+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Network and Classroom Management Thread, cc4 sr2 in Technical; Before we take the plunge into the trial; anyone else in it? If your aloud to give us feedback of ...
  1. #1
    mjs_mjs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    bexleyheath, london
    Posts
    1,018
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 111 Times in 95 Posts
    Rep Power
    37

    cc4 sr2

    Before we take the plunge into the trial; anyone else in it? If your aloud to give us feedback of what to expect please let me know publicly or via PM. I would like both positive and negative comments please.

  2. #2
    gumbygaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    94
    Thank Post
    79
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    This is something I'd like to know too... Want rid of the Gina issues and hoping that SR2 will sort this!

  3. #3

    russdev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    6,920
    Thank Post
    708
    Thanked 550 Times in 365 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    204
    You can remove the gina which what we did here while back.
    Last edited by russdev; 3rd March 2010 at 11:09 AM.

  4. #4
    gumbygaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    94
    Thank Post
    79
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Yeah, I've seen a couple threads about removing it and I've removed it on a couple machines as test seems simple enough.
    However, I've not dabbled in setting up a GPO to remove the other domains options etc to prevent what would be alot of users selecting the wrong domain options...

    Have you done that, if so is it relatively easy to configure the gpo?

  5. #5

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,122
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 619 Times in 566 Posts
    Rep Power
    180
    There's an agreement in place saying you cannot discuss it.

    "I undertake not to disclose any information about these field trials to any third party"

    SR2 removes the Gina but they've left the "log on to local computer" option there so prepare for the calls about not being able to login.

  6. #6
    mjs_mjs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    bexleyheath, london
    Posts
    1,018
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 111 Times in 95 Posts
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    There's an agreement in place saying you cannot discuss it.

    "I undertake not to disclose any information about these field trials to any third party"

    SR2 removes the Gina but they've left the "log on to local computer" option there so prepare for the calls about not being able to login.
    Yeah we've just signed up for it, and saw that line. Unfortunate as I think schools should be allowed to share there experience in some way - maybe not on this forum, but somewhere.

    So RM CC4 SR2 will look more and more like vanilla windows. About time. I've know about removing the RM login for some time, but it does have a nice feature of not allowing them to choose the wrong domain or local computer, hence we've kept it.

    Want rid of the Gina issues and hoping that SR2 will sort this!
    What Gina issues do you have?

  7. #7
    gumbygaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    94
    Thank Post
    79
    Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    The main problem is the Gina Blue screen problem - where the login boxes disappear and unable to get them back without rebooting the machines.
    Have tried every key combo, rebuilding machines, tutor4 removal etc
    Not sure what's kicked it off so bad, but basically 80% of machines need to be rebooted 3-4 times a day. Getting to become quite a pain, disrupting classes quite a bit now so looking at the gina removal option!

  8. #8
    mjs_mjs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    bexleyheath, london
    Posts
    1,018
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 111 Times in 95 Posts
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbygaz View Post
    The main problem is the Gina Blue screen problem - where the login boxes disappear and unable to get them back without rebooting the machines.
    Have tried every key combo, rebuilding machines, tutor4 removal etc
    Not sure what's kicked it off so bad, but basically 80% of machines need to be rebooted 3-4 times a day. Getting to become quite a pain, disrupting classes quite a bit now so looking at the gina removal option!
    Fair do's we had this on a few but nothing major.

  9. #9

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    5,888
    Thank Post
    575
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    461
    The one thing we're going to need of SR2 are two planned inclusions: build images for W7 and XP SP3 (bit late!) Also, I do wonder if, as they were supposed to with SR1 include the ability to rename a workstation. It's not difficult in CC3 yet impossible in CC4 :|

  10. #10
    mjs_mjs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    bexleyheath, london
    Posts
    1,018
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 111 Times in 95 Posts
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    The one thing we're going to need of SR2 are two planned inclusions: build images for W7 and XP SP3 (bit late!) Also, I do wonder if, as they were supposed to with SR1 include the ability to rename a workstation. It's not difficult in CC3 yet impossible in CC4 :|
    I'm looking forward to trying the win7 image.

    How did you rename a CC3 workstation and what have you tried in CC4?

  11. #11
    rad
    rad is offline
    rad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    2,478
    Thank Post
    335
    Thanked 308 Times in 236 Posts
    Rep Power
    109
    I'd remove RM Gina, it was simple enough, I only did it in one class room as a test and have left it for now, it isn't obvious how many computers it affects daily but do know it is a pain somedays.

  12. #12

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    5,888
    Thank Post
    575
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    I'm looking forward to trying the win7 image.

    How did you rename a CC3 workstation and what have you tried in CC4?
    Rename all registry entries referring to the station name on the station and duplicate the AD entries on server referring again to the new name.

  13. #13
    mjs_mjs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    bexleyheath, london
    Posts
    1,018
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 111 Times in 95 Posts
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Rename all registry entries referring to the station name on the station and duplicate the AD entries on server referring again to the new name.
    I guess you'd have to do all that and change details in the Postgress database. Nice, I can see why a rebuild is just as easy.

  14. #14

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    5,888
    Thank Post
    575
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    461
    Aye, I've had a good attempt but my knowledge and google-ability only goes so far :|
    I think what grinds for many people is the "Yeah, it'll be possible in CC4"

    "Ah yeah, it'll be there in SR1, don't panic"

    "Ah yeah, it'll be there in SR2..."

    Might see it in CC5

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. CC4 Anywhere
    By Edu-IT in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 20th January 2010, 05:05 PM
  2. Wireless + CC4 = Help!!
    By JustComm in forum Windows
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 17th October 2009, 02:25 PM
  3. But can it run CC4??
    By CHR1S in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 8th October 2009, 05:22 PM
  4. RM CC3 or CC4
    By adeasha in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10th September 2009, 05:18 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •