expect to have 0 open tickets except where replacement parts are required.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    RM CC3 network, 2.5 people, 350 workstations/laptops, 50 printers, 50 IWBs, 15-20 servers. Helpdesk usually hovers around 0-5 "in progress" tickets, during the day it can rise up to about 8 at a time submitted by our staff.

However, we don't store long-term projects and installs in the helpdesk - it is purely for staff to request help.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    RM CC3 network, 2.5 people, 350 workstations/laptops, 50 printers, 50 IWBs, 15-20 servers. Helpdesk usually hovers around 0-5 "in progress" tickets, during the day it can rise up to about 8 at a time submitted by our staff.

However, we don't store long-term projects and installs in the helpdesk - it is purely for staff to request help.
    "2.5 people" isn't that a bit messy which half do you have the top or bottom? I know server rooms are cold but they just don't work the same as proper cold storage

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    2 full time people, 1 half time person We prefer the top half so we at least have another pair of hands. Can't replace a motherboard with your feet

Thank Post
    we use footprints

6 techs
    3 network techs

10,000 user
    6000 pcs
    500-600 laptops
    20+ servers

get around 30-40 calls a day

currently 152 open calls, 72 pending customer information

But its friday so on the road to home.......

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    2 full time people, 1 half time person We prefer the top half so we at least have another pair of hands. Can't replace a motherboard with your feet
    I've never tired, I'm willing to give it a go though, I know its possible to complete a rubix cube with your feet so a mobo should be a doddle! [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zePA3uIbB5I"]YouTube- MythBusters - Creaming the Cube[/ame]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Spiceworks
    2.5 Techs
    100 Staff
    850 Pupils
    76 Total tickets since half term
    14 Still Open
    0 New Today
    1 Server Hard Drive 18% formatted since 11:30

Thank Post
    rm cc3 student network and vanilla admin network, circa 1200 users, about 400 desktops and laptops, and supporting anything with a plug with 1 Senior Tech and 1 Tech and 1 Network Manager.

have 36 calls open at the moment and as of 4th march we had 100 calls in march alone, 121 total in feb and 152 total jan.

we log student requests (shows time spent on basic stuff reset passwords), staff requests and department jobs as these all affect our time and are trying to put a case forward for a another person to join the team.

helpdesk hasnt been in place for long though and i suspect there are more calls that are not being logged by staff.

we also havent put in a knowledge base properly yet and dont have proper training for staff (we want to create some training videos in flash) as i would hope this would reduce the amount of calls by a lot!

Thank Post
    3 calls open at the moment 2 awaiting feedback and 1 awaiting authorisation for a replacement IAWB that has died.

Had about 10 calls today. Off for a curry now though for a work mates retirement, then off to Leeds comedy club!

D

Thank Post
    Yeah I like edugeek, loads more techies on here than communities

Many thanks for all your replies, some interesting variation. I like the helpdesk that has 0 calls at the end of the day! We do tend to log projects and our RM Support calls in there too so that will have some bearing on our open call number

Daniel

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    We average around 50 tickets a month (I can tell this as we are just over the 12 months since implementing SpiceWorks to replace the previous system). We don't log everything, but are trying to then it is another tool to justify our full time existance.

We are 2 full time staff (1 NM and 1 Techy) both do a large volume of extra time to keep up, 240 workstations, 30 staff laptops (mainly dying now), 12 servers, 2 CCTV Systems, Phone System, Anything with a Plug on it

70 Staff
    461 Students

I think I've got about 12 tickets open and assigned to me, some are known as Holiday Jobs though which get done in the Holidays, my oldest is now over a year old as I cannot get the program to work at all, I think it will be a laptop only jobby or something.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    140 workstations, 90 staff, 500 pupils. Most workstations are on CC3. 1 person doing support (me). Had just over 400 tickets since September when the helpdesk first came online. Currently have 1 open and 5 pending (pending meaning I think I've fixed it and am waiting for confirmation from the user).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread