+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Getting rid of Winsuite in Technical; One of my schools is coming up to having their server replaced. They are currently running Winsuite. I want to ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Getting rid of Winsuite

One of my schools is coming up to having their server replaced. They are currently running Winsuite. I want to put forward a case fro getting rid of Winsuite. The head is very keen on keeping it. He believes it helps the younger students but all my other school have a vanilla network and get on just fine.

Just wondered if anyone had got any suggestions of what I can put to him to try and change his mind

Jon
    Thank Post
    If you are getting a new server make sure it is windows 2008.

Winsuite will not run on server 2008

3. Thanks to Jon from:

BrianG (1st February 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I like your thinking. The problem is, i have to convince him not to use it again. If i put 2008 in and winsuite doesn't work, without convincing him he's better of without it i'll get shot

Jon
    Thank Post
    The only real reason I can think of for keeping winsuite is that the users can simply click on thier user name to log on.

Whithout it users will have to type in a username and password which you may find will take KS1 pupils/teachers a while to get used to.

Everything else winsuite does can be done much better by using group policies.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Everything is done now using group policies. I took all that side aawy from WInsuite along time ago. The only thing winsuite does now is the log on screen and the desktop manager. I understand why he likes winsuite, from his point of view, but from mine it's just a pain in the

Thank Post
    been there

had a server install booked rearranged all other visits for 2 days or so to do it and the day before head cancels it (server was already on site and plugged in) because whe diddnt want to lose this awful bit of software. In the end it was finally got through to them that its better if pcs look like xp because thats what kids have got at home anyway and a few simple n/r/y1/y2 logins with no passwords and simplifies start menu/desktop icons and i havnt had many issues (though ive avoided the head even more than usual in that school). Though with server 2008 you could if needs must hyper v a 2003 server for winsuite if all else fails (again school has this for pwinting i was having issues finding matching 2008r2 x64 and x86 drivers so i just hyperv'd a 2003 r2 print server.

In this day and age winsuite really has no place kids know more about pcs than most staff anyway and worst case give em laminated bits of card with username / password on job done

8. Thanks to sted from:

Thank Post
    Winsuite must be coming to the end of its life. They haven't supported anything post XP to my knowledge, so persuade him that he will have to bite the bullet at sometime, so why not now.

10. Thanks to laserblazer from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Winsuite must be coming to the end of its life. They haven't supported anything post XP to my knowledge, so persuade him that he will have to bite the bullet at sometime, so why not now.
    because from a teachers point of view esp ks1 its great kids can just look themselves up on a list and the fisher price interface is really obvious and easy. From an administration point of view its a pig but end users rightly dont really care especially if "its always been like that"

Jon
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    been there

Though with server 2008 you could if needs must hyper v a 2003 server for winsuite if all else fails (again school has this for pwinting i was having issues finding matching 2008r2 x64 and x86 drivers so i just hyperv'd a 2003 r2 print server.

In this day and age winsuite really has no place kids know more about pcs than most staff anyway and worst case give em laminated bits of card with username / password on job done
    You could do this but ... the virtual machine would have to also be a domain controller as winsuite needs to run on the PDC emulator ... This would then of course mean having to run your domain in win2003 mode rather than native windows 2008.

It really is time to get shot of winsuite, it is holding back the way you run your network if you don't.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    You could do this but ... the virtual machine would have to also be a domain controller as winsuite needs to run on the PDC emulator ... This would then of course mean having to run your domain in win2003 mode rather than native windows 2008.

It really is time to get shot of winsuite, it is holding back the way you run your network if you don't.
    as far as im aware there is 0 functional difference between 2008 and 2003 domain levels you only have the option there for consistency with other versions of server
    Last edited by sted; 1st February 2010 at 02:41 PM.

Thank Post
    We had a similar issue here but it wasn't a big deal. I guess if you have very young kids it might be more of an ordeal but they all should be capable of typing their name? IMHO you are not doing anyone any favours by hanging on and you should mahe the HT aware of this. If it helps, he can talk to our ICT Coordinator to see how painless it was to change.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is the thing. Every one of my other schools manage perfectly well without Winsuite. they can log on using FS or KS1 or their users which is normally something like 9fs for example. he's very stuck in his ways. He always thinks that he can control things using winsuite because he has the administrator password to get into the console. He doesn't realise, yet, that i took all the control away.

One thing I'm going to play hard is the licensing issue. They are currently 10 machines over their license so it pops up everytime anyone logs on telling you that fact. Hopefully He'll see the extra expense just isn't worth it.

One other thing I'd thought of, i don't think there is an easy way to get it off the clients, in order to install from the newly installed version on the new server so a possible re-image of all 70 clients would add to the installation time.. nightmare

Thank Post
    if you do keep winsuite as long as you install the same version i cant remember reinstalling clients but i could be wrong its been a long time (and new server always ends up with old servers name)

17. Thanks to sted from:

Jon
    Thank Post
    as far as im aware there is 0 functional difference between 2008 and 2003 domain levels you only have the option there for consistency with other versions of server
    These are the differences that I am aware of

Distributed File System replication support for SYSVOL,
    Advanced encryption,
    Last Interactive Logon information,
    Fine-grained password policies (Have not used this but could be very usefull)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    and new server always ends up with old servers name)
    Thats the bit i was wondering. If the paths would / could be updated or whether it would need iradicating from the network completely before I could re-install.

I had to install some software on the computers the other day, then spend half an hour putting the new sub menus into Winsuite, and the buttons and the locating the icons because the head wanted the correct icons next to the button.. aghh !!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast