+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, RM CC3 SP3 Very Newbe Needs some dumbing down and HELP in Technical; Hi, Im Very new to the hole ICT technition post. have very little access to support. so i'm hopeing some ...

Thank Post

Red face RM CC3 SP3 Very Newbe Needs some dumbing down and HELP

Hi, Im Very new to the hole ICT technition post. have very little access to support. so i'm hopeing some of you may be able to assistme with a few things. can prety much muddle my way trough in the end but dont have the language or experiance so please dumb down. Heres my problem I have followed the instructions religiously for downloading and allocating XP SP3 Update, win instal update 3.1, the new RM Aplication agent and IE7 along with HFXCC33243. we have 90 or so machines. and I have had about 7% sucsess with SP3 and probably 90% sucsess with IE7 with the Machines that have not installed SP3 most of the other updates have also not installed, However thay dont say thay have failed insted thay say "Installation_Pending" I have tried repeatedly restarting some of these machines. Health Checks, realocating, alocating all the updates that had not been properly allocated prior to me takeing the job, Updating Packaged list and nothing seems to change. Can any one tell me what is going on and how I can resolve it. Im starting to get a bit hot and bothered and hve few ideas left.
    Thanks for listening

Thank Post
    I've had similar package allocation problems before (i'm not going to be doing the SP3 upgrade though).
    Normally i'll end up rebooting the forest root server to 'unlock' the package control files (workstationname.ini) ,I've also done the the same thing in the past to fix changes to the start menu (program sets) not showing up.

To be honest i'd restart all the servers and rebuild a few workstations from scratch, if it works then just rebuild them all to have peace of mind that everything has installed in the correct order.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can you be a bit more specific with the allocation?

So using one station as an example, you allocate the SP3 package to it. Restart the station. Does it appear as if it's installing the package? (blue wait-bar?) and then still report install_pending in the ini? Or does it act as if there isn't a change to be done and ignore the installation status?

Have you also tried manually forcing an update check on station? Sign in as systemadmin, go to start and run and type installrm.
    I think as above, a server restart certainly won't do any harm.

Thank Post
    Hi
    Check if the Autoexnt service is not missing or disabled on the affected stations

Thank Post
    how are you getting on???

Thank Post
    I am quite interested how people are getting along with RM's SP3 update packages, from the instructions it all seems overly complicated!! Especially as we have just finished installing IE7 and now there is a new version for SP3!!?!?!

It also gives a time for installation of between 20 and 60 minutes.... How accurate is this? Some of our laptops can be very slow on first boot so it will be interesting how they get along!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not had too many problems with SP3.

Deploying the package to SP2 stations as an upgrade works fine but have had an issue with certain models when trying to build straight to SP3. Basically after SP3 is applied in the build process the network card fails to initialise in time to carry on the build process. Therefore I need a staging area to build to SP2 then apply SP3 which is slightly annoying.

With regards to the OP, I would probably try a rebuild of a couple of machines to see if they work ok.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread